Qian Zhaohong walks through his XinYi applications.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Qian Zhaohong walks through his XinYi applications.

Postby Spncr on Sun May 24, 2015 5:26 pm

wuwei sifu wrote:why are questions asked continually about hardcore application demo's on videos where it's clear that's not the point of the teaching demo in the film. for goodness sakes the redundancy on that issue is sad imho.

++
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Ian on Sun May 24, 2015 9:06 pm

wuwei sifu wrote:why are questions asked continually about hardcore application demo's on videos where it's clear that's not the point of the teaching demo in the film. for goodness sakes the redundancy on that issue is sad imho.

People are saying it would be nice if the uke acted more realistically, which would allow the tori to also act more realistically.

You can easily do this at low intensity and without people getting hurt.

Nobody's saying they want to see a "hardcore application demo"... ::)
Ian

Postby dspyrido on Mon May 25, 2015 12:56 am

aamc wrote:The slip under the elbow followed by the straight to the chest, the spear strike to the throat that changed to a fist. I thought these were the most sneaky :-)

What about yourself?

I practise xy so most of the stuff he did was text book. I did though smile a few times as I have been on exactly the same sort of learning process having had my shins kicked, slapped around with a few nice hits to my body and head and bones locked up. All in the name of learning.

I did like seeing the little kick to the shin. It's not a sparring move but definitely useful when you have shoes on and are at punching or even elbow range. It really hurts, takes next to no effort, does not require any setup, if you miss you can just do another and it can be done in conjunction with a stack of other moves. It's a great little surprise attack.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 am

dspyrido wrote:I did like seeing the little kick to the shin. It's not a sparring move but definitely useful when you have shoes on and are at punching or even elbow range. It really hurts, takes next to no effort, does not require any setup, if you miss you can just do another and it can be done in conjunction with a stack of other moves. It's a great little surprise attack.

A great little move, indeed. :) Just one of hundreds of different things that you can do in a fight, but misses it's point or can not really be done in sparring.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon May 25, 2015 11:36 am

Ian wrote:

People are saying it would be nice if the uke acted more realistically, which would allow the tori to also act more realistically.

You can easily do this at low intensity and without people getting hurt.

Nobody's saying they want to see a "hardcore application demo"... ::)

Of course, I'm not going to disagree and I think for the most part we would all prefer that, but it also gets tiring listening to people complain over and over that this is not the context of this or that video... Unfortunately, its not the context of a lot of videos, so its time to accept reality and stop complaining! Or not :P , complain if you must people ;)
Last edited by Spncr on Mon May 25, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby AJG on Wed May 27, 2015 12:52 am

Lets make it very simple for all to understand

1. Slow attack, slow defence
2. Fast attack, fast defence

If go slow, no can defend fast.
AJG
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Spncr are we just here to go rah rah and say everything is fantastic
I have been training daily since 1973 in the internal arts
I am not talking about this clip because I think it has some merit
If those who have a little knowledge don't point out the pros and cons of clips offered
All that happens is those trying to find their way waste time on paths that may lead nowhere
There is a lot of stuff presented here and praised that honestly is of low quality
Take what is said with a grain of salt
For in reality the only way something can be passed on is from hand to hand
I have touched hands with very few people on this site
But those I have know I speak the truth
The main reason I am here is because people here seek out clips I don't have the time or inclanation to find
Just so I can present them in my own sites for people who have touched hands with me
I know many people here think my opinions have little valadation
That's fine
However for others I hope my views may be of some little help
While I am raving on some people here have asked to be facebook friends
Don't be offended if I reject your request because I only accept those I have met in person
Last edited by wayne hansen on Wed May 27, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Wed May 27, 2015 9:42 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Spncr are we just here to go rah rah and say everything is fantastic

Haha, please no! That sounds terrible! No, not at all. As i said:

Spncr wrote:Of course, I'm not going to disagree...but it also gets tiring listening to people complain over and over that this is not the context of this or that video... Unfortunately, its not the context of a lot of videos, so its time to accept reality and stop complaining! Or not :P , complain if you must people ;)

Just bored of reading complaints about clips not being realistic or fighty enough or whatever (please note: everything that is not a real fight is therefor, not realistic or fighty enough!), but thats just my own issue to deal with :P and I'll try an keep it to myself I suppose... ;)
Last edited by Spncr on Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu May 28, 2015 1:14 am

I think what's lacking is specifics. If you think it's flawed, what specifically makes it so, if you think there is a place that can be better, how so, what's the specific counter it may be vulnerable to or the defense it allows with ease. Show your own understanding by a discussion of your own ideas through a virtual sparring session. Nothing wrong with cyber fu on the interwebz. -shrug-
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 pm

This would be a good test if it was all about technique
However the internal arts are about formlessness
And by that I mean adapting to the changes in our opponent
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 pm

wayne hansen wrote:However the internal arts are about formlessness
And by that I mean adapting to the changes in our opponent

+1

I have never understood why so many people in IMA tend to practice those techniques from stationary positions like Jujutsu or Karate styles. "If he does that, I do this". :-\
"adapting to the changes in our opponent" means that you need to practice while you're in movement, working with the changes of your partner. I almost never see anything even close to "following & adapting" in IMA application instruction vids. :P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Because few have taken the time to practice from static posture long enough to ingrain the technique. Only then do you know the ability to change with the situation, only then will you learn how then form fights, and only the can you move on to formlessness.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Thu May 28, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu May 28, 2015 4:53 pm

The initial move can be from a static start
That is what happens in many real life situations
After that adaptation is essential
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri May 29, 2015 6:12 am

I didn't mean standing still. I meant from a frozen, extended posture. IRL, people don't freeze so you can do anything to them. they tend to move and maybe even defend themselves. :/
Last edited by Bao on Fri May 29, 2015 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri May 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Bao wrote:they tend to move and maybe even defend themselves.

Not if the first hit is hard enough. I've found it hard to defend myself while standing basically unconscious on my feet a few times....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links