Fajin woo woo hop breakdown

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Fajin woo woo hop breakdown

Postby charles on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:49 am

GrahamB wrote:Here's the latest one - an outing of Adam Mizner again. I saw the original video from Adam yesterday and I did find it highly annoying, mainly because it's nonsense, so I'm glad Stuart has done this breakdown and goes into the psychology of how these things happen. Slow motion reveals all! Make sure you can hear the audio:

Other than, "Everyone needs a hobby", I don't see the point in all this.

It is a given that there are people in all walks of life in all disciplines who present things that are not factual and attempt to convince other people that they are factual. This is not limited to "martial arts" or "health arts". And, just as there are those who present falsities, there are those who feel it is their role in life (hobby/profession) to prove to the world that these are false. Some people become famous through their debunking, others rich.

It seems like a noble crusade, to debunk all in life that needs to be, but in truth, there are always those who, as Mr. Shaw points out, just want to believe. That makes the believers happy and makes the person spreading the falsities happy. If one doesn't find merit in what someone else is presenting, or finds it to be false, it isn't an imperative that one "save the world", and all of the people in it, from these falsities. If one doesn't like what another is selling, don't buy it. Caveat emptor. If one feels compelled to "save the world", for whatever personal reasons one feels such a need, well, go for it. I suggest, however, that time is better spent in improving one's own skills and those of one's own students, rather than spend one's efforts in cutting down others. Build-up, or cut-down, it's a choice that each of us must make in our own lives and how we spend our relatively short time on the planet.

With so much knowledge, skill and insight - sufficient to debunk everyone else - why not focus on showing people how to develop true skills and abilities?

Bingo!
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 am

Well Charles, using your own logic, why did you bother to write that post?

Cutting down frauds is wrong, but cutting down people who cut down frauds is fine. Hmmm... Let me go think about that....
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:42 am

charles wrote: I suggest, however, that time is better spent in improving one's own skills and those of one's own students, rather than spend one's efforts in cutting down others. Build-up, or cut-down, it's a choice that each of us must make in our own lives and how we spend our relatively short time on the planet.!

Well said. +1

GrahamB wrote:Cutting down frauds is wrong, but cutting down people who cut down frauds is fine. Hmmm... Let me go think about that....

LOL! Wow... how do you read? :o You put in words that are not there. "it's a choice that each of us must make in our own lives " He didn't write anywhere that it's wrong. In a sense, he said it's stupid, but that's quite different from stating that something is wrong.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 am

Well, Stuarts video is a criticism.... Charles post is a criticism of this criticism, for being a criticism... isn't the hypocrisy obvious?

Hey, let's take this to the next level - didn't the Catholic Church have the same attitude to not exposing sex offenders in priesthood? I hope that example suffices, because the only place to take this further (under Internet law) is to start mentioning Hitler....
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 am

GrahamB wrote:Well, Stuarts video is a criticism.... Charles post is a criticism of this criticism, for being a criticism... isn't the hypocrisy obvious?

No, I can't see it. Charles post was a criticism of this criticism, for being stupid and unnecessary criticism. If Charles criticism was ridiculous and stupid, it would be another thing. Hilarious maybe, but not hypocrisy.

Hey, let's take this to the next level - didn't the Catholic Church have the same attitude to not exposing sex offenders in priesthood? I hope that example suffices, because the only place to take this further (under Internet law) is to start mentioning Hitler....

Wow, that was stupid. :o :o :o
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:59 am

Have you noticed, you say "stupid" a lot?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:11 am

GrahamB wrote:Have you noticed, you say "stupid" a lot?

LOL! Your right. :o No I didn't notice that. How stupid of me! ;D

-lol- O:)

Edit: I overdo it with the smilies as well... I think... :P
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:15 am

Woo woo breakdown:

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.shaw/vi ... 05/?type=3

enjoyed that! Thanks for the link.

Criticism for the sake of it is, i would agree, a bit pointless. But if Stuarts Analysis helps some people start to take charge of themselves when asked to be a demo partner .... then its a good thing for Adam and his students ultimately.

