8 Basic Body actions (shenfa)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: 8 Basic Body actions (shenfa)

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I-mon wrote:
willie wrote:another guy talking crap about taiji striking power. he is nothing.

I wish people would just fuck off with comments like this. Why can't you participate in a conversation without insulting someone?

Simon, you are an Australian and a gentleman online and, I assume, in real life, too. Your countrymen on rsf can be a tad bit aggresive and unbending in their opinions. I have clashed with waynehansen, willywrong, finny and dspyrido and recently pointed out to finny that being an asshole is not just an American problem. Willie, like Dan Harden and Mike Sigman, is from the east coast of the USA. They are collectively known as East Coast Assholes. In NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. (remember Crocodile Dundee) no one makes eye contact with strangers or smiles. When Willie makes eye contact with someone they ask, "What the fuck are you looking at?" and he probably responds in kind. That is the main reason Willie and Dan come off the way they do. It really isn't personal. That's why Willie didn't realise he sounded like a dick.

Cloudz has spent a lot of time recently on this forum and the other one he mentioned discussing cima with a bunch of people who don't have a clue. He's frustrated. Some talented martial artists have stopped posting here and a few have deleted their accounts. Derek Notman posted a nice video of his training after not posting for a while, waynehansen complimented it, I was waiting for more. But Derek must have looked through some of the nonsense that gets posted here, such as the videos which 99% are not cima. Then he was gone.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:44 pm

[quote="Taste of Death"]

Willie is from the east coast of the USA. [quote]

that's the east coast for ya.

Now, back to peace and enlightenment.
thank you!
Last edited by willie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willie

Postby I-mon on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks fellas. Maybe I'm ageing and my memory is going a bit fuzzy, but I feel like there was a time when this board was mostly friendly good times, with an occasional troll or two. Anyway I've always thought that the East Coast produced better rap music.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:37 pm

I-mon wrote:Thanks fellas. Maybe I'm ageing and my memory is going a bit fuzzy, but I feel like there was a time when this board was mostly friendly good times, with an occasional troll or two. Anyway I've always thought that the East Coast produced better rap music.

hey thanks for reminding us to be polite. hong kong too.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:47 pm

willie wrote:
marvin8 wrote:
You didn't say what part you thought was trashing .

He's talking about taiji , flashy fajin, no power in their strikes and so on, is B.S.
Fajin is a natural occurrence from doing things correctly, not the other way around.
I don't mind your posts, you like sport fighters and so do I. My favorite is early Tyson by the way.
I think I'm just getting tired of trash talking in general.

Thanks. I think I understand your point. Mark says to use small circles in fighting. Because, small circles are more powerful, efficient and faster. Apparently, you disagree with that. IMO in fighting, large and small circles are both powerful and useful depending on what's happening in the moment.

I have always taken your posts as an honest opinion and/or attacking the topic, not the person posting it. Although, I may be wrong. :)

What is your definition of “trash talking?” Mark may have a different view on taiji, than yours. However IMO, you can’t honestly say Mark is trashing taiji, since he teaches taiji. Chen Xiaowang also says the higher levels use small to no visible circles. Is Chen Xiaowang trashing taiji? IMO, no. I have posted various videos, which may have a different viewpoint. However, I am not trashing taiji. I already stated that in my posts. However, I don't want to have to put a disclaimer in every one of my posts.

As far as fighting, I like to watch high level skills in fighting, in general. I find some in combat sports at the moment. I have not seen any difference in IMA and “external” skills, when it comes to sparring and competition. However, I am not saying high level IMA fighting does not exist.

Gianfranco Pace, Taiji instructor,
Young people who have an interest, have an opportunity to test themselves, in official matches in Boxing, Sanda, and different Kick Boxing techniques, K1, and in traditional Kung Fu matches. With every victory, respect grows for Taijiquan as a martial art – a realistic fighting art capable of adapting to any kind of match regulation. . . .
I can understand that some readers may think: “But this is not Taijiquan.” However, in my opinion we should concentrate on what Taijiquan is, in its martial application, without worrying about what isn’t Taijiquan.

marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Willie may have across harsh but the sentiment is correct - i can see things that dont work for me in this video. Now if i was to meet him & let him hit me then i can really say he has or has not got power but on the surface i think he lacks power. Why?

- he steps, stops and throws the arms which halts the momentum and power. Its a split second off but its there.
- his back bows the wrong way which effects the ground line of the power making his attack easier to offbalance.
- his chop or cutting move has his weight dropping and the arm continuing which is again disconnecting loosing momentum.

