Qian Zhaohong walks through his XinYi applications.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Qian Zhaohong walks through his XinYi applications.

Postby aamc on Thu May 21, 2015 3:26 pm

I thought there were lots of interesting applications.

Andrew
aamc
Wuji

Re: Qian Zhaohong walks through his XinYi applications.

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

I would like to see him do it with someone who wasn't intimidated and moved at the same speed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby aamc on Thu May 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Rumsoaked fist bingo!
aamc
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 pm

aamc wrote:

I thought there were lots of interesting applications.

Andrew

Me too. He's very proactive in his approach and I think this gives the impression of a bird swooping ("The raptor swooped down on its prey"; "The teacher swooped down upon the new students") As for the students being a little intimidated well isn't the rabbit frightened of the hawk. :)
willywrong

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 21, 2015 11:39 pm

Not this rabbit
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Fri May 22, 2015 12:44 am

Good stuff.

Re Wayne's comment:
When all is said and done, he is just demoing apps on a student. Maybe, in other situations, he bangs a bit more. Maybe not.

The bigger problem with CMA is that this is what passes for "combat training" in many instances.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri May 22, 2015 1:30 am

wayne hansen wrote:I would like to see him do it with someone who wasn't intimidated and moved at the same speed

Andy_S wrote:Re Wayne's comment:
When all is said and done, he is just demoing apps on a student. Maybe, in other situations, he bangs a bit more. Maybe not.
The bigger problem with CMA is that this is what passes for "combat training" in many instances.

Well... He is called "Chainsaw" for a reason. He has a very good fighting record, always accept challenges and has never been beaten. Well, that's what his student told me.
The stories might be exaggerated to some extent, but I believe that part of it is true and that he has good skill in his arts. And according to the student, it's very hard to not become intimidated when your against the Chainsaw. When he tried to attack him and spar with him more freely, he was all over the place and very, very fast.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri May 22, 2015 1:03 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I would like to see him do it with someone who wasn't intimidated and moved at the same speed

Anyone with any specific ideas on how to counter the things, or anyone thing they see here ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Get me right I'm not saying he didn't have skill
Only it would have been better shown with a more realistic approach
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri May 22, 2015 3:26 pm

No, I understand what you're saying, and surely not to take away from what he has, but small things such at the very beginning for instance. " what if " I step out from the back foot my hand following my body brushing off his groin attack, him no longer having my weak side to bump. Again I realize these are teaching demos, and judging by the way he speeds up at times to change the scheme could force his reaction. Many is the time, in demo if someone moved left instead of right we have been thankful for our teachers control as he stops his change infront of your face or what ever the target, looking straight into your eyes with pure intent, only to say " hey! You be careful " , bringing back to the technique being demoed.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Fri May 22, 2015 4:23 pm

In MA, there is no "assigned reading" before class. So we're taught basic concepts and we practice those same basic concepts at the same time. Clearly this is what is happening here. For the student to resist, especially these students who clearly are beginners, wouldn't make much sense would it? We're just learning vocabulary and concept land for complex use of multiple concepts and applications. If they resisted? He's kick their asses.

It's unreasonable to think you can critique a teacher's art based on what we're seeing here.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby aamc on Fri May 22, 2015 4:45 pm

It's unreasonable to think you can critique a teacher's art based on what we're seeing here.

(Y)
aamc
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri May 22, 2015 4:59 pm

allen2saint wrote:In MA, there is no "assigned reading" before class. So we're taught basic concepts and we practice those same basic concepts at the same time. Clearly this is what is happening here. For the student to resist, especially these students who clearly are beginners, wouldn't make much sense would it? We're just learning vocabulary and concept land for complex use of multiple concepts and applications. If they resisted? He's kick their asses.

Exactly, now we're looking at the pictures, the same as f it were after the game prepping g for the next, and the question is what should/could we have done, the same adjustments the coach makes after a game.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 pm

It looked to me like Qian was not doing any rote applications, he was just showing the concept and taking whatever was available. You could go through and look for counters to each move, but it would just open up something else. With that discrepancy in skill, I find it more useful to look at what the teacher is doing rather than worry about what the student might have done. Qian's got great balance that he can move in any direction or strike with any limb at any time. To my eye he just reeks of bad-assery. It interesting how people can see such different things from the same video.

FWIW, I don't necessarily think that the student was a beginner-- it's hard to tell. There are mountains and then there are Mountains...
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby AJG on Fri May 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Wayne makes a very good point. I like how Qian moves, however like many teachers we never ever see anything demonstrated at a realistic speed and intent.

There are probably a number of reasons for this

1. These teachers know their stuff however haven't practiced that hard for quite some time so there could be some uncertainty around demonstrating at speed.
2. Its possible the applications don't work as well at speed.
3. The concept of "face" in martial arts and/or a culture of unrealistic expectations from a teacher. If a teacher does an application at speed and it somehow it doesn't work there is the belief by either the teacher or student that their credibility will be impacted. The result is demonstrating applications while keeping it safe to avoid any adverse results.

Teachers are not invincible and as soon as we move away from that idea the better things will get.

Alex
AJG
Anjing

Next

Return to Video Links