Master He talking about...Hsing-i?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Master He talking about...Hsing-i?

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:39 pm

I wish I could understand what he's saying. It's obviously about the Wu Xing from Hsing-i..but well, if someone would care to translate that'd be great.

Always love to see his stuff.

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Master He talking about...Hsing-i?

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:04 pm

He just shows the movements, There's nothing else than what you see: "Beng - first relaxed (song), then firm", "Pao is a little bigger", etc.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Love it, if you watch from the front although subtle, you see the open and close, if you look at the mirror and watch from the back you see the whole body connected, if only he had shown one step it would have been exemplary of whole body movement at a top level. Nice stuff, thanks for posting.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:04 pm

He is describing the finer details of wrist movement in Xingyi's five elements. Its actually a very good talk - he mentions how the juxtaposition of the wrists at the point of transitioning to splitting develops ripping and tearing force, among other things.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby aiasthewall on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 pm

from the same shoot looks like.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby Strange on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:04 am

Master He is giving a very fine and detailed explanation of XY's 5 element fist's wrist movement
explaining that wrist movement fan (twisting up or down) as they cross each other
also as they cross they become relax and/or tense alternatively
and may be changing between yin and yang state (to give balance)

I would like to add that in normal CMA practice, all movements are trained from large to small
hard to soft and outward-flourish to inward-hiding/obscuring.

also many focus on the striking hand and ignore the rearward hand
i believe this is not correct.
the rear hard is the one that show your skill because it is the one
that block, deflect, catch the opponents strike.

if just think of striking hand, there is no yin-yang
you maybe have half force/power or less
also become like each doing their own thing, slapity-slap king of engagement
the question have no logical correct reply
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:15 am

Strange wrote:....also many focus on the striking hand and ignore the rearward hand
i believe this is not correct.
the rear hard is the one that show your skill because it is the one
that block, deflect, catch the opponents strike.

if just think of striking hand, there is no yin-yang
you maybe have half force/power or less....

XY is called bare handed spear play.
In chinese spear and staff play, the top third of the weapon is called the dragon's head, the bottom third is the dragon's tail. The rear hand moves, the front hand is kept still. All of the power comes from the rear hand. In XY, this is less evident as both hands moves, but the power in XY really comes from the rear hand, or the movements of the rear part of the body. If the front hand moves more than the rear hand, you can never understand why XY mechanics come from spear play or what is meant by power in XY.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:07 pm

In the GBT Bagua that Master He teaches the use of the spear to help train the body for empty hand methods is present as well.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 pm

shawnsegler wrote:In the GBT Bagua that Master He teaches the use of the spear to help train the body for empty hand methods is present as well.
S

Mmm... Hand to hand coordination, twisting movement, long vs short movement power issuing, stabilizing structure... Many points on empty hand shenfa can be made by teaching staff and spear movement. Many things about functional weaponry and good empty hand shenfa in CIMA are virtually the same. 8-)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:59 pm

thanks
It's "TEH Internal" stamp right here ! :D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 pm

Bao wrote: .....you can never understand why XY mechanics come from spear play or what is meant by power in XY.

Tell me about it Bao, i'se talking to some ppl who think that that they understand CMA
and start calling me and what is say fortune cookie
good thing i'se still got my yin and yang in the right place and in order
otherwise, i might have been misled by them :o ;D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:35 am

Regarding the spear training, truer words were never spoken - Bao, Strange - however, the length, weight, and flexibility of the spear (da qiang) are also critical along with breathing and waist rotation. In my experience the length of spear generally should be 10 feet or greater and too heavy of a qiang is as bad as too light of qiang.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:31 am

Appreciate you sharing your experience, 10 ft would be quite a long spear
my place is modest, so i only have a 2 m one
cheers :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:14 am

Best Taiji training devices I know are the 12-foot, heavy(ish) balsa wood staffs, and the whippier, shorter, bamboo spears.

They teach:
Use of the body rather than the hands;
Spirals in the hand work
Excellent feedback for fajing training.

And as noted about HsingI: Many of the hand techniques in Chen Taiji (particularly the PaoChoi cannon first form) are directly taken from the staff techniques.

BTW, does Master He teach HsingI these days? I thought he was a Bagua and Yang Taiji guy? Or is HsingI an intrinsic chunk of the GBT system..?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:59 am

Andy_S wrote:BTW, does Master He teach HsingI these days? I thought he was a Bagua and Yang Taiji guy? Or is HsingI an intrinsic chunk of the GBT system..?

He will teach xingyi if he is asked to do that.

His Xingyi comes from another teacher, Chen Tianyi. I have no idea about who this guy is. Can't find any more info.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/ ... rticle=544
"I first started learning the Yang Style Tai Chi 108 form. After I studied it for about six or seven years, I hit a plateau. I stopped improving. People were really into push hands then. Later, I started learning xingyi from Grandmaster Chen Tian-Yi and bagua from Grandmaster Gong Bao-Zhai. During my twenty-year tutelage in bagua, I stopped practicing tai chi. After I felt I had a good grasp of bagua, I came back to tai chi and my tai chi was greatly improved.
"Now I understand why. In Chinese martial arts, tai chi is the highest form of expression. It's not your shape or outside appearance (xing); it's your mind's expression (yi). If you learn tai chi without your xing being at a high enough level, your body can't follow your yi. You won't be able to do tai chi well.
"Bagua is the best Chinese martial arts to train your xing. Most people say that when you practice tai chi, you should be slow and loose. But if you focus on the speed, you may tense up your body too much to be totally loose. Or you may become too loose and collapse, so you can't explore your internal jing. It's all from the lack of the beginning basic training to master your xing.
"In old days, tai chi masters would teach their students the basic movements of long fist. This is to prepare the body to have, as they say, 'loose tendons and hard bones (song jin da gu).' Only after you have a good foundation can you start tai chi practice. It's like learning Chinese calligraphy. If you learn cursive characters (tsao shu), then you must first learn cuneiform characters (kai shu). You must learn how to do a basic drawing or sketch before you can do abstract painting.
"In appearance, tai chi and bagua look completely different, but the core concepts are actually very similar. In bagua, you learn to twist and compress your body to its smallest form. Tai chi is wide, open and soft. Their appearances are opposite, like yin and yang, but many of their principles are parallel."
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links