Criticism aimed at actually helping people recognize when they are doing something silly with themselves is important. For people on the inside of such things its often impossible to see ... then when they do see, it needs to be really clearly outlined. I think that's the merit of videos like this.

If i was coaching that guy and he acted like that when i demoed i would tell him to get his act together and sort his structure out. That guy is a REALLY bad reflection on Adams Coaching ability.

My two Penneth! Normal service may resume! :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:19 am

HI Chris,

Yes, that's what I think too. There's also something of a 'cult mentality' that these teachers foster and develop - if nobody speaks out people could waste years of their lives with this stuff. I think that has value, namely for the people who might be in the 'cult'. I personally rescued one local guy from what I'd describe as a "Tai Chi cult" - he was in deep with the guy 'looking after' his money for him as well(!) He never got his money back though, sadly. None of what he'd been taught had any effect on me when we pushed hands - that was when he saw the light, I think.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 am

middleway wrote:Criticism for the sake of it is, i would agree, a bit pointless. But if Stuarts Analysis helps some people start to take charge of themselves when asked to be a demo partner .... then its a good thing for Adam and his students ultimately.

First we can agree or disagree if what Stuart does are good analyses or not, or that something is made because other reasons than analyze something...
..But enough with that...

"start to take charge of themselves when asked to be a demo partner" ?

People are in a group to learn and they trust the teachers to... you know ... teach them? Because... they want to learn?

Teacher: "Now, Sam, if you strike a straight punch at me..."
Student: "But I wouldn't do a straight punch. I would do a cross"
Teacher: "It's just to demo a technique"
Student": "But it wouldn't work on me, so why would I want to learn it?"
Teacher: "Just make a straight punch"
Student: "No"
Teacher: "Ok then, Tim, can you come over instead"...
Student 2: "But I wouldn't punch, I would kick."
... and so on ...

My point is, how would a student know how to "take charge of themselves when asked to be a demo partner" when they are there in class as beginners?

Criticism aimed at actually helping people recognize when they are doing something silly with themselves is important.

They won't. They won't understand that it's silly if they do something silly. Everyone wants to believe that his or her teacher is a great one and what they do is tradition and ... just awesome. That's the problem in all TMA. They treat what they do as a treasure regardless how stupid it is (wooops! I said "stupid" again....)

If i was coaching that guy and he acted like that when i demoed i would tell him to get his act together and sort his structure out. That guy is a REALLY bad reflection on Adams Coaching ability.

There's some good points here. When I see people fly away when touching their teacher, I always wonder if they are taught balance, how to deal with incoming force and ... you know... anything that is important to learn in their art. OTOH, when you practice, sometimes the opponent needs to act, overdo it, give up his balance and offer his mass to play with. But again, a demo is something else. If you want to really demonstrate skill, you need to play against skill, not against a puppet.

Well, thank you for your input. :)

/David
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:44 am

GrahamB wrote:- if nobody speaks out people could waste years of their lives with this stuff. I think that has value, namely for the people who might be in the 'cult'.

You know, it might sound tough. But I believe that everybody needs to take responsibility for their own Karma and Soul.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:01 am

It may sound crazy, but when people can be helped, I think they should be.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 am

If....

Most people can help themselves. They get stuck in cults and stay there for many different reasons and choose to not leave. No, I don't think that you can help anyone who don't want to help himself. If they want to help themselves, they can.
If a person or a cult gets dangerous for other people, then they needs to be stopped. But that's another thing.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am

I'm starting to suspect you are running a cult Bao....
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby novamma on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:23 pm

This guy not only insults our intelligence with his Tai chi videos, he insults Thai buddhism in their own country, as a self-proclaimed Arjan (Arjan is a high level monk, teacher of many teachers).

as one Thai buddhist had said:

"He is not a real monk so he should not be sitting on that magic stand and the powerful statues like those behind his back. Shake him off. I felt insulted watching that."

novamma

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links