Snake Baguazhang

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Snake Baguazhang

Postby Bob on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2TYs9kF1EE

SNAKE BAGUAZHANG FORM

Published on Jun 17, 2015
The main feature of Yin Fu Baguazhang is that its palms (techniques) are YING 硬 掌 (yìng zhang) , i.e. they are 'hard' techniques, in opposition to Cheng Tinghua's 'SOFT' palms (柔掌) . It could be said that Yin style of Baguazhang has strong influxes and forms too (linear forms) from Shaolin. Therefore, you can recognize if a style comes from Yin Fu by its hardness! So different from Cheng style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyld54IIA6g

snake techniques, elbow and knee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3OXL8r9qnM

Yin style bagua halfmoon swords

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Snake Baguazhang

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:34 am

Here's a PDF (in Chinese) that explains the different levels/stages/phases of Internal Power: http://homepage.ntu.edu.tw/~changym01/t ... 0force.pdf
The first stage is learning Ying Jin (Hard Force), second is Jiang-Rou Jin (Rigid Soft Force), 3rd is Song-Chen Jin (Loose Sinking Force), 4th is Qingling Jin (Light and Agile Force), and then finally the highest level is Xuwu Jin (Nothingness Force).

Why Yin Fu Baguazhang is called the Ying Zhang (Hard Palm), is because everyone has to learn and pass beyond this level of internal power, and the easiest way to pass-down/ transmit some of the higher level Jins, to a student, is to do the application on them. Since it's relatively easy to learn through touch, Yin Fu mandated that everyone's first movements in a fight would be using their Ying Jin (Hard Power), if they could win the fight with just Ying Jin, then all the better, but if the opponent was good, then start resorting to one's higher levels of skills. It's just a way to keep the higher level skills of the system a better secret to outsiders. But this also sort of became a motto or demeanor of the whole school- 硬挺 Yingting (endure with all one's will),硬著頭皮 Yingzhetoupi (Summon up courage), 硬殼 Yingke (put on a hard shell - Ma Gui really embraced this idea), 硬氣 Yingqi (firm; unyielding; strong-willed), etc.

Don't yield, unless you have to yield.

So the Snake System is a really high level system of Yin Fu Baguazhang and represents 軟硬兼施 Ruǎn​yìng​jiān​shī (Using a gentle method to hide force; or an iron hand hidden inside a velvet glove).

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:47 am

Thanks for that great explanation - you need a book on the market - no joke!
Bob
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:50 am

This Italian dude has been around forever and from what I've been able to tell is mostly just a forms collector. I wouldn't put any credence in any of his stuff.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 am

What Segs said.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:42 am

I think he may be more than just a forms collector, but he has learned several different styles of bagua from a number of teachers and is mixing up their energies in his own way. He also may not have learned any system fully. That's OK if you make it clear that's what it is, but then you should just call it bagua or turning palm. IMHO, etc.

The snake constricting force is like one of those special knots you can rope someone up with that tightens whenever he moves but never loosens. There are some Chinese variations which go round the throat and are used to torture to death by slow strangulation. Since no-one can remain still forever he eventually kills himself.
Last edited by lazyboxer on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:30 am

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:05 am

I don't know where he stood with the late Dr. Xie Peiqi but there he is learning bagua in the home of Dr. Xie Peiqi. You are right - he has a ton of material! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mcWQuue0o

Uploaded on May 4, 2009
We need more documentation on Xie Peiqi, this monument of old kungfu. In this spirit i provide this video (1993) . I hope more persons add their videos.

Xie Peiqi explains Longxing Ling

Dr Xie Peiqi lectures on bagua stepping

Xie Peiqi explains dai-ling
Bob
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 am

Bringing this back up. Since Jinbao has started teaching the Snake system more, I think the movements in this form are pretty accurate, although it’s a collection of short forms done back to back.
Snake has an unlimited number of forms because it’s working so tightly on the opponent that a form really only has one wrapping and binding continuous application. So every sequence of applications is something you practice as a form.
This video doesn’t even begin to convey how ruthless the Snake forms are. But it’s a good teaser.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Return to Video Links