Question and Answer

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Question and Answer

Postby Strange on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:41 am

i used this metaphor recently
thought i would share
cheers :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: Question and Answer

Postby Spncr on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Question and answer, not arguing. I like his way of looking at MA training. Loved his answer to the question at 5:10. I like that he's not worried if his training is realistic enough, he's confident that theres value in what he's doing and thats great. Sometimes I find people can be a little silly questioning how this or that isn't realistic enough, after all MA training is just an approximation of realness. Having worked the door at a club for 4 years, I am confident that MA training is better than nothing (at least mine was.) Of course I don't want to open another can of worms to pour all over the dead horse of MA/Knife Realism vs. BS ETC... but I just have to say I much prefer Doug Marcaida's attitude in response to that question than that Knife Lies article by Marc MacYoung that got posted a little while ago.

Marc MacYoung wrote:I have a demonstration that I do during knife seminars. I find the highest ranking Filipino martial arts player present and I tell him to check and pass my attack. I then proceed to do a well balanced, fast, cautious attack. This is a legitimate and fast attack, and they tend to block it. I then tell them to block the another attack - and aiming for the same target - I do a prison yard rush on them. To this day I have gutted everyone of them.

The reason? They are entirely different knife attacks.

I found that kind of funny when I read it. I'm sure the only reason isn't solely because these are "entirely different knife attacks." I think there are a number of reasons that he's "gutted everyone of them" other than him cherry picking "the highest ranking Filipino martial arts player present" that he knows is conditioned to respond in a certain way in that type of training environment. Its also likely that no one he's tried this on thus far has wanted to prove the efficacy of their SD techniques badly enough to just punch him in the face. Its just a demo and they are there to learn from him, not fight him.

Anyways, maybe its just me but at the end of the day, I'd much rather listen to someone speak frankly about their own system that to listen to somebody shit all over everyone else's.

Thanks for sharing
Last edited by Spncr on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Strange on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:26 pm

thanks for sharing
i just want to clarify that, like i said before, i do not really know much about knife skills.
i point was that in the martial arts context, the question and answer metaphor means that
when a question is posed you make your answer.
there must be a question first, then comes the answer.
you must be patient enough to wait for the question to come.
and, no, you cannot answer before the question comes. :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:21 pm

I liked the skills demonstrated in the video shown here though I don't know much about knife skills on a technical level from any of the modern systems that claim to teach self-defense against a knife; though I have seen and experienced a few experts like Dan Inosanto who were, and are, inspiring in their breadth of knowledge on weapon arts.

On the other hand, I have been doing unchoreographed work with blades of a variety of lengths with experienced partners for several years and using control, "safe" weapons and some armor while doing so has taught me that the real question is how much of me will I have to sacrifice to make a kill as getting out safely after getting in effectively is the real challenge in an unscripted knife fight.

My last piece of advice is it's better to learn from someone who has survived an actual attack with a knife than someone who has just trained in a controlled environment.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:14 pm

I have found Filipino MA to be highjly functional. That being said, you have to train, practice, do physical conditioning, etc
Just to make it obvious, partner drills have to be part of process. In followign an art, you have to own it through practice. No one I know developes his art en toto by repeating form 100 times without anything else. That is just me and I realize I may have missed the boat. On the other hand, I laud all those jolly fellows who claim they have gain skill by just doing form. I am happy for them while I remain in cluedom as to their skill. But, it's all good!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:29 pm

i think it is very important to listen to the question carefully :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

Strange
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:45 am

Throw a rock in the phillipines and you will hit someone who has survived a knife attack
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby fuga on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Not to mention a rock attack!
fuga
Great Old One

Return to Video Links