Mike Sigman silk reeling exercises

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Mike Sigman silk reeling exercises

Postby willie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:39 am

Bodywork wrote:
willie wrote:I'm not discussing taiji or ICMA. I'm talking mechanics and power and purity of movement, not camera angles. \

I'm not talking about him, I don't even care.
I intentionally detune the bows as not to rattle my brain so much, in training not martial. cool at first, the power and all, but no need to show off power.
I have it.
I'm also not interested in reeling silk video's that don't show how it's used martially and I don't care about that either, have it.
I have no problem with your opinions.
to me "if someone is training an art they should be able to use it".
I don't care about politics at all.
Thanks for your reply.
Last edited by willie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:17 pm

I don't know why but someone just sent me this in a private message
https://www.facebook.com/groups/923286487692029/
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:50 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I don't know why but someone just sent me this in a private message

Seriously embarrassing post.

To each his own. I would never choose to move like Mike. But if someone likes that, good for him, everybody is free to choose how to waste his time.

I remember a really tough guy telling me: Jaime, I have trained with many guys from Taichi, Yiquan, Taikiken, Aikido...and they are not powerful, not even a bit. None of them would have a chance against wrestlers, boxers, thai boxers, kick boxers, judokas, bjjers, mmaers, stickfighters...

It wasnt fault of these guys or these styles, they had to work with shitty explanations, like most people.

Same guy after he met Dan: Jaime, he is the most powerful martial artist I have ever met. ::)

I understand that it may hurt someone's feelings that a JIMA guy could explain IMA ideas better than many CIMAists. It is what is. -sumo-

I have fighters, much better than me, better than I ever will be, leaving all to train this stuff. Many of them have trained CIMA and JIMA before and ended sick to death of these arts. Why are they coming? I suck and they know it, but they know that the explanations of the stuff are gold. That's the best thing with Dan, he CAN teach the stuff.

Mike's explanations? No thanks
Last edited by jaime_g on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:59 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I don't know why but someone just sent me this in a private message

Notice I stick to rational discussion. And I don't care to discuss Chinese or Japanese arts. I like to discuss pure logic and mechanics and why it works.
Mike? Instead of logical explanations? Mike is the one using all taiji and ICMA buzzwords and simply cannot offer rational explanations, for why most of his videos have been viewed by a host of the very experts he tells everyone to go to... who keep repeatedly correcting his work.
So, he opts for insults. Not only to me, but all who train with me.
It really is a strange stance. And it speaks volumes.
Again just watch the current raft of videos. Any reasonably trained person will see where I questioned the what I see as serious flaws in OP video. I laid it out by the numbers.
Weird that so many. Sooo many ICMA teachers see it all too.
Oh well. Rather than comment rationally, Mike insults anyone who disagrees with him.
I'll bail.
Bodywork

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:29 pm

How do you explain the picture of you with the whiteboard Dan? Genuinely interested to know how you explain that.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:21 pm

jaime_g wrote:

Seriously embarrassing post.

To each his own. I would never choose to move like Mike. But if someone likes that, good for him, everybody is free to choose how to waste his time.

I remember a really tough guy telling me: Jaime, I have trained with many guys from Taichi, Yiquan, Taikiken, Aikido...and they are not powerful, not even a bit. None of them would have a chance against wrestlers, boxers, thai boxers, kick boxers, judokas, bjjers, mmaers, stickfighters...

It wasnt fault of these guys or these styles, they had to work with shitty explanations, like most people.

Same guy after he met Dan: Jaime, he is the most powerful martial artist I have ever met. ::)

I understand that it may hurt someone's feelings that a JIMA guy could explain IMA ideas better than many CIMAists. It is what is. -sumo-

I have fighters, much better than me, better than I ever will be, leaving all to train this stuff. Many of them have trained CIMA and JIMA before and ended sick to death of these arts. Why are they coming? I suck and they know it, but they know that the explanations of the stuff are gold. That's the best thing with Dan, he CAN teach the stuff.

Mike's explanations? No thanks

So... are you saying that Dan himself endorses all of those statements you just made?

you got a video of yourself, i'd like to see WHO you are...
Last edited by willie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Chris Li on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:12 pm

GrahamB wrote:How do you explain the picture of you with the whiteboard Dan? Genuinely interested to know how you explain that.

