Martial Arts Studies conference

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Martial Arts Studies conference

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:00 am

http://martialartsstudies.blogspot.co.u ... ynote.html

Video of some of the keynotes from the recent Martial Arts Studies conference in Cardiff. The first ever conference on a new and emerging field of academia.

Warning - these are academics talking to other academics - it's not always easy listening!

(Haven't watched these myself yet).
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Martial Arts Studies conference

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 am

Just started watching this one - Douglas Farrer - Silat/ Southern Preying Mantis/ and more - I think you could say he's a serious martial artists by anybody's standards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjvQfrQgIk
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:28 am

Awesome!! some watching to be done! thanks for this
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 am

GrahamB wrote:Just started watching this one - Douglas Farrer - Silat/ Southern Preying Mantis/ and more - I think you could say he's a serious martial artists by anybody's standards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjvQfrQgIk

Just finished this one - it really is superb. Apparently Doug studied clf with my Sifu back in the '80s, too.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Nice find. Yeah wow, he is serious, surprised he finds time to sleep.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:52 pm

found this too

The film "Art of Silat" regards Malay culture through dance and martial arts in Singapore, Malaysia, and England and provides a visual accompaniment to D.S. Farrer's ethnographic book Shadows of the Prophet: Martial Arts & Sufi Mysticism (Springer, 2009). The Malay martial art, silat, is enacted through wedding dance, martial arts, violence, magic, film and theater. The film charts initiation into the cult of silat, via divination, where the spirit of an ancestral warrior is summoned into a lime. The lime is cut by a guru silat (master) to decipher the initiate's elemental personality, whether fire, air, earth or water. The following boiling oil ritual sees hundreds of coconuts chopped to extract their milk to be strained into cauldrons. Forty men say continuous prayers as they boil the milk to prevent the oil from burning the initiates later when they plunge their hands into it. In medieval times the oil bath (mandi minyak) was used as a juridical test of veracity. Those who could pass their hands unscathed through the oil (or molten tin, or lead) were pronounced innocent. From trial by ordeal the mandi minyak became an invulnerability rite. In Singapore the rite was stopped due to links with al'Qaeda training camps. In contemporary Islamic Malaysia, however, the bath in boiling oil is billed as a therapeutic exercise, albeit participants husk coconuts with their teeth, split the nuts with their bare hands, and engage in wild ludic sparring. As outsiders travel to Malaysia to learn silat, Malaysians journey to England to stage a show in London. During rehearsals one man loses a finger to a machete. Filmic motifs include lines drawn between this realm—the shadow realm—and the ultimate reality of the afterlife; and magical circles regarded as portals to divine mystical power. A cacophony of machine sounds interspersed with haunting music recorded in situ combines with a bricolage observational style to present a provocative view of traditional arts within Islamic Malay modernity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clWkgY53WXM

The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:14 pm

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mikemantis on Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 pm

Douglas Farrer is also a Chow Gar Sifu under Paul Whitrod.
"If in doubt, gau choi!!!"
mikemantis
Mingjing

Postby jim on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:30 am

Fascinating.

Douglas Farrer is speaking about my old school in Singapore as a secret society and I was always being told the opposite - that WE were the good guys and the Bak Hok people were the criminals! Of course, i was a child - probably not information that needs to be shared with children...

Thanks for posting this - really enjoying it.
jim
Anjing

Return to Video Links