Chinese Archery

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chinese Archery

Postby chenyaolong on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Thought this was quite a cool video, although some say he is controversial in the world of Chinese archery.
I for one have never even heard of Chinese archery still being practiced, but it seems an interesting topic.

chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: Chinese Archery

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 am

I have two issues of the now defunct Journal of Chinese Martial Studies and there are archery articles in each one.

Winter 2011 Issue 4
The Heritage and Development of China's Archery Culture: Report on 2010 China Archery Conference, Hangzhou

Winter 2012 Issue 6
Interview with Ku Ku, the Last Manchu Archer
A Practical Guide to Manchu Military Archery
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Pandrews1982 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:49 am

If you're interested in Chinese archery then ATARN (http://www.atarn.org/frameindex.htm) is a good place to begin to search, it was run by Stephen Selby who wrote a great book on Chinese archery (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Archery ... 9622095011) and is now run by Peter Dekker of the Netherlands. I've met Peter and bought an antique Chinese spearhead from him, very nice guy, he has travelled to China, Korea and elsewhere to research Chinese archery and often takes part in events around the world.

I think Peter wrote at least on of those articles in Journal of Chinese MArtial Studies, I think Steven Selby wrote one on Chinese bows.

The other person I know who is very interested and practices Chinese (manchu style) archery is Scott Rodell in the USA. His website (sevenstarstrading.com) sells chinese archery equipment from China.

Both Scott and Peter are active on facebook groups related to Chinese weapons and Asian archery.

I'm sure if you search around you'll find more people and resources too.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 am

Pandrews1982 wrote:I think Peter wrote at least one of those articles in Journal of Chinese Martial Studies...

He wrote both of the Manchu articles.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 am

Awesome video! I really enjoyed watching the process of the bow being made, and learning more about traditional Chinese Archery.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby Antony Wood on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 am

Yo, for Chinese archery check out Justin Ma on youtube, he practices Gao Ying's Ming military archery. He also represents Cinnabar bow, a Chinese bow maker who makes very well respected traditional bows. Apparently there is a archery master (of the Gao Ying Ming style) who lives in Suzhou.

http://www.cinnabarbow.com/marinerbows/mingmoon4.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWetqyG-9Bs

Cheers,
Antony
Antony Wood
Anjing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:04 am

What is the average draw of a adult bow?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:23 am

Justin Ma is a good friend of mine, we have shot together in the past, and his book is recommended as well.

I have been shooting Chinese bows for a while too. It seems to be growing in popularity in Beijing where I am, but I don't often find serious practitioners here.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:25 am

The bowyer who makes the bows Justin sells is named Shui Shou. I have a couple of bows he has made as well.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:07 am

Thanks guys... it's something I never thought about much, until I started reading about the Qing Imperial Military Examinations and the requirements. Archery, both standing and on horseback was a large part of it, as was weight lifting, heavy weapon handling and recital of classics.

@wushutiger..... Beijing seems like it would be a really interesting place to live for the martial arts, but I don't think I could handle the air... Shanghai is bad enough
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:14 am

Please for a new archer, can someone explain the weight of the draw and its significance to arrow, shooter and target ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:10 pm

There's a student of He Jinghan's who's had videos up and this is like 3 time I've looked for them and not been able to find them although someone else always finds them and I lose them again.

The search this time came up with this though.

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Yugen on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:What is the average draw of a adult bow?

This depends on your size and application. For beginner target practice a bow with 20 - 35 lb draw is plenty because working on proper form is important. If the bow draw weight is too heavy when you're just beginning, then like everything else you'll build bad habits and never learn proper shooting form.

A typical hunting draw weight that can take down a deer (or person) is 45lb minimum, but usually 55 - 60lb
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby Yugen on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:15 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:Please for a new archer, can someone explain the weight of the draw and its significance to arrow, shooter and target ?

Arrows, depending on what they're made up should be matched to the bow draw weight and your draw length. Arrows now can be bought made of carbon fiber and are lighter and can hold up. But in the old days of wood arrows, if they aren't matched properly and arrow can snap when released from a powerful bow. The arrow actually flexes before propelling away from the bow.

If you can have a powerful bow with a lighter arrow, then there's less arch of trajectory to the target, hence why carbon fiber arrows are good to use - they can take more stress than wood.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby Yugen on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 am

the images show modern western archery equipment, but the best book I've seen on aligning the draw forces of a bow thru the structure for proper form.
http://www.amazon.com/Archery-Anatomy-Introduction-Techniques-Performance/dp/0285632655/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454771824&sr=1-1&keywords=archery+anatomy
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Next

Return to Video Links