Eli Montaigue story so far

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Eli Montaigue story so far

Postby GrahamB on Sun May 31, 2015 5:56 am

Now, I can't say I'm a fan of the material myself, but it's a cool video clip showing improvement over 10 years of training:

http://youtu.be/pxp9bhaUH2k
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Eli Montaigue story so far

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2015 8:23 am

Thank you for sharing. A very nice portrait and a nice vway to celebrate his art and his father. Yes, he seems to have improved.

... Someone who knows if he only practiced with his father or did he ever try his wings outside the nest?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun May 31, 2015 6:38 pm

Wot Graham says.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:58 am

I wonder if he told his kids the truth about where his stuff came from or if he perpetuated the same nonsense as in public?

Still, not the worst tai chi in the world and nice to see the progress through the video.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 pm

northern_mantis wrote:I wonder if he told his kids the truth about where his stuff came from or if he perpetuated the same nonsense as in public?

So where did it come from?
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Bao wrote:Thank you for sharing. A very nice portrait and a nice vway to celebrate his art and his father. Yes, he seems to have improved.

... Someone who knows if he only practiced with his father or did he ever try his wings outside the nest?

I have never spoke to him personally but from my involvement with the WTBA it is very insular and very few people dabble elsewhere. Certainly not in a cultish way as far as I can tell, in fact everybody I have met within the organisation has been very nice. However all other arts are criticised and their own promoted as the deadliest and most authentic. Shame really, despite being at least in part from the imagination of Erle it has some cool stuff.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:30 pm

E Montaigue, pere, was a decent chap!
I corresponded with him a few times and we exchanged information on taijiquan. He even sent me a videotape of his Yang style.

There are a few people who I met and they stated that when he went on his China trips, he met many teachers of the "Old Yang" (specifics I am ignorant of) School (yep, they all claimed to be the real "Yang", whether Yang style, Yang family, Yang disciple is a mystery) but he did meet the multitudes and I am guessing he attempted to sort out the wheat from the chaff, like the rest of us.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:33 pm

northern_mantis wrote:I have never spoke to him personally but from my involvement with the WTBA it is very insular and very few people dabble elsewhere. Certainly not in a cultish way as far as I can tell, in fact everybody I have met within the organisation has been very nice. However all other arts are criticised and their own promoted as the deadliest and most authentic.

I have had that feeling. But all commercial schools promote themselves in similar ways.

yeniseri wrote:E Montaigue, pere, was a decent chap!
I corresponded with him a few times and we exchanged information on taijiquan. He even sent me a videotape of his Yang style.

People I have spoken with all says that he was very generous and open. IMHO, that's a very good trait.

but he did meet the multitudes and I am guessing he attempted to sort out the wheat from the chaff, like the rest of us.

In the end, it's all a question of personal taste and interest I guess. In retrospective, I believe he did something great for the tai chi world, not by things like insisting that the original name for tai chi was Dim Mak. But for showing a very different type of tai chi that didn't need to be slow, harmonious and that he didn't have the urge to dress up in a shiny pajama. Just by being there and show himself, he had an impact on many people who looked for more and strived to find the practical, martial side of Tai Chi, regardless of where they eventually ended up.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:19 pm

This is part of a video taken by Erle when he made a China trip!
It shows Wang Xinmu, the one who choreographed the Beijing 48 shi taijiquan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xwz5MyKdo
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby hodmeist on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:06 am

Eli has definitely improved a lot over the years.
I remember when he initially attended Erle's classes as an "assistant" and he was not impressive at all - especially in comparison to his father. Then a couple of years ago, I attended a workshop, more in Erle's memory, and I was pleasantly surprised at how far Eli had progressed. He has a long way to go yet to get near Erle's final level but it will not be for the lack of trying. Erle's premature passing shoved him into the limelight probably five years too soon but he has handled it well mostly although some of Erle's senior students broke away, there are others who have remained within the WTBA. His journey will be interesting....
hodmeist
Anjing

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:12 am

WTBA it is very insular and very few people dabble elsewhere.

I have heard this is true also, but with that said I do have a couple of guys from this group traveling to train with me at the moment. They are really nice, committed guys who are eager to sort the 'wheat from the chaff' as you say.

I always thought Erle came across as a naturally tough chap, especially in his younger years. He could have done any art and been handy in a tussle i think.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby hodmeist on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 am

I have heard this is true also, but with that said I do have a couple of guys from this group traveling to train with me at the moment. They are really nice, committed guys who are eager to sort the 'wheat from the chaff' as you say.
That is good to read.
He could have done any art and been handy in a tussle i think
I make you right. He was a lovely man and a good friend but would be a nasty b....... in a fight.
hodmeist
Anjing

Postby dspyrido on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:19 pm

northern_mantis wrote:Shame really, despite being at least in part from the imagination of Erle it has some cool stuff.

Which parts where they? Heresay, physical evidence or speculation?

Not that origin stories matter to me or that I train erles stuff at all but just curious.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

middleway wrote:
WTBA it is very insular and very few people dabble elsewhere.

I always thought Erle came across as a naturally tough chap, especially in his younger years. He could have done any art and been handy in a tussle i think.

I am sure they would get sick of the - "I've got a few weeks, have done 3 lessons in mma and want to learn the death touch". There's a lot of fly by nighters in martial arts who waste peoples time.

As for erle I never did his stuff but in an age pre-internet and the chinese being the only real martial arts masters (according to the chinese masters ::) who hid behind a veil of secrecy it always surprised me how generous the guy was with information, tapes, seminars, books etc. That and at least he seemed happy to test himself on pads and other human beings.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Hodmiest where did you see earl in a fight
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links