Steven Seagal shows his aikido skills at Sambo tournament

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Steven Seagal shows his aikido skills at Sambo tournament

Postby windwalker on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:59 am

While promoting that film, Seagal gave an interview for the Los Angeles Times in which he obliquely referred to work he’d done for the CIA in Japan. “They saw my abilities, both with martial arts and with the language,” he said. “You could say that I became an advisor to several CIA agents in the field and through my friends in the CIA, met many powerful people and did special works and special favors.”

According to Vanity Fair, his first wife stated flatly, “He was never in the CIA.”

an ex wife, sure she is impartial, no ax to grind. ;)

He never said he was in the CIA, he alleges that he did some work for them but does not mention what type or kind. Last time I checked the CIA is not in the habit of confirming or denying things written or said by people outside the agency.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:00 pm

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:34 pm

windwalker wrote:
Unbeknownst to many, in 1997 Seagal publicly announced that one of his Buddhist teachers, His Holiness Penor Rinpoche, had accorded Seagal as a tulku, the reincarnation of a Buddhist Lama. This initial announcement was met with some disbelief until Penor Rinpoche himself gave a confirmation statement on Seagal's new title. Seagal has repeatedly discussed his involvement in Buddhism and how he devotes many hours studying and meditating this ancient Eastern religion.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000219/bio

At the age of 13, Seagal lied about his age and got a job as a dishwasher at a restaurant named The Wagon Wheel.[citation needed] One of the cooks at the restaurant was a Japanese shotokan karate expert and noticed Seagal moved very quickly around the kitchen. He taught Seagal the basics of karate. Seagal began training in aikido under master Harry Kiyoshi Ishisaka, founder of the Orange County Aikido School (Orange County Aiki Kai) (OCAK) in 1964.

Seagal considers him to have been the most important martial arts teacher in his life. Seagal moved to Japan at some point between the ages of 19 and 21 with his father who was visiting for military purposes, and met karate masters and decided to remain in Japan. He received his 1st dan degree (Shodan) under the direction of Koichi Tohei. He continued to train in aikido as a student of Seiseki Abe, Tohei (whose aikido organization, Ki Society, Seagal refused to join in favor of staying with the Aikikai), Kisaburo Osawa, Hiroshi Isoyama and the second doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba.

He attained a 7th dan degree and Shihan in aikido and became the first foreigner to operate an aikido dojo in Japan.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Seagal#Aikido

I'd say he has / had an interesting life.

His present wife is Mongolian

seems like being an actor the line between who he is, and what he has to become to act is may become blurred at times.
is this not true for most people, the outer and inner self.

+1 Make a great movie. :)
willywrong

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:40 pm

windwalker wrote:seems like being an actor the line between who he is, and what he has to become to act is may become blurred at times.

No. Absolutely and unequivocally no.

There are crazy people who use acting to rationalize their bullshit, but that doesn't make them less crazy or better actors.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Bhassler wrote:
windwalker wrote:seems like being an actor the line between who he is, and what he has to become to act is may become blurred at times.

There are crazy people who use acting to rationalize their bullshit, but that doesn't make them less crazy or better actors.

Are you saying he is crazy, or that he's not a good actor?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Thin Ice on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 am

Why not both?
Thin Ice
Santi

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:18 am

windwalker wrote:
Bhassler wrote:

Are you saying he is crazy, or that he's not a good actor?

I'm saying that your assertion is absurd and bordering on insulting to anyone who's actually put in the work to become a legitimate actor.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm saying that your assertion is absurd and bordering on insulting to anyone who's actually put in the work to become a legitimate actor

I guess you missed the point of my post being about "This" actor

yep those who put in the work would and apparently do know, do you?

It proves a challenge for actors to come out of character after employing method acting techniques, sometimes altering their behavior, urging them to follow impulses that would be foreign to their own personal nature. This difficulty of returning to one’s own behavior is the common concern linked with method acting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycholog ... hod_acting
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Well, at least one of us is professionally trained as an actor and regularly associates with working professionals in the business. But hey, if you want to go to Wikipedia as an authority on the subject, I'm sure that's much more accurate and relevant.

I didn't miss your point about "this" actor, BTW. If that's your opinion about the man, then fine, but it has everything to do with crazy is as crazy does, and little or nothing to do with vocation.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Method acting?!!?! Seriously?

We're not talking Daniel Day-Lewis here - please excuse my English but this is important - let me say it how it is:

Steven Seagal is a fucking fuck with fucking stick on hair and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever!

There is no need to intellectualise some "artistic" reason for his incredible douchiness - he owns that.

http://www.vice.com/read/steven-seagal- ... t-guy-ever

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Well, at least one of us is professionally trained as an actor and regularly associates with working professionals in the business. But hey, if you want to go to Wikipedia as an authority on the subject, I'm sure that's much more accurate and relevant.

You should have tired addressing the other comments about a fellow actor if you are one.
My comment was in his support offering a possible contributing factor to some of the post made about him.

If you are "professionally trained" and all the other things mentioned seems like you should understand the process.
what ever....Its not just Wikipedia that list it other sources also talk about it, ,,,,seems some people in the industry have problems with this...

As to the OP,
liked his early work, dont care much for his latest work,,,,
seems like he had and has an interesting life.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm

I don't give a damn about Seagal one way or the other.

Saying that method acting causes crazy is like saying that practicing martial arts causes violence. There is definitely a correlation at times (see: Heath Ledger), but the practice is not the source of the issue.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm

mrtoes wrote:Method acting?!!?! Seriously?

We're not talking Daniel Day-Lewis here - please excuse my English but this is important - let me say it how it is:

Steven Seagal is a fucking fuck with fucking stick on hair and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever!

There is no need to intellectualise some "artistic" reason for his incredible douchiness - he owns that.

http://www.vice.com/read/steven-seagal- ... t-guy-ever

Matthew

dont hold back, tell us how you really feel about him.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Just did :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Bhassler wrote:I don't give a damn about Seagal one way or the other.

Saying that method acting causes crazy is like saying that practicing martial arts causes violence. There is definitely a correlation at times (see: Heath Ledger), but the practice is not the source of the issue.

apparently you do.

project much :-\ never said method acting causes crazy, you did.
ok its not the source of the issue. What is the issue?

You dont like his acting, his MA skill is not real, he didnt study with the people he says he trained with.

Either way, he's had an interesting life, and has met some interesting people
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links