Sweet Zuan Chuan breakdown from Marcus Brinkman!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Sweet Zuan Chuan breakdown from Marcus Brinkman!

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:17 pm

shawnsegler wrote:He actually put up a new vid that seems to extend some of the ideas of the last one.

Yup, even more evident here, the elbow is not zuan. That might has been his intention from the beginning, but here it's clearly not.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Right you are, it's a demo. -bow-
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Yup, even more evident here, the elbow is not zuan. That might has been his intention from the beginning, but here it's clearly not.

Well in this one he says explicitly that he focusing on the pi aspect of it in the second video but in the first one he makes it pretty clear that he's talking about the "energy" of Zuan as it's expressed from the bottom of the spine. If you watch what he's doing the line of energy remains consistent to his definition of zuan both in the shape and the way it's expressed from the base of the spine. What's different from the technical way zuan is taught as a form is that he changes the point of issuing from the hand to the elbow like you would in the windup with a flexible weapon.
My 2c.

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Bao wrote:
shawnsegler wrote:He actually put up a new vid that seems to extend some of the ideas of the last one.

And right you are, I can't find any Zuan energy in the elbow either. :)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:57 pm

shawnsegler wrote: If you watch what he's doing the line of energy remains consistent to his definition of zuan both in the shape and the way it's expressed from the base of the spine. What's different from the technical way zuan is taught as a form is that he changes the point of issuing from the hand to the elbow like you would in the windup with a flexible weapon.

He doesn't keep the center forward, and does not tilt up the hips as he first showed for zuan. Instead he twists the waist. Different from both my definition on zuan mechanics and his own in the first clip. There's no pi either.

.... Nothing wrong with that though. I like the coiling body method, but it seems much influenced by bagua. IMO, it's better to not restrict the shenfa too much. But it's also good to not make the definitions too restricted. It can lead to confusion if the methods shown are too broad for the explanations. I like demonstrations to match the explanations and vice versa.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Sorry, no matter how the motion is exaggerated, there is no issuing from the bottom of the spine nor the top, there is only opening and closing.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Well, I don't have any huge drive to convince you of anything. I think I see where he's going with it, if it doesn't work for you then that sounds like a personal thing.

Namaste.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:37 am

Nice demo, i could never do techniques explanation that well and show a variety of offshoot techniques to add like throws, elbows, takedowns, etc.

I think he said that elbow technique was called 'lying tiger'. 1000x better than fajin crap youtubes.
neijia_boxer

Postby Tiga Pukul on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:38 am

Another question on the elbow... why is he lifting up his back leg after issuing an elbow? For us that's a definite no-no, or is it just a way of being casual about the movement?
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby I-mon on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:09 am

Marcus often tends to have a bit of a jazzy vibe when he's discussing concepts. You'll notice that the expressiveness of his movements generally correlates with the way he's speaking in any given moment, spiralling his body about while he thinks of which words to use, that sort of thing. Definitely all very casual, I'd say.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:32 am

Andy_S wrote:Is the rising elbow strike considered zuanchuan? I can see it takes a similar, uppercut-like path, but seems to lack the "drilling" element of the fist...?

Since the rising elbow strike and it's variations are very common moves found in Xinyi Liuhe and Dai Xinyi, the two mother arts from which Xingyi evolved, it would make sense to consider the technique legitimate. (I've also seen Zuan expressed as a vertical elbow strike in a couple of lesser-known, family lineages of Hebei Xingyi that claim to be 'purer' than others.)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:50 am

The applications are fine, and I'm sure Marcus Brinkman is very good at what he does, but his descriptions of what is powering the Zuan (the movement of the hips) seems very weird to me. In Song style Zuan there's a strong emphasis on the power going in two opposite directions in Zuan, one upwards in the arm/upper body, and another downwards in hip / lower body. <Shrug>
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:55 am

It's almost as if.... there isn't just one way of doing it... strange..... hmm....

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 am

PENCILS ARE FOR WRITING, NOT BENDING!!!!

Feckin' monster....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 am

Although, drilling izzz, drilling -shrug-
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links