is this an example of IT/IS

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: is this an example of IT/IS

Postby dspyrido on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:18 pm

The pushing down move is not a parlour trick. It is a training method to learn grounding. The level shown by cudly nodan is really basic and can be taught easily. With good "internal" training there is training in stillness and connecting the body so that you can redirect people pushing straight on or even trying to uproot. Knowing how to do it right, fluidly & without large muscle group tension (which noddy is not doing when he kias) is why good martial artists can play with not so experieneced people and make them flap around like rag dolls.

Bobbyd find someone who can do this. Visit every martial artist you can find in the hope of learning. Experiment & test. Keep reading, researching, asking questions and most of all practise practise practise.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 pm

bobbyd wrote:I think its very unfair to say the guy has zero talent because I'm guessing he has more skills to show in other areas which he did not show and what he does show is certainly a talent I am interested in learning about. Zero skill and talent for internals maybe but not zero talent in every area.

It's not unfair. If he had a little bit of skill it would shine through. If you want to learn similar things, check people who has a little skill. This guy has many good vids full of practical advices:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm9REWZX9F8

This one as well.

http://youtu.be/Yh2Tm-BJ8t4

I am sure you can see the difference... ;)
Last edited by Bao on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby WVMark on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:37 pm

Tom wrote:
WVMark wrote: . . . not what I'd call "internal".

Mark, you can't even handle Windows 10. What would you know about "internal"? (disappears into the cybervoid)

;D

Ha! LOL! Too true. ;D
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Bhassler on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:30 pm

dspyrido wrote:Bobbyd find someone who can do this. Visit every martial artist you can find in the hope of learning. Experiment & test. Keep reading, researching, asking questions and most of all practise practise practise.

Good advice, and I'd go even further and suggest you not limit yourself to so-called internal arts and/or skills. What are your goals? Self defense? Sport? Health? Revenge? Get as clear as you can on what you want out of practice, then go find someone who's got something you want and has students who also have it. If your goal is fighting of some sort, I'd recommend you spend some time learning how to fight, and see what your tendencies and preferences are, then go find an art and teacher that complement your natural tendencies. I've met karate guys with way better internal skills than 99.999% of the taiji guys out there...
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links