101 ways to Break Root, Weight Shifts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

101 ways to Break Root, Weight Shifts

Postby marvin8 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Published on Aug 26, 2015
WuChiTao “Ting Jing” (listening power).
WuChiTao Tai-Chi Chuan Pushing Hands develops the interactive aspects of our internal martial arts (內家 nèijiā): Internal leverage, reflex, sensitivity, timing, coordination and positioning.

WuChiTao Tai Chi Chuan Push Hands - 101 ways to Break Root:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBYQLNHqIDg

Published on Oct 23, 2015
In this video Yuan SiFu Arthur Cunningham explains the difference between Internal and External martial arts.

Internal martial arts all have a weight-wave (or a weight shift) inside the hits. It is these weight-waves that produce the power component inside the hits. While external martial arts, like: Shao-Lin, Karate, and alike external arts all have their weight and the movement locked together in one action. Having no separation, they are not able to create an internal weight wave… and therefore they need to have bigger actions to create more power. While with internal martial arts it is not the size of the action that gives it more power, but rather it is the depth of the internal compression that makes the greater power in the hit.

WuChiTao – the difference between Internal & External martial art 01:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEU7MuJ4Fw

Published on Oct 26, 2015
Yuan SiFu Arthur Cunningham explains that in WuChiTao Internal Martial Art it is not the external part of the action that does the hitting. Demonstrating how in WuChiTao the external component only provides a channel for the weight wave to travel through.

WuChiTao – the difference between Internal & External 02:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f9PNDZFD2g

Published on Aug 26, 2015
Nei Kung 內功 is the Internal Power of WuChiTao Martial Arts. As opposed to the External Force Martial Art category known as waigong 外功 or "external force" which is historically associated with Shaolin or the "hard style", "external" or wàijiā 外家 Chinese martial arts.
However, within the WuChiTao family of arts there are both internal and external powers, known as: Yin-Kung and Yang-Kung. WuChiTao Yin-Kung (or more commonly called Nei-Kung) seen in this video, develops the ability to: absorb and transfer weight, shifting it around inside your body and then transfer it to another person. While WuChiTao Yang-Kung are the combat moves and formulas of engagement with another person that these weighshifts travel through.
The main goal of WuChiTao is to create in you a balance between the internal and external powers; and to build a mind and spirit worthy of being custodian of both Yin-Kung and Yang-Kung.

WuChiTao Nei Kung – Absorbing & Transfering Double WeightShifts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qILcy4WpQR4
marvin8
Wuji

Re: 101 ways to Break Root, Weight Shifts

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:47 pm

cough...cough....bullshit...cough..cough...
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:28 pm

I just watched the first clip. Frankly, I dunno. This is not really reflective of my training or experiences.

If we are lucky, one day, someone is going to come along and show the actual combative application of this kind of material - ie "After you have made him step back or to the side...THEN what do you do to him? How do you finish it?"

If we get that answer, then the training methodology might make sense. Or not.

But for sure, a LOT of Taiji peeps continue to post these push-jump-hop demos: It seems to be very, very central to what they do. Alas (as noted) it bears little relation to the combative skillsets that I am familiar with. Of course, many will say:
But after you have moved him, you can more easily throw him! Or
If you can push him and move him, then you just had to accelerate the push to drop him!

In which case, I would say:
Why, then, do we see so little evidence of those latter skills, and so much more of the former skills?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:21 am

Andy_S wrote:But for sure, a LOT of Taiji peeps continue to post these push-jump-hop demos: It seems to be very, very central to what they do. Alas (as noted) it bears little relation to the combative skillsets that I am familiar with. Of course, many will say:
But after you have moved him, you can more easily throw him! Or
If you can push him and move him, then you just had to accelerate the push to drop him!

Why, then, do we see so little evidence of those latter skills, and so much more of the former skills?

The Yuan SiFu kind of answers this @ 6:41 of the second video. It’s too dangerous. ;)

“We merely use this method to be able to test this to find out how well it is actually shifting inside your body and transferring into him. We never in training actually liven up and go ahead with a one inch punch where they put the hand on the person. This is what we call a poison hand. If we were to shift weight in here, that would disperse into his body. This would be not good for his health. Certainly, nobody would want to train with you.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:26 am

The "too dangerous poison hand"...well, there it is then.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:55 am

because the "latter" skills are understood the others are not and are questioned as now.

In other arts the same "ideas" concerning first contact are applied and worked on.

There is a logic to it. I immediately apply Aiki when executing my techniques and Kuzushi <my opponent.> I am allowed to do as I please because I have applied Kuzushi. I studied long and hard on what to do if I was held down strongly and unable to move. It was because of this that I was finally able to do Aiki with my Body (Tai Aiki.) You must research and study this.

No matter how my enemy attacks, his strength is sapped from him. This Aiki appears as if it goes against all common sense, and therefore seems even divine to you does it? Without it none of the techniques would seem neither special nor divine, am I right?

http://transparentpower.com/

an example of some of the ideas behind why of just the practice of this from a different art.

The clips where ok, although I do not agree with the idea of "weight shifts"
I feel he expresses this in a wrong way. There other clips that talk about intention
which IMO are more illustrative of the process. He might express it in this way considering his audience feeling that "weight shifts" might be more understandable then words like "yi " "qi" ect Had he used those words some might accuse him of mystifying it.

Why look for others to do it ? why not find out or try to to do it by oneself.
Can any of the detractors do it? Its the only way to know there is no other way.

I can do most of what is shown, and have felt all that is shown,
for those I work with its very understandable what the follow on's are and what could happen.
The point in the clip is demoing a certain aspect and approach.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 pm

This not difficult do with an "opponent" who is "attacking" single dimensionally, stiff, ungrounded and is happy to not fight it. But to the point... what is the point of this skill?

Short answer is the real value is what is supposed to come afterwards which uses the offbalancing to create openings for chinna, throws and striking. The next stage is where skill is really tested especially when trying it against an opponent that does not want to be off balanced, does not want to be hit and is actually attacking.

The guys in the vid seem to be enjoying themselves but the real fun starts when it's non-cooperative.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Video Links