How To Generate Internal Power

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: How To Generate Internal Power

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:32 am

Studying these myofascial lines has definitely helped improve my movement and athleticism.

But of course, it's not something that instantly causes you to level up after one viewing. And it is becoming a catch-all, like the 'yoga' suffix. Valid critique.

Of course, Tom Meyers clearly didn't intend 'myofascia' as a panacea:
The fibrous system communicates mechanical information - tension and compression - via the intercellular matrix of fascia, tendon, ligament, and bone. This information is a vibration that travels at the speed of sound, about 700mph - slower than light, but definitely faster than the nervous system.
Last edited by Ian on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby cloudz on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:41 am

it's an interesting discussion.

I kind of fall between 2 camps on this though for myself I slightly prefer the metaphorical/ experiential approach: ie. traditional..
I realise for many that's pretty esoteric and the language can be an issue.

Having said that I love reading about and understanding it from the modern Western anatomical perspective too.
It can help and illuminate a lot and provide further insights that I think have been really instrumental in moving things forwards.

It's just a personal preference really, and I'm better able as a person to think conceptually and metaphorically/ experientially in most cases.
This in conceptual terms gives you a bunch of different terms etc.
My brain doesn't like too much raw data and scientific information. I find it quite hard to process and retain.

As far as training, I'm not really sure how much it helps which model you use. Probably depends on the person.
In so much as I don't fully use all parts of the Chinese traditional model, because of lack of brainpower and preference, this works as a great adjunct to fill in gaps for me.

I particularly like Chris's work here and how he gets it across in his courses, it saves me the work lol!
A lot of people want this information and it's good that this stuff is out there.
My experience on another board though also highlights some scepticism out there - but I think some people are always sceptical about IMA's. Which kind of always sucks.. doesn't it.

One day I will get round to buying/ reading the books on this Chris recommends. It's good to know about the body anyway, connecting it to what we do I can't see anything other than beneficial and worthwhile.

It's a different knowledge/ paradigm, and has something good and useful to offer.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:42 am

RobP3 wrote:I've been working a lot lately with Ryabko's method of "moving tension", where you can establish a start and end point from one part of the body to another. Eg, shoulder to the fist. It is interesting how the tension can be moved around this way and how a kind of "mobile" power can be developed with it. It certainly partly accounts for Ryabko's incredible hitting power IMHO.

I have no idea if it has anything to do with Myofascials but I suspect it may have. The Russians have and continue to do a huge amount of research in this area. I'll see if I can get some video up shortly

That's essentially how the feldenkrais people do it. I always considered this stuff to be to do with how the muscles chain together, and how to release parts of the body that are being held tight for some reason. I've always been skeptical of using myofascials as a replacement for explanations of qi et al, but if you actually watch Myers explain it in his interview, he mainly uses the fascials as a guide to see which muscles are linked to each other in which directions. There is some discussion of trying to work how much force (if any) is passed down these chains but he says that has yet to be properly studied and quantified in a scientific manner. He does say that from his experience as a therapist it seems to give good results. The hard part is defining a scientific study that is specific enough to be considered good science but also general enough that it can be applied across a large demographic of the population (including people who may not necessarily be elite athletes)
zrm
Huajing

Postby zrm on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:47 am

cloudz wrote:My experience on another board though also highlights some scepticism out there - but I think some people are always sceptical about IMA's. Which kind of always sucks.. doesn't it.

Organize a friendly meet up and ask if you can punch them in the chest. Usually removes a lot of the skepticism.
Last edited by zrm on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
zrm
Huajing

Postby cloudz on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:09 am

zrm wrote:
cloudz wrote:My experience on another board though also highlights some scepticism out there - but I think some people are always sceptical about IMA's. Which kind of always sucks.. doesn't it.

Organize a friendly meet up and ask if you can punch them in the chest. Usually removes a lot of the skepticism.

oh we did that years ago.. several times ;D

Don't worry I offer people out sometimes if they wind me up enough..
I always offer Sanda and stand up grappling to anyone that wants it with me.
No worries.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't see any contradiction between traditional and modern ideas as I always look to one to support the other. In Tai Chi we often talk about the 'bodysuit' as one connected 'muscle' and about 'spine power' the '3 bows' '4 pumps' 'raising the head' raising the back' 'sinking the chest' the description of the dantien, all fit nicely with this work. As a coach I'm comfortable switching from one to the other and validating one with the other. Proper validation and of course the end product is physical and I'm always happy to do that. It's encouraging that I'm not the only one looking in these areas to improve my coaching methods.

I've been doing a series of these clips for woma.tv at their request and as my physical condition improves I'd like to demonstrate and explain my research on Yang fa jin, I'm back in Czech for my 25th Summer Course (I collapsed on the journey home from there last year resulting in 5 more surgeries) in a couple of weeks and will be teaching it there to a lot of very experienced people. Sharing the teaching also with Aikido's Robert Mustard and Joe Thambu so will be fun and a good sharing experience.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby lars on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 am

Great introduction! Very concrete and to the point. I like it. Also because you manage to convey a genuine joy and enthusiasm for the subject.
Also thanks for the link to the video with Tom Myers, I have been looking for info like this. (and especially liked how he talks like agent Smith ;D )
lars
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links