Hmm... I took that photo...

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to remember Dan talking about the running animal thing at least two years before that (I'd have to check my notes).

For sure, Dan has used some of Mike's terms at workshops in Hawaii - but every time that I can recall he also gave him credit for coining the term. He's actually very careful to credit whoever he quotes or references. I can't recall him using any of Mike's terms after it became an internet issue.

Anyway, don't we all use other people's words? I can't recall any martial arts instructor who uses nothing but originally created unique terminology, in any art.

Best,

Chris
Last edited by Chris Li on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Li
Mingjing

Postby willie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Chris Li wrote:
GrahamB wrote:How do you explain the picture of you with the whiteboard Dan? Genuinely interested to know how you explain that.

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to remember Dan talking about the running animal thing at least two years before that (I'd have to check my notes).

For sure, Dan has used some of Mike's terms at workshops in Hawaii - but every time that I can recall he also gave him credit for coining the term. He's actually very careful to credit whoever he quotes or references. I can't recall him using any of Mike's terms after it became an internet issue.

Anyway, don't we all use other people's words? I can't recall any martial arts instructor who uses nothing but originally created unique terminology, in any art.

Best,

Chris

are you saying what I think your saying?
pirate the material, then put down the guy that you pirated from? LOL!
come on man, that can't be correct.
willie

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Is there a precedent for a thread being reopened? The Global Moderator was in rare form tonight.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:52 pm

So... are you saying that Dan himself endorses all of those statements you just made?

What statements?

1. That I suck
2. That Dan can teach IMA better than many guys.
3. That a tough fighter thinks that Dan is the most poweful martial artist that he've ever met.
4. That there are many fighters coming to learn the stuff because they know it's good.

There are videos of myself in this forum, I dont see your point. I'm just a hema instructor that trains internals -shrug-
Last edited by jaime_g on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Chris Li on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:44 am

willie wrote:
Chris Li wrote:

Best,

Chris

Where did I say anything at all about pirating material? If I say "Person XXX calls this XXX" (which is exactly how Dan phrased it) because I think that it's an elegant way to describe the concept, how is that pirating? You probably use terms like Yin/Yang, etc. - did you invent those terms? Are you "pirating material" by using those terms?

Best,

Chris
Chris Li
Mingjing

Postby Marko on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:12 am

FWIW, I first heard about animal running in relation to open/close back in 2010, on a snake style tai chi seminar. I doubt anyone can call dibs on using nature to explain concepts. The cat pose in yoga also comes to mind as it is the same open/close action in relation to the same animal movement, so making that comparison predates all of us by some centuries at least.

Marko
Marko
Anjing

Postby littlepanda on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:44 am

Last edited by littlepanda on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby willie on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 am

Chris Li wrote:
willie wrote:

Where did I say anything at all about pirating material? If I say "Person XXX calls this XXX" (which is exactly how Dan phrased it) because I think that it's an elegant way to describe the concept, how is that pirating? You probably use terms like Yin/Yang, etc. - did you invent those terms? Are you "pirating material" by using those terms?

Best,

Chris

No, usually if someone credits someone as a source it would be more like.
I learned this set from Shihan _____or I learned it from Sensei _____or I learned it from Master____ Etc...
Which means that they are crediting them as their instructor.
No one would credit a phrase like " O look at me I'm stupid, I learned the word yin today from a guy on the net"...
willie

Postby willie on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:11 am

jaime_g wrote:

What statements?

1. That I suck
2. That Dan can teach IMA better than many guys.
3. That a tough fighter thinks that Dan is the most poweful martial artist that he've ever met.
4. That there are many fighters coming to learn the stuff because they know it's good.

There are videos of myself in this forum, I dont see your point. I'm just a hema instructor that trains internals -shrug-

Dan is a very good martial artist.
Do you know what profiling means? that means that from your earlier post you have effectively profiled an entire group of people
from around the entire world as _______________. You fill in the blank. Wait but you already did.
this is what you said. " I have trained with many guys from Taichi, Yiquan, Taikiken, Aikido...and they are not powerful, not even a bit.
None of them would have a chance against wrestlers, boxers, thai boxers, kick boxers, judokas, bjjers, mmaers, stickfighters..."
Last edited by willie on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links