Tai Chi Yielding Energy, Form — Mark Rasmus

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi Yielding Energy, Form — Mark Rasmus

Postby marvin8 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Starting @:15, “The error that tai chi people make is that they move back and away from your training partner. You never want to give a person any space, because, they’re not going to give you that space back. So, you internally yield backwards and you relax into your training partner with the yield. So, I yield into my partner as much as I yield into myself. So, the two directional yield.…”

Published on Jan 28, 2016
Tai Chi Yielding Energy Mark Rasmus 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAA97myEelo

Published on Feb 7, 2016
Lesson 1 Tai Chi Form Mark Rasmus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEs1-b9td34
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi Yielding Energy — Mark Rasmus

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 pm

What if you're only five foot three and up against a human gorilla?
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Re: Tai Chi Yielding Energy, Form — Mark Rasmus

Postby Michael Babin on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:33 am

Many times over the decades I have heard big, strong experts say to their smaller/lighter students or partners "size doesn't matter". They are correct in that size doesn't matter as long as you are more skillful and bigger than the bugger you are training with or fighting.

This is not to complain particularly about Mr. Rasmus who I have never met though as I like most of what he says and demonstrates within the training context of what is shown on the clips of his that I have watched. While I don't currently do any version of the original Cheng Man Ching, I have in the past and some of the older Chinese direct students of his passed on deep skills to their own later students.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Would like to see some film of you michael
You talk teachers all the time but shown nothing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm allowed to talk, Wayne, it's a discussion board.

I don't post film clips of two-person training. You can see clips and photos of solo training on my website; solo movement will tell you something if you have any relevant skill.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:38 pm

At no time did I say you were not allowed to talk
Thank u for directing me to your solo stuff it explains a lot
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi Yielding Energy — Mark Rasmus

Postby dspyrido on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:31 pm

lazyboxer wrote:What if you're only five foot three and up against a human gorilla?

I think in that case the "error that tai chi people make" would be the right mistake to repeat over and over again. Hopefully making the same "error" will bore the gorrilla so much they go off to find easier prey. :-\
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:12 am

What he said about transforming tension into relaxation resonated with me. However, I think it is important to practice this in an adrenal state, since when you are attacked, or in a fight, you will be in an adrenal state. And as is said in the Dog Brothers, "you will do in an adrenal state what you have trained in an adrenal state."

Also, it is important to note that sometimes giving someone space is useful. It can help orient you to what is happening, and (especially if done in an "attack by drawing" sort of way) set your opponent/ attacker up for a counterattack as they move in.

Thanks for sharing these interesting videos!

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Michael Babin wrote:Many times over the decades I have heard big, strong experts say to their smaller/lighter students or partners "size doesn't matter". They are correct in that size doesn't matter as long as you are more skillful and bigger than the bugger you are training with or fighting.

Agreed.

"Size doesn't matter" may apply when a smaller person is up against a less-skilled opponent; however, when both sides are equally skilled, the bigger and heavier one still has a distinct advantage -- especially in Taiji in which a major part of the body mechanics involves maintaining a stable connection to the ground to neutralize and issue energy.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:02 am

C.J.W. wrote:
Michael Babin wrote:Many times over the decades I have heard big, strong experts say to their smaller/lighter students or partners "size doesn't matter". They are correct in that size doesn't matter as long as you are more skillful and bigger than the bugger you are training with or fighting.

Agreed.

"Size doesn't matter" may apply when a smaller person is up against a less-skilled opponent; however, when both sides are equally skilled, the bigger and heavier one still has a distinct advantage -- especially in Taiji in which a major part of the body mechanics involves maintaining a stable connection to the ground to neutralize and issue energy.

Or as the old boxing adage goes "A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un".

One day you may need a dark hand.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:56 am

On a side note, I've heard from several Asian IMA teachers during private conversations that the main reason they "hold out" when teaching in the West is because they need to maintain the gap in skill level in order to be able to control and dominate their Western students -- who are usually taller and heavier than they are. They also admitted that if they lose the technical edge, it will be very hard to handle students who are physically superior to them during practice.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:45 am

C.J.W. wrote:On a side note, I've heard from several Asian IMA teachers during private conversations that the main reason they "hold out" when teaching in the West is because they need to maintain the gap in skill level in order to be able to control and dominate their Western students -- who are usually taller and heavier than they are. They also admitted that if they lose the technical edge, it will be very hard to handle students who are physically superior to them during practice.

I was told exactly that some years back by a very prominent teacher from the Mainland. Also , when asked about demonstrating on the big guy in class (about 6' 2") he said "Won't work - too big!" I admired his honesty, he was actually all round one of the better teachers I worked with
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:22 pm

RobP2 wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:On a side note, I've heard from several Asian IMA teachers during private conversations that the main reason they "hold out" when teaching in the West is because they need to maintain the gap in skill level in order to be able to control and dominate their Western students -- who are usually taller and heavier than they are. They also admitted that if they lose the technical edge, it will be very hard to handle students who are physically superior to them during practice.

I was told exactly that some years back by a very prominent teacher from the Mainland. Also , when asked about demonstrating on the big guy in class (about 6' 2") he said "Won't work - too big!" I admired his honesty, he was actually all round one of the better teachers I worked with

That may be true for some but it doesn't explain why they also hold out from other asian students (who are smaller) as well.

I think culturally they saw the method as the secret surprise weapon. Without the secret and suprise part it levels the playing field. Pre 1900s martial ability meant life and death so it makes sense to build i withholding information.

As for the west - cma instructors refused to teach unworthy students in general who did not listen, where slow or they just did not like. How would westerners look and sound to them who refused to do basics.

And then theres the whole giving away their cultural gems to westerners who were responsible for for pillaging thier culture for a long time.

I'm sure there's other reasons I probably will never fully get.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:50 pm

You guys must have met some poor quality teachers
All any real teacher wants is someone who he can pass his knowledge onto
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:59 am

wayne hansen wrote:You guys must have met some poor quality teachers
All any real teacher wants is someone who he can pass his knowledge onto

Then i guess you must have met only one kind of teacher. :P

There are plenty of teachers with great skill who just want put on a good show and be admired. Some of those choose indoor students and others seem to want to go down without really teaching anyone.

Tai chi teachers regardless skill are just people, some honest and some dishonest, some generous and some very selfish.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links