Karate nuns: Request for comments

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Karate nuns: Request for comments

Postby klonk on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJqU3yzco0

This isn't a new video. Someone brought it to my attention, and it brought to mind a question I could not answer. So I will ask the rest of you.

If you had to design a course for at-risk women, who are not necessarily martial enthusiasts, what would you teach them?

The curriculum here looks like karate with some aikido thrown in, traditionally trained, but I would, I think, tend to favor a course in a small set of high percentage techniques, with lots of practice, sort of the W.E. Fairbairn approach.

Whaddya think?
Last edited by klonk on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Karate nuns: Request for comments

Postby dspyrido on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:02 pm

For a moment I thought it was a python clip I had never come across...

1. Awareness & escape: How not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, How to to negotiate a tough situation, How to escape, Mind of attackers, How to attract attention.
2. Weapons and makeshift weapons inc concealing them.
3. Basic standing self defense focused only on illegal moves plus distraction setups. No kicks above waist.
4. How to get up and basic escapes from the ground. Plus a small number of easier dirty fighting & submissions on the ground but with the emphasis on escape.

Many good books & vids on this stuff. This topic is less about the arts than people think.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:06 pm

dspyrido wrote:1. Awareness & escape: How not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, How to to negotiate a tough situation, How to escape, Mind of attackers, How to attract attention.
3. Basic standing self defense focused only on illegal moves plus distraction setups. No kicks above waist.
4. How to get up and basic escapes from the ground. Plus a small number of easier dirty fighting & submissions on the ground but with the emphasis on escape.

I like this list, however I would add some things the each point though, additions in italics.
1. Awareness & escape: How not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, How to to negotiate a tough situation, How to escape, Mind of attackers, How to attract attention. body language, how to read it and how to use it
2. Weapons and makeshift weapons inc concealing them. how to draw them
3. Basic standing self defense focused only on illegal moves plus distraction setups. No kicks above waist. the fence
4. How to get up and basic escapes from the ground. Plus a small number of easier dirty fighting & submissions on the ground but with the emphasis on escape. how to fall
Spncr
Huajing

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 am

Surely this misses the most fundamental point to overcome when teaching women, which is that most women have been conditioned not to hit under any circumstances, and certainly not when in danger (cringe / hide / run away). Would have thought that this mental block would have to be overcome before any of the stuff above could start to be trained.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 am

These nuns have the same skill set as the St. Joe nuns that taught (beat) me in the Philadelphia Catholic grammar schools in the 1950's. They were brutal, much more so than the Catholic priests in high school.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:46 am

Spncr wrote:
dspyrido wrote:1. Awareness & escape: How not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, How to to negotiate a tough situation, How to escape, Mind of attackers, How to attract attention.

I like this list, however I would add some things the each point though, additions in italics.
1. Awareness & escape: How not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, How to to negotiate a tough situation, How to escape, Mind of attackers, How to attract attention. body language, how to read it and how to use it
2. Weapons and makeshift weapons inc concealing them. how to draw them
3. Basic standing self defense focused only on illegal moves plus distraction setups. No kicks above waist. the fence
4. How to get up and basic escapes from the ground. Plus a small number of easier dirty fighting & submissions on the ground but with the emphasis on escape. how to fall

The definition of self defense might be in order as well. It's a legal term and fairly specific.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:These nuns have the same skill set as the St. Joe nuns that taught (beat) me in the Philadelphia Catholic grammar schools in the 1950's. They were brutal, much more so than the Catholic priests in high school.

I find myself wondering whether the knuckle rap with the ruler would produce unconsciousness if applied to the neck so as to trigger the carotid baroreceptor. ;D
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:44 pm

I agree with not putting yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time--and un-assing the area if you find that is what you have done. Agree also on points raised about lawful defense, playing on the aggressor's perceptions...

Beyond that there is the question of going all out if you must fight. It can be a job, deconditioning women so that they can do that. On the other hand some take to it readily. I recall one sweet young thing who could not stop giggling once she figured out everything a blade in the low line could be used for. God spare us her like.

Assuming we have women dedicated to protecting their lives, honor or young, and most nuns seem really dedicated to their young charges, I suppose they can be as skillful as anyone else, and perhaps even more ferocious.

Maybe the question is how to release the inner warrior princess without creating a monster.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:09 pm

klonk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJqU3yzco0
If you had to design a course for at-risk women, who are not necessarily martial enthusiasts, what would you teach them?

What do you mean exactly by "at-risk women?"

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby klonk on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Greg J wrote:
klonk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJqU3yzco0

What do you mean exactly by "at-risk women?"

Best,
Greg

What the video says, urban high crime setting in a job that brings lots of exposure to the riffraff. That will do for a working basis for the question. If you extrapolate what-if scenarios there is no end to the higher threat levels you can imagine, to the point that Sheena and Wonder Woman would be outmatched.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:44 pm

klonk wrote:
Greg J wrote:What do you mean exactly by "at-risk women?"

Best,
Greg

What the video says, urban high crime setting in a job that brings lots of exposure to the riffraff. That will do for a working basis for the question. If you extrapolate what-if scenarios there is no end to the higher threat levels you can imagine, to the point that Sheena and Wonder Woman would be outmatched.

This is helpful.

I think that DeBecker's book, "The Gift of Fear," and Rory Miller's book "Facing Violence" are two books that would help with dspyrido's #1: Awareness & escape.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Return to Video Links