aikido tai chi form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

aikido tai chi form

Postby emptycloud on Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

emptycloud

Re: aikido tai chi form

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 03, 2016 3:15 am

One of the very worst tai chi form (fragment) demonstrations I've ever seen was performed by none other than Mr Akuzawa Minoru.

This is pretty close to that. Could only watch it a few seconds...

There is nothing "tai chi" about it.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue May 03, 2016 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue May 03, 2016 4:00 am

...???...

Tai chi? Where?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Tue May 03, 2016 7:21 am

Uhm...
Those are all Aikido techniques, done as a connected solo form. It has nothing to do with taiji.
All you had to do, Rich was read the caption. :-\
This is the guy also giving out fake Menkyo Kaidens in TSKSR... good pick.

Rich...still batting a perfect record... of useless videos...filled with misinformation! Your video picks from aikido and Aikijujutsu are a virtual who's who of wierdos, ner-do-wells, and out right frauds.
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby willie on Tue May 03, 2016 7:47 am

his body is broken. no clean lines or integration and the top half is just waving his arms.
nice and peaceful, but not correct.
willie

Postby Ah Louis on Tue May 03, 2016 8:00 am

@@@
Bodywork wrote:Uhm...
Those are all Aikido techniques, done as a connected solo form. It has nothing to do with taiji.
All you had to do, Rich was read the caption. :-\
This is the guy also giving out fake Menkyo Kaidens in TSKSR... good pick.
Cady and John Pearson will just love him!

Rich...still batting a perfect record... of useless videos...filled with misinformation!
Do you know anyone who isn't a bozo, Rich?
Your video picks from aikido and Aikijujutsu are a virtual who's who of wierdos, ner-do-wells, and out right frauds.

@@@ @@@ @@@
Last edited by Ah Louis on Tue May 03, 2016 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby Bodywork on Tue May 03, 2016 8:41 am

willie wrote:his body is broken. no clean lines or integration and the top half is just waving his arms.

As basic forms go I could agree. And in fairness to Sugawara that is what he is showing anyway.
But true connection (past form work) isn't dependent on clean lines. Nor is it dependent on verticality either.
Once you get to a certain point, your movement is entirely free in expression: standing, rolling, weapons, no weapons.
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Tue May 03, 2016 9:19 am

emptycloud wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRJ0HeQkcs

Rich

Rich
Your link did lead me to this excellent video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdfKixydUo
Now...THIS...was truly useful.
I got to watch while eating lunch. So thanks for that
Bodywork

Postby emptycloud on Tue May 03, 2016 9:53 am

Last edited by emptycloud on Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby Ah Louis on Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am

emptycloud wrote:http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/tetsutaka-sugawara-aikido-taiji/

Rich

-dropjaw- -bow- good read
Last edited by Ah Louis on Tue May 03, 2016 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby Bodywork on Tue May 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Ah Louis wrote:
emptycloud wrote:http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/tetsutaka-sugawara-aikido-taiji/

Rich

-dropjaw- -bow- good read

::) ::)
I'm not interested in his aikido or taiji.
His TSKSR statements are erroneous. He was NOT given permission to teach and was repeatedly asked to stop. Later he started awarding menkyo. Pretty difficult since he never achieved such rank himself.
At any rate, it was for that reason that he (and his students at the time) were asked to leave. Further action was taken that is not relevant here.
Bodywork

Postby willie on Tue May 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Bodywork wrote:
willie wrote:his body is broken. no clean lines or integration and the top half is just waving his arms.

As basic forms go I could agree. And in fairness to Sugawara that is what he is showing anyway.
But true connection (past form work) isn't dependent on clean lines. Nor is it dependent on verticality either.
Once you get to a certain point, your movement is entirely free in expression: standing, rolling, weapons, no weapons.

I half agree, yes it's a bit more natural, but the work that you have already installed should be visibly apparent. If
he is representing the mechanics necessary to "power" taiji, they are not there. Perhaps he just has his own Aikido way.
willie

Postby Ah Louis on Tue May 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Bodywork wrote: ::) ::)
I'm not interested in his aikido or taiji.
His TSKSR statements are erroneous. He was NOT given permission to teach and was repeatedly asked to stop. Later he started awarding menkyo. Pretty difficult since he never achieved such rank himself.
At any rate, it was for that reason that he (and his students at the time) were asked to leave. Further action was taken that is not relevant here.

Last edited by Ah Louis on Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ah Louis

Postby Bodywork on Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 pm

willie wrote:
Bodywork wrote:

I half agree, yes it's a bit more natural, but the work that you have already installed should be visibly apparent. If
he is representing the mechanics necessary to "power" taiji, they are not there. Perhaps he just has his own Aikido way.

We agree. I'm just not commenting on the quality of his movement...at all. ;) :-X
Rather movement ...in general.
Bodywork

Postby northern_mantis on Tue May 03, 2016 1:14 pm

The benefits of slowing down and softening any martial art or any sport for that matter are numerous and largely obvious. It's weird how tai chi folk get very defensive when anybody strays in to what they regard as their territory.

As for the beef that seems to be apparent amongst JMA, well that is some Jeremy Kyle grade drama! If I was involved in that I would bump off the establishment and go my own way in the same way this chap has.
Last edited by northern_mantis on Tue May 03, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Next

Return to Video Links