TCMA Heavy sparring

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

TCMA Heavy sparring

Postby middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:58 am

Hi all,

Just found this channel, looks like a focus on Xing Yi - Tang Shou Tao. the guy is an ABSOLUTE TANK which in my opinion is really not beneficial for the sort of body method Xing Yi uses. But I thought it was awesome to see a group putting in a lot of effort into testing their stuff.

This is not a thread to comment on how 'Real the Xing Yi is ..' - I have my thoughts on it all but that's not really the point of the thread. Just thought some here might enjoy watching them try their work out in free environment like i did.

Xing Yi Horse & 'alive' application.

some friendly 'Xing Yi Sparring'. Which reminds me of my early days training xing yi and testing it out with my training bros back then, completely free and just trying the stuff out. Times have moved on but its fun to remember! :D

Shed load of sparring work on the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kingoffist

Just thought some here may enjoy.

thanks
Chris.
Last edited by middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: TCMA Heavy sparring

Postby willie on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 am

lol
willie

Postby middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:58 am

lol

... think of that all by yourself? You must be proud, congratulations.
Last edited by middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 am

middleway wrote:
lol

... think of that all by yourself? You must be proud, congratulations.

yup, I sure did.
willie

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

The buff guy's name is Chung, a relatively well-known figure among Taiwan's younger generation of CMAists. He is also a competitive bodybuilder who goes by the nickname "Arnold" (as in Arnold Schwarzenegger). I've watched him compete in various MMA and Sanda matches in Taiwan over the years, and he certainly has a lot of passion for what he does.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:23 am

The buff guy's name is Chung, a relatively well-known figure among Taiwan's younger generation of CMAists. He is also a competitive bodybuilder who goes by the nickname "Arnold" (as in Arnold Schwarzenegger). I've watched him compete in various MMA and Sanda matches in Taiwan over the years, and he certainly has a lot of passion for what he does.

Thanks for the Context.

Literally just happened upon the channel while checking out some Xing yi videos on YT.

He is seriously big. haha. Very problematic for Xing Yi's power generation methods, but at least he is mixing it up. From the main highlight clip it looks like he was a lot smaller when doing MMA/ sanda.

cheers.
Last edited by middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:16 am

some nice stuff in there.
cheers Chris
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:38 am

He is seriously big. haha. Very problematic for Xing Yi's power generation methods,

interesting care to share your findings thoughts on this?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bill on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:39 am

How long has he been studying and who is his instructor?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:52 am

some friendly 'Xing Yi Sparring'.

What would make this unique to xing yi as apposed to anything else?
what I look at is stepping, distance control and type of usage compared to what is practiced.

for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttVm3Gig1E

there is a clear carry over to what is practiced and used...I ask this only out of curiosity
in my own experience the differences in the what and how cma is used is quite distinct
windwalker
Wuji

Postby middleway on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:10 am

interesting care to share your findings thoughts on this?

Sure,

At a certain point the size of the muscles closes or pulls on the joints and will naturally segment the chain when attempting to perform the sort of whole body actions found in Xing Yi.

Quite often the muscle growth out strips the speed at which the fascia that it is contained within can grow (similar to the condition known as compartment syndrome, in which the muscle swells placing pressure on the fascia). This expansion at 90degrees to the muscle fibres will pull on the muscles tendon connections, over time these cross pulls can change the tissues and the limbs cant function as well as they might. Hence why we see bodybuilders unable to straighten their arms etc. Imagine holding taught two ends of a partially inflated ball, As it inflates further your grip points will be drawn together. A similar thing happens when muscle size exceeds a certain threshhold or grows too fast for the fascia to adapt adequately.

This is not always a bad thing and in rare instances people with high volumes of lean mass can retain elasticity in their fascia and these problems don't occur, such as elite gymnasts. However this man, and the general population would invariably find that once you pass the muscle size threshold, the Xing Yi power will drop off. Again, not always the case and in some systems it is not a factor, Tyson certainly didnt seem to be inhibited by his size.

But the point here is relevant to Xing Yi specifically where part of the power generation is reliant on how force is transmitted effectively through well aligned and open joints. Muscle mass of a certain size inhibits this, like a series of 'breakers' throughout frame. So specifically for Xing Yi, it is worth avoiding going over a certain size in my opinion.

I have seen it numerous times in real life, where people initially had 'heavy hands', then put on loads of lean mass and their punching power seems to drop off. We also see it in some of the true power strikers in the UFC where seemingly less muscular guys or girls have hands that can lay their opponents dead out.

Understanding where this thresh hold is, and how to avoid going over it, is the important point.

Just my thoughts on it.
Chris.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:40 am

windwalker wrote:
some friendly 'Xing Yi Sparring'.

What would make this unique to xing yi as apposed to anything else?
what I look at is stepping, distance control and type of usage compared to what is practiced.

for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttVm3Gig1E

there is a clear carry over to what is practiced and used...I ask this only out of curiosity
in my own experience the differences in the what and how cma is used is quite distinct

I can't speak much about xingyi, but I would be interested in Chris's take on this.
It's a difficult conundrum sometimes particularly if like these guys they want to go compete against any number of other styles/systems, and hard to articulate I imagine.
Particularly if you don't want to cause aggro.. lol

I also think you need to get seasoned and experienced and know the other guys games before you can really effectively implement your own specific style.
I'm not sure style really "comes first" if that makes sense.. Though I am largely speaking from a TCC point of view..

good luck Chris ;D
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:09 pm

The sparring doesn't look like hsing i to me. The punches are disconnected from the body. The whole body should move forward. They should be pulling themselves forward with the lead arm even if there is no contact. I understand the trepidation of the smaller guy to mix it up but there were many lost chances, pretty much the entire video. The kicks were terrible. They should be step kicking the opponent's shin when moving forward not side kicking without any intent. What was the point of those weak kicks? They lose their balance and the way they are delivered they can't be followed up with punches. The entry should be kick/punch/punch but they are avoiding conflict. That is not hsing i.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:34 pm

His sparring is for mma
If you troll through his site you will find some form training but is mostly pretty much the same thing clip after clip
I am pretty sure he comes down through the hsu hong chi lineage as I do
His whole title is
Arnold the barbarian
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bill on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:41 pm

He's kickboxing. I see no attempt to use any Hsing-I while sparring.
Also, his ma-hsing (horse) needs a ton of work.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links