Aikido Arm Deflections — Uke Nagashi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Aikido Arm Deflections — Uke Nagashi

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:18 am

Published on Oct 20, 2015
**UPDATED***
Aikido Arm Deflections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8tNCeMnLfA
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Aikido Arm Deflections — Uke Nagashi

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:43 am

Not my understanding of uke nagashi from both Iaido and Karate.
Uke = to receive
Nagashi = to avoid and strike/cut simultaneously
Okimitsu Fuji described nagashi as like a stone placed in a river and the water is diverted around the stone whilst still in contact and returning to its original course on the other side.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:20 am

Steve Rowe wrote:Not my understanding of uke nagashi from both Iaido and Karate.
Uke = to receive
Nagashi = to avoid and strike/cut simultaneously
Okimitsu Fuji described nagashi as like a stone placed in a river and the water is diverted around the stone whilst still in contact and returning to its original course on the other side.

Hi Steve,
You are 100% correct. But it is also important to note that
You are not only correct -regarding those two specific styles- but correct across the board. Another name for the concept is kobo-itchi. Meaning attack and defense are one. It's origins are in weapons, but it is incredibly useful in unarmed work as well.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby willie on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 am

He looks like a scrapper, Therefor I like it.
Last edited by willie on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby lazyboxer on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:12 am

willie wrote:He looks like a scrapper, Therefor I like it.

Willie, why are you always acting so aggressive? This is meant to be an internal martial arts forum, right? :o
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby Ah Louis on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:00 pm

:)
Last edited by Ah Louis on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby willie on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:13 pm

lazyboxer wrote:

Willie, why are you always acting so aggressive? This is meant to be an internal martial arts forum, right? :o

Oh, come on...
Your playing with me right?
no one even agrees on what internal is any way's.
Last edited by willie on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Ah Louis on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:34 pm

I thought I recognized the second instructor. I am not too familiar with the Rogue Warriors, I have seen some video clips both Sly (Aikido, MMA) and Izzo (Wing chung,MMA). Sly sure isn't the stereotypical hippie doing Aikido, a scrapper for sure. Am not one to make an unsolicited critique of another, I am doing so not in a negative way. It is hard to explain in this format precise technical information, but will give it my best. I do like the attitude and approach he has.

I am using referenced profession terms which I feel is more universal than any specific martial art nomenclature to better communicate the following. Because, I think in martial arts, we get stuck in the art's traditional nomenclature and approach. Many don't consider utilizing/applying the knowledge of western science coupled with traditional nomenclature and approach can have beneficial results.

I would think if he positioned his pelvis at the neutral angle at a certain point during some of the technique would be more beneficial. For example, hips in a balanced position, not tilted when one leg is advanced in front of another. The weight starts out even and then shifts accordingly to the position of the leading leg while maintaining balance and neutral angle of the pelvis at all times; avoiding any type of pelvis tilt. These described body mechanics are applied at certain points of the technique help enhance the technique performance. Knowing a bit of physical therapy, kinesiology, and physics are helpful for some Aikido practitioner performance. As in anything else sport or art there is no substitute for putting the elbow grease into the spit shine.
Last edited by Ah Louis on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby lazyboxer on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:12 pm

willie wrote:
lazyboxer wrote:

Oh, come on...
Your playing with me right?
no one even agrees on what internal is any way's.

Just feeling a bit impish! ;D ;D
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Return to Video Links