Hokkien Kuntao Mantis

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Hokkien Kuntao Mantis

Postby bviru_xin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:38 am

Not sure whether this has been posted here before.

bviru_xin
Anjing

Re: Hokkien Kuntao Mantis

Postby chud on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:48 am

Nice, thanks for sharing that.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing! This is the first footage I've seen of Sifu Tan. Any idea how old he was in the video, and who his student is?

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Is this Zhu Jiajiao 朱家教 Praying Mantis?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:47 am

Nice - like how he always attacks into the side gate. His student more springy and sprightly than he does in the solo work, though.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 am

Good to see Sifu Gerry moving like that again after overcoming serious illness and surgery.

I have written about him and his art in my book Warrior Guards the Mountain, and he is featured on our documentary film of the same name (the episode on Steven Benitez, who was one of his old students).

His student Jose runs a hotel in London, he is the senior of the present generation.

Their art seems to be a combination of Tantui basics, northern mantis and southern boxing, all influenced by evolving in Indonesia.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:26 am

The southern mantis form demonstrated here seems more dynamic than the ones found in traditional Chinese systems. Perhaps due to Kuntao/Silat influences?
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:23 am

retreats108 wrote:I have written about him and his art in my book Warrior Guards the Mountain, and he is featured on our documentary film of the same name (the episode on Steven Benitez, who was one of his old students).

Yes - and it's a great book! Definitely one I recommend. I haven't checked out the movie (yet ;) ).

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby chud on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:56 am

retreats108 wrote:Their art seems to be a combination of Tantui basics, northern mantis and southern boxing, all influenced by evolving in Indonesia.

C.J.W. wrote:The southern mantis form demonstrated here seems more dynamic than the ones found in traditional Chinese systems. Perhaps due to Kuntao/Silat influences?

Yes, in my opinion Indonesian Kuntao seems to be like a pressure cooker that distills and breaks down traditional styles into a very effective and practical form.
chud
Great Old One

Return to Video Links