Some of Huang’s stuff.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Some of Huang’s stuff.

Postby willywrong on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Some of Huang’s stuff. Sorry about the film quality but its old footage.

Pushing with walking stick. 1989
https://youtu.be/cF6lK94rCkg

Tony Ward and Patrick Kelly Pushing 1989
http://youtu.be/O6wUPIop4VIvvvv

Huang sitting pushing Patrick Kelly not sure where or year
http://youtu.be/8Tv5Xy5lHfk

Huang showing ground work
http://youtu.be/NkXsXmyhgF4

Huang, Patrick and don’t know who the compliant Chinese fella is or where and what year.
http://youtu.be/pLiCAjpFxko
Last edited by willywrong on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Re: Some of Huang’s stuff.

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Wow...that ground work...
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Pretty sure it is all his 89 trip to Australia and NZ
A lot of it is in the acca australian Chinese community assn.
Dixon st Chinatown Sydney
The sitting push with Patrick Kelly is in NZ
The ground stuff is when he is quite old and not long before his death
It would of been great to see his ground boxing when he was younger
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:44 am

Willy - thanks for the post. I dont know huang short of his magic pushing videos so these give a nice counterpoint. He seems to have a good grasp of the angles matched with a good base so is this just a show of respect?

Also someone please explain the shoulder roll back. It's a tc push hands move and I assume just a training excercise but with fixed feet and lean back doesnt it just leave you exposed to a double leg take down?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby middleway on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:05 am

I'm sorry, but i just don't see what the point of the ground work was. Is there 'ground boxing' in his system and are their any examples of it around? thanks.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:18 am

As I understand it huang was the boxing champion of Fukien
His system was white crane
He travelled and took on lots of challenges and learned from quite a few sources
Yap sui ting who's father was the head of the fukin Provence boxing association introduced him to Chen man Ching
He then took cheng as his teacher
So he may well have had ground boxing as part of his system
He taught a lot of stuff to his senior students that they didn't show
Also a lot of his students had a lot of previous knowledge
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:18 pm

thought it might be interesting to see and compare another taiji teachers "ground work"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2QXCfz62ro
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Young Grasshopper on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:22 pm

I liked Huang's ground work in his old age this maybe because I have footage of my previous instructor doing the same sort of thing in the late 1980's at a younger age and can see what he is trying to do. Though my previous instructor had a lot of rotation in the hips.
Last edited by Young Grasshopper on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Young Grasshopper
Santi

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:55 pm

The vids on this thread...

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:26 pm

dspyrido wrote:Willy - thanks for the post. I dont know huang short of his magic pushing videos so these give a nice counterpoint.
He seems to have a good grasp of the angles matched with a good base so is this just a show of respect?

If you look at the Patrick/Huang clip your see he's not as compliant as some. I just don't think he should be judge(Huang) by some of the stuff that follows him in linage. My linage is not his linage. That having been said I think there are things that can be learnt from watching him with a analytical mind without the banal criticism that some seem addicted to. :)
Last edited by willywrong on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:55 pm

The groundwork that Huang shows seems to be the same set Tim Cartmell teaches. It's a set usually taught within Xingyi. It's not ground fighting per se, but about how to handle a standing up guy if you allready went down to the floor.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:40 pm

willywrong wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Willy - thanks for the post. I dont know huang short of his magic pushing videos so these give a nice counterpoint. He seems to have a good grasp of the angles matched with a good base so is this just a show of respect?

If you look at the Patrick/Huang clip your see he's not as compliant as some. I just don't think he should be judge(Huang) by some of the stuff that follows him in linage. My linage is not his linage. That having been said I think there are things that can be learnt from watching him with a analytical mind without the banal criticism that some seem addicted to. :)

I thought all the clips you posted were useful which raised the question - why the magic clips of huang?

I also remember his old school wrestling clip which looked like an episode from early wwf.

Something in the back of my mind says huang was a big strong guy who had good technique that most people did not get so he gave them something they could jump on to. I'm guessing there are some other good examples of him in action that I'm hoping to find.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Bao wrote:The groundwork that Huang shows seems to be the same set Tim Cartmell teaches. It's a set usually taught within Xingyi. It's not ground fighting per se, but about how to handle a standing up guy if you allready went down to the floor.

The techniques are exactly what is covered in the fukien ground boxing.

The system is generally shown as sweeps from standing or ground but the "secret teachings" of an instructor I knew was all about chinna and especially leg locks. The sweep was only the spectacular bit. The magic was in the ankle, calf crush or knee break/rotations etc that followed. He would not demonstrate this side unless you were a student and behind closed doors.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:06 pm

I - why the magic clips of huang?

maybe because they'er not "magic" just a part of his practice.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:14 pm

dspyrido wrote:
willywrong wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Willy - thanks for the post. I dont know huang short of his magic pushing videos so these give a nice counterpoint. He seems to have a good grasp of the angles matched with a good base so is this just a show of respect?

I thought all the clips you posted were useful which raised the question - why the magic clips of huang?

I also remember his old school wrestling clip which looked like an episode from early wwf.

Something in the back of my mind says huang was a big strong guy who had good technique that most people did not get so he gave them something they could jump on to. I'm guessing there are some other good examples of him in action that I'm hoping to find.

I do have a few clips of Patrick and Tony doing p/h but alas no more of any value of Huang. I'm glad someone actually watched the others Thanks. :)
willywrong

Next

Return to Video Links