2015 Worlds

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

2015 Worlds

Postby Ian on Fri May 13, 2016 9:39 pm

Nice highlight.

Ian

Re: 2015 Worlds

Postby Ian on Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 am

It always surprises me how formats that allow the most amount of freedom... generate the least amount of discussion.

CMAs are ti da shuai na. This is about as freestyle as you can get with shuai and na - even less restrictive than shuai jiao.
Last edited by Ian on Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby dspyrido on Tue May 17, 2016 6:24 pm

It's strange but I found parts of it boring with only a few sections being interesting. Maybe its the way it's shot but a lot of the wins where just safe local comp level stuff.

Perhaps I am asking for too much but as a point of reference I love this video.

Plus this one has some stunning moves.

Idk.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Ian on Tue May 17, 2016 8:39 pm

dspyrido wrote:Maybe its the way it's shot but a lot of the wins where just safe local comp level stuff.

What does that mean?

Keep in mind, there's a large skill disparity between the Mendes bros and local Japanese black belts.
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 am

Judo high level bouts are sometimes not quite interesting, not only for amateurs - too much "Thinking" and looking for opportunity, or ground games time.
Matters of changing rules...?

comparing watching wrestling - judo TV?,
well
matter of taste,
somebody likes men in underwear others in suits :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 18, 2016 2:01 am

What makes jiujitsu interesting, or not, to watch, seems to be utterly random. I can't pin it down. For some reason I don't like watching highlight reels - I get bored. I've no idea why that is. ;D

I remember watching Eddie Bravo vs Royler 2 and that was edge of the seat stuff but there were no big throws or acrobatics. You can't get a video of it as it was broadcast, but here's the one with Bravo and Rogan talking all over it. I think, like all fights, they're better when they're 'live' and you don't know what's going to happen. Then there's tension and drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJ7OmR-Zxc
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed May 18, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 18, 2016 5:23 am

Haven’t really been following judo. However, here’s a judo highlight reel.

Published on Feb 29, 2016
Watch World Champions Teddy Riner return to action after winning his 8th Title, Yu Song does not disappoint home fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tsi8UCbYyw
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Yugen on Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 am

dspyrido wrote:It's strange but I found parts of it boring with only a few sections being interesting. Maybe its the way it's shot but a lot of the wins where just safe local comp level stuff.

Plus this one has some stunning moves.

Idk.

I like BJJ, but I always look at what is being regularly trained and how it translates to basic self-defense and combatives. The opening of the BJJ video the guy immediately goes to dog-a$$ wiping his butt across the floor... I can't stand watching that.
Ryan
Seattle, WA
Yugen
Mingjing

Postby dspyrido on Wed May 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Ian wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Maybe its the way it's shot but a lot of the wins where just safe local comp level stuff.

What does that mean?

Keep in mind, there's a large skill disparity between the Mendes bros and local Japanese black belts.

You highlighted what I'm saying with your second comment.

There are many local comps going on & it's more fun & educational to be there than an edited youtube vid. Plus there are bonus excitement points for supporting your friends and competing.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Ian on Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Dspyrido,

You said the Worlds clip was "boring", and the Rickson Cup clip was entertaining.

The Mendes bros look flashy in the Rickson Cup video, because they're fighting lower-level competitors. The matches can look "boring" when competitors are evenly matched.

Depends whether you want to see challenging fights or not.

Yes, it's more exciting to see comps live, I'm not disputing that.
Ian

Postby middleway on Thu May 19, 2016 3:26 am

The Mendes bros look flashy in the Rickson Cup video, because they're fighting lower-level competitors. The matches can look "boring" when competitors are evenly matched.

Hear that a lot about the Mendes Clips, But even so, those guys are still absolutely Legit BJJ Black Belts, which in itself when looking at the wider world is an elite level of grappling capability. So in general terms its still insanely impressive to be able to play with Elite level grapplers like that IMO.

On the worlds clip. Loved it. :D

Very hard contextually for people not interested in the sport however which i totally understand. They will frame what they see with their personal focus. Self defense guys will not enjoy watching someone voluntarily pull guard etc and understandably so.

But IMO if you can work with competitors like those your are going to be able to manhandle almost anyone you meet on the streets and it is a HUGE mistake to think that these guys would pull guard in a real fight situation.

BJJ is absolutely NOT what i would consider a comprehensive or 'good' self defense system. however the techniques like pulling guard can, and arguably should, be looked past to see what the individual can do with their bodies under changing conditions. That ability alone is very transferable.

for instance...

The physical domination and changeability on show here against someone of similar size, is extremely useful in general terms (taking the actual techniques out of the equation) and especially against another elite Grappler (i think this is BJJ vs Judo but not sure). In my experience of many real fights there is a lot of hesitation and shitty decisions going on. While your average joe would be hesitating or wildly scrambling for anything they can get the expert Grappler (read, wrester, BJJ, judo, Taiji) would be dominating all of the positions needed to control or finish the fight.

Thanks
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Thu May 19, 2016 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 19, 2016 3:37 am

If you want a good display of JiuJitsu used for fighting then Demian Maia vs Matt Brown was an absolute clinic in how to destroy an elite level athlete with jiujtisu. Then on the same night Vitor Belfort decided to pull guard and got immediately TKO'd. Horses for courses :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 am

If you want a good display of JiuJitsu used for fighting then Demian Maia vs Matt Brown was an absolute clinic in how to destroy an elite level athlete with jiujtisu. Then on the same night Vitor Belfort decided to pull guard and got immediately TKO'd. Horses for courses :)

Amen to that! Damian Maia is just epic.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu May 19, 2016 4:30 am

I wrote a blog post about this... oh wait. not yet. sorry.
*this post does not exist*
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu May 19, 2016 4:46 am

middleway wrote:...those guys are still absolutely Legit BJJ Black Belts...

Well, that's exactly my point.

The Mendes bros are elite - Rafa is 5x world champ, Gui is 4x world champ. Of course they're going to look dominant when they fight national-level, standard black belts.

And of course it looks more "boring" when skill is evenly matched, e.g.

Personally, I'd rather watch the latter, even though the former looks more entertaining. I don't watch fight clips for entertainment value.

BJJ is absolutely NOT what i would consider a comprehensive or 'good' self defense system. however the techniques like pulling guard can, and arguably should, be looked past to see what the individual can do with their bodies under changing conditions.

Why look past pulling guard? Pulling guard is just one (of many) logical ways to attack immediately:

I spar with the national judo team - none of them can work any of their throws when I pull guard. And then they get submitted. (Although this is no excuse to ignore standing grappling).

You could talk about multiple attackers and weapons, but 99% of TMAs don't apply to multiples and weapons, anyway. It's all just a game :)

And yeah, I'd probably not pull guard in a street fight, but my friend did berimbolo someone and choke him out on THE MEAN STREETS.
Last edited by Ian on Thu May 19, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Next

Return to Video Links