There might be other points but i gave up watching. I will put a disclaimer ... i could not sit and listen to the whole thing and just jumped to the moevment bits and decided there. Let me know if he does something amazing that i missed.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:55 pm

dspyrido wrote:Willie may have across harsh but the sentiment is correct - i can see things that dont work for me in this video. Now if i was to meet him & let him hit me then i can really say he has or has not got power but on the surface i think he lacks power. Why?

- he steps, stops and throws the arms which halts the momentum and power. Its a split second off but its there.
- his back bows the wrong way which effects the ground line of the power making his attack easier to offbalance.
- his chop or cutting move has his weight dropping and the arm continuing which is again disconnecting loosing momentum.

There might be other points but i gave up watching. I will put a disclaimer ... i could not sit and listen to the whole thing and just jumped to the moevment bits and decided there. Let me know if he does something amazing that i missed.

and your right.
willie

Postby willie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:08 pm

marvin8 wrote:
willie wrote:Thanks. I think I understand your point. Mark says to use small circles in fighting. Because, small circles are more powerful, efficient and faster. Apparently, you disagree with that.
Young people who have an interest, have an opportunity to test themselves, in official matches in Boxing, Sanda, and different Kick Boxing techniques, K1, and in traditional Kung Fu matches. With every victory, respect grows for Taijiquan as a martial art – a realistic fighting art capable of adapting to any kind of match regulation. . . .
I can understand that some readers may think: “But this is not Taijiquan.” However, in my opinion we should concentrate on what Taijiquan is, in its martial application, without worrying about what isn’t Taijiquan.

No, I do agree with him on the small circles, but is not just that either. there is large expansive movement, medium, and small work together seamlessly.

yes I believe the younger generation wants to adapt the art for K1.
I have talked to my teacher about that, he says that while it's good to popularize the art, it may lead the younger guys away from the
real application. I can honestly tell you that the real applications work, but they are extremely hard to acquire. then add in the gloves and the skill
of those guys in K1 and there is just no way they could do it. If they want to compete in k1 they have to learn boxing. hopefully this doesn't lead to
losing the real app's
thanks
Last edited by willie on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

dspyrido wrote:Willie may have across harsh but the sentiment is correct - i can see things that dont work for me in this video. Now if i was to meet him & let him hit me then i can really say he has or has not got power but on the surface i think he lacks power. Why?

dspyrido, thanks for the words of wisdom.

I'll look over your points and watch it again, later. A lot of times that's the main reason I might post something; to get feedback or analysis, not to make a statement or claim something.
Last edited by marvin8 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:10 pm

This guy is a little stilted but his tien kan clips are pretty spot on in their structure
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
I-mon wrote:
willie wrote:another guy talking crap about taiji striking power. he is nothing.

I wish people would just fuck off with comments like this. Why can't you participate in a conversation without insulting someone?

Simon, you are an Australian and a gentleman online and, I assume, in real life, too. Your countrymen on rsf can be a tad bit aggresive and unbending in their opinions. I have clashed with waynehansen, willywrong, finny and dspyrido and recently pointed out to finny that being an asshole is not just an American problem. Willie, like Dan Harden and Mike Sigman, is from the east coast of the USA. They are collectively known as East Coast Assholes. In NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. (remember Crocodile Dundee) no one makes eye contact with strangers or smiles. When Willie makes eye contact with someone they ask, "What the fuck are you looking at?" and he probably responds in kind. That is the main reason Willie and Dan come off the way they do. It really isn't personal. That's why Willie didn't realise he sounded like a dick.

As far as I know, Mike Sigman is from Colorado. I'm from Philadelphia and I have no problem making eye contact with anyone. As far as "East Coast Assholes," well, that's another question.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:55 am

Philadelphia is America's rudest city. Unless you hand them a cheese steak at 3:00 a.m. Then everything is forgiven.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:27 am

How can the City of Brotherly Love be the rudest city? New York gets my vote.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Last edited by Taste of Death on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:50 pm

The thing is, with what you and Dan objects about... is that I think that the vid is from an entuthiastic guy who just wants to show different ways to generate strength. I don't think his goal is to show something to perfection. I don't know if he could do better or not if he showed one method in detail. And also, if you have perfect shenfa/body method in a general and casual demonstration like this, it would mean that you had already come very far in your practice. The art would be his own property and moving with perfect alignment would be second nature. I don't expect that from a person who has less than twenty years of experience. The guy looks too young for such expectations of perfection.

So come on everyone, what exactly do you expect from a young guy in a casual demonstration? Acting like a 60 year old Kung Fu master? ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links