Small things

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Small things

Postby RobP2 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 am

I've often been a proponent of "small things" in training. People sometimes look for the next "big thing" or tag on to the latest fitness/training trend for 10 minutes. But it's through the small "everyday" drills that we achieve transformation

"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Re: Small things

Postby GrahamB on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:20 am

Love it Rob.

p.s. how dare you raise your elbow - don't you know that's against the rules of Taiji? ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:26 am

Nice one Rob, great drill. I don't know if you realize how much you're using your stance though - it's obviously natural and fluid and not forced at all, but I'd say it's clearly there.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am

You can learn some really important things being on either side of this drill. On one hand theres all the stuff Rob mentions in relation to learning about punching (positioning, angles, etc.) and on the other, the person standing can learn to drop their weight, or how to guide the opponents hand/arm to positions vulnerable to attack (by yielding to gain advantageous positioning or by leveraging their chosen placement and pressure), etc.... small things, BIG progress!
Spncr
Huajing

Postby hodmeist on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:02 am

Enjoyed the clip. Very informative and I agree that the so called simple drills are the one's that contain the gold. I second Spncr above in that it is a good exercise for puncher and receiver. Have to say Rob, I like your presentation and teaching style. No nonsense but logical and easy going, factual and easy to understand. Well done.
hodmeist
Anjing

Postby RobP2 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:16 am

Thanks for the comments guys, all aprreciated

Re the stance, point taken, though if we think of stance as structure then it is always in use I guess. My main emphasis at this stage is to stop people bracing through the legs - in other words you need a certain type of specific condition in order to be effective.

I'll be following this up with a progression on this drill, leading to some freestyle work
cheers
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:20 am

Based on what I've seen from his videos, I've always suspected that Rob's students are very fortunate to have him as an instructor.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby hodmeist on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:56 am

I agree Michael.
Last edited by hodmeist on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
hodmeist
Anjing

Postby RobP2 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:08 am

Thanks guys!

Here's Part Two

RobP2
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:14 am

Based on what I've seen from his videos, I've always suspected that Rob's students are very fortunate to have him as an instructor.

Having met the chap on several occasions they certainly are. :D

Nice stuff as always Rob. :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:36 am

Good video, Rob! :)

Regarding 'small things', I have long believed that true expertise in any martial art is the product of an equation of subtraction, rather than one of addition. Just saying! ;)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 am

Tom, not to detract from your praise of RobP2, I have not met him but from what I've seen posted here over the years he certainly appears to be a great teacher (and person.) While what you say is true in a general sense, there are certainly more people teaching Systema with a clear progression than just Rob (including famous-name folks). For instance, I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing haphazard about the way Konstantin Komarov teaches Systema.

This is an excerpt from the description on Vlad's website just for good measure:

In this book, Major Komarov skillfully presents each key Systema concept through:
- Clear explanations
- Step-by-step practice programs
Last edited by Spncr on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby RobP2 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:11 pm

That's very kind of you Tom, but Spncr is right, all I really do is teach things pretty much as I've been taught. The "haphazard" thing has never been my my experience with any of the big name guys, in fact I've find them very methodical once you get a grip on what is going on. Granted, it's different in tone from the more "traditional" or Chinese approach, which is perhaps where the confusion arises
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Tom wrote:That is very in-character of you to be so humble, Rob, but no, I'm not confused. I've had some exposure to both Komarov and Vasiliev, and in my opinion--it's just that, an opinion--you present your material better than either of them. You've digested what they taught and have had to work hard for your own understanding and ability.

Spncr, I've read Komarov's book through three times, developed practice programs from it and also given it to people I thought would benefit from it. His book, while seemingly comprehensive and certainly well-organized, does not give as much of the kind of concise, helpful and precise detail on "the small things" that Rob's material does.

That is emphatically not the same as declaring Vasiliev or Komarov to be poor teachers...

No worries Tom, I didn't think you were declaring Vlad or Konstantine to be poor teachers, I just wanted to provide my opinion that they can be very detail oriented in their own ways. I think because of both Vlad and Konstantin's depth of knowledge, they often reserve a lot for fear (pun intended) of talking to much and not practicing enough (the talking of which would go over most peoples heads anyways and furthermore the subject would require experience to gain understanding rather that mere listening to a lecture.) I have certainly found Vlad to be more "heres the ruff idea, now go work it out yourself"(one might call that haphazard) and Konstantin to be more intellectual in his approach(which to me is more detail oriented). As always though, to each their own, and based on what I've seen of Rob's videos I can't disagree that he provides "concise, helpful and precise detail on "the small things"
Spncr
Huajing

Postby cloudz on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:45 am

Hi Rob,

I don't really agree with your explanation on the reason behind the punching that you give in the early part of the clip. I agree that you are educating your "fists", well yourself actually, regards structural strengths and weaknesses. What I disagree about is the use-fullness of that for punching.

Regards body punching, and punching in general I would prefer to cause hurt and damage. You explain that you want to educate yourself to the weak areas to push away ("move" the opponent) using a punch. As for targeting body punching for me, perhaps the liver, ribs and solar plexus are decent targets to cause pain and damage, but otherwise they are not greatly effective - IMO of course.

Pushing/moving is one thing and might be useful depending on the situation and goals - no argument from me on that one, but to transfer that to the act of punching the opponent in the body seems misplaced to me and moving away from what is clear, practical and useful, rather than towards. We have heard many a criticism of TCC for it's use of pushing in training, which I think has been often misunderstood. This is similar in a way, but simply making your hand into the shape of a fist doesn't really hide that you are pushing rather than hitting. By all means if I am misunderstanding your explanation as to the reason for punching, please let me know.

There are good reasons why a drill like this can be useful. I just couldn't by into your explanation for the puncher. IMO Knowing the structurally weak and vulnerable areas is useful for grappling (takedowns), off balancing and projections - not really for "the punch" per se.

Respect and best wishes, as always mate.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 am, edited 10 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links