Master He tieing up the opponent with spiralling body

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Master He tieing up the opponent with spiralling body

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 am

D_Glenn wrote:NO wonder you jacked up your spine, that's just plain stupid to try and hold it in the same shape while going through the whole form.

Every single one of the respected old-school masters had exactly the same piece of advice for aspiring students: whatever you do, let it always be natural. Last one I heard was from Feng Zhiqiang.

OTOH, that's what they say once they have really got the art (usually when they're old). The young 'uns will usually tell you to do it their way, or no way... ::) 8-) ;D
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 am

D_Glenn wrote:Doing the form the spine should be constantly transitioning and changing shapes depending upon the movement.
, that's just plain stupid to try and hold it in the same shape while going through the whole form.

Yup. But that's how most people do Tai chi. And bagua and Xingyi as well. Chen style seems to be the only tai chi where the standard of posture is associated with a constant change (dantian circles). Most other schools interprete "posture" as static body positions where there happens as little as possible between the changes from one to another posture. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 am

lazyboxer wrote:
D_Glenn wrote:NO wonder you jacked up your spine, that's just plain stupid to try and hold it in the same shape while going through the whole form.

Every single one of the respected old-school masters had exactly the same piece of advice for aspiring students: whatever you do, let it always be natural. Last one I heard was from Feng Zhiqiang.

OTOH, that's what they say once they have really got the art (usually when they're old). The young 'uns will usually tell you to do it their way, or no way... ::) 8-) ;D

Haha.

I just had a memory from EF when everyone was sharing their clips and there were some critiques like "Looks good but how come you aren't keeping your back upright?"

;D

You have to be stupid, to try and change a stupid person.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Last edited by emptycloud on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:45 pm

lazyboxer wrote:Every single one of the respected old-school masters had exactly the same piece of advice for aspiring students: whatever you do, let it always be natural. Last one I heard was from Feng Zhiqiang.

I tend to think that most of those old-school masters who told people to just "be natural" are dishonest SOBs that didn't want to give away their training secrets.

"Oh my dear master, how should I breathe when I'm doing ZZ?" "Just be natural."

"How do I develop fajin?" "Just be natural."

"How am I supposed to learn anything if you just keep telling me to be natural?" "Just be natural."

My view on IMA and what sets it apart from EMA is that it re-programs the body to move and react "unnaturally" compared to an average Joe in order to produce higher efficiency.
If IMA was about being natural and using your body in ways that everybody else does, then it would become no different from any typical sport where the bigger, faster, or stronger guy always wins.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Old saying

From the unnatural to the natural

I was saying to my students last night
Just be natural

However I was giving them very specific ways to achieve it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:54 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Old saying

From the unnatural to the natural

I concur.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:02 pm

C.J.W. wrote:
lazyboxer wrote:Every single one of the respected old-school masters had exactly the same piece of advice for aspiring students: whatever you do, let it always be natural. Last one I heard was from Feng Zhiqiang.

I tend to think that most of those old-school masters who told people to just "be natural" are dishonest SOBs that didn't want to give away their training secrets.

"Oh my dear master, how should I breathe when I'm doing ZZ?" "Just be natural."

"How do I develop fajin?" "Just be natural."

"How am I supposed to learn anything if you just keep telling me to be natural?" "Just be natural."

Learning the art of true stupidity can take a lifetime
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links