Xing Yi Academy Showreel

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xing Yi Academy Showreel

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri May 15, 2015 5:44 am

We've been trying to put together some clips and vlog posts but still getting used to the camera and equipment and not saying "errm" every two seconds.

So to keep momentum rolling my partner in crime Joe spliced together a bit of existing footage we took last year to show a little taste of what we do. Unfortunately we haven't filmed any fighty stuff yet but I'm planning to get some this weekend and next week.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Qs86JGfzjPo[/youtube]

Difficult to see on the first few seconds but I'm using Ci (needles), then we have... little bit of beng quan, monkey, jian, tiny bit of dragon with a pao quan, tiny bit of some very basic Yan Yi, and a mixed linking sequence I made up myself done with a bit of energy :)

Hope you enjoy. We'll be trying to do more of this stuff for entertainment value as well as interesting blog discussions and eventually the online courses.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Re: Xing Yi Academy Showreel

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri May 15, 2015 8:45 am

Clip didn't post.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Fri May 15, 2015 8:54 am

Looks like it doesn't like youtu.be links - fixy:

mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Oliver 101 on Fri May 15, 2015 1:53 pm

-
Last edited by Oliver 101 on Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver 101
Anjing

Postby Graculus on Fri May 15, 2015 6:02 pm

We know who you like, Oliver, but don't you think you could make some specific criticisms rather than these blanket statements? If you really feel such a need to rubbish anyone who doesn't match up to your standards, at least explain in what way it is 'really bad'.

Graculus
http://www.ichijoji.blogspot.com
Graculus
Huajing

Postby edededed on Fri May 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Nice clips, interesting to finally see some more material from you guys.

One question - I noticed that you are using the sword in the left hand - is that the norm in your line, or do you just do both sides? :)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Sun May 17, 2015 11:31 am

Sword was actually in my right hand. My mate Joe who edited the video mirrored the image because "it flows better going left to right". So it was in the right hand but due to the effects of digital wizardry its shown in my left.

any feedback or criticism would be welcomed. I didn't see Oliver's comment but if he wants to tell me what he thinks I'd be happy to discuss anything.

I taught a workshop today and we did some filming so we might have something more on our youtube this week showing some teaching footage.

P
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun May 17, 2015 2:55 pm

The bits where you undulate and isolate the back, arms and shoulder - are these part of a form or basics? Also you sway the back when doing po/fire and a little in bung. It's not charateristic of the xy I've done so is this part of the version you practise or is it a personal expression?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Pandrews1982 on Mon May 18, 2015 12:58 am

The undulating bit was a little bit of a practice we call Yan Yi, it is a free form movement exercise, the only real rule is that the body has to remain connected throughout, other than that you could do any movement you like. We build up to spontaneous smooth free movement by beginning slowly and feeling for body connection in some foundational exercises, that bit on the video was me doing a few movements from the foundational Yan Yi.

All our movement and force generation should come from the upper waist, this includes the bowing, twisting and waving of the spine through this area. For beginners I will show the five elements usually simplified without much emphasis on the back or waist to get the general movement and structure correct, but as they progress I will show them more of how to move from the waist and spine. We call this Dragon Body and it is a core principle in our style.

I would usually practice sequences at a lower intensity but I wanted to show some expression of energy and character in the demonstration.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Mon May 18, 2015 2:05 am

Pandrews1982 wrote:All our movement and force generation should come from the upper waist, this includes the bowing, twisting and waving of the spine through this area.

Which is why I ask - the undulation seems to separate the power from the legs which seems different.
Have you got examples of how you apply this?

Pandrews1982 wrote:I would usually practice sequences at a lower intensity but I wanted to show some expression of energy and character in the demonstration.

I thought the intensity was fine. If anything even more is a wonderful thing.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Pandrews1982 on Mon May 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Yes, we try to completely separate from the legs.

We will be filming lots more stuff very soon but I'm actually on vacation for the next three weeks going to Bulgaria and Ibiza. I'm going to try to film and post up a few blogs or add articles to the website blog during this time but I won't have any footage of partner practice until I return. I will try to do something which clearly shows the connection with the upper waist and spine.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm

" force generation from the upper waist ", ? " " yes we try to separate completely from the legs ",? Yet you try to keep the body connected, it sounds contradictory. Can you explain further?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 pm

I don't know what Paul meant by separating the legs either, and we have the same teacher!

All I can say is that there is a coherant method for producing power from the body rather than the extremities. We don't use the dantien specifically as the power source but rather this 'upper waist' and spine combo. Some lines of Yi quan, which comes from Guo yin Shen lineage Xingyi also, don't talk about dan tien either, for the same reasons, I think - just personal opinion there. It's very 'politically correct' to go via the dan tien route for explanations these days, but I'm not sure it's so possible to reconcile such vastly different arts from different countries teachers and lineages under one unifying theory.

I think that when you move really fast and with lots of power it's harder to maintain the connection, or at least it starts to look more isolated to an observer.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wushutiger on Tue May 19, 2015 12:12 am

Xingyi's goal is ultimately a whole body unified movement and power. Labels and names for this concept are simply that, labels and names.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby Marko on Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:" force generation from the upper waist ", ? " " yes we try to separate completely from the legs ",? Yet you try to keep the body connected, it sounds contradictory. Can you explain further?

Hey guys. I've been lurking for a while here, this is my first post.

I don't know Paul, nor do I train Xing Yi, so I'm not trying to speak for him, but I thought to offer a taiji point of view on this.

I train the Ip/Snake style from Ip Tai Tak/Bob Boyd through some of his European students. It seems to me that what Paul is talking about force generation, zhongwen and separation of legs is close to what we do in Snake style.

We, too, don't stress dantian in our training focusing on the upper waist/solar plexus area as the center/origin of movement. The power is generated from pulsing/flexing and twisting of the thoracic spine. This makes the feet feel lighter.

However, there is building the connections through pulling silk which involves engaging the iliopsoas muscle and coordinating it with the spine, so that when the thoracic spine starts to work it pulls the legs through the upper part of the iliopsoas which then pulls the femoral heads. So the legs are connected, but the connection feels "lighter" than when using the lower waist and the pelvic region.

I'm not sure if I managed to get a clear description, hopefully the first post doesn't reed as an incoherent jumble ;D
Marko
Anjing

Next

Return to Video Links