systema & high kicks

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

systema & high kicks

Postby emptycloud on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:26 pm

emptycloud

Re: systema & high kicks

Postby RobP3 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:40 am

Nice demo, thanks for posting
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby emptycloud on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYIJezH4EGY

I seem to be inspired by Vlad's teaching at the mo'. Encouraged by his fluidity..
Last edited by emptycloud on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby Spncr on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:14 pm

I've had the pleasure of kicking Vlad as shown at 0:40 and 2:28 in the OP, I've also got to kick him in the stomach at random as he was doing sit ups, and much harder than was shown in those clips I must add... He really doesn't seem to mind, rather I think he likes it ;)
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Tiga Pukul on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:38 am

What am i watching ? I suppose he doesn't show applications but this sort of a relaxation drill? It seems the kicker is kicking 'on the target' instead of 'through the target'.
With systema i never know what i'm watching, but mostly it seems like drills. Although i like drills shouldn't there also be a way of training applications against serious attacks?
I might be wrong, but just trying to comprehend what i see.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:03 am

Nice drills, except for a couple of times where he makes an unrealistic assumption because of the drill's parameters. E.g. at 1:37 he says "(when) a high kick comes..." and he just bends forward without closing in or moving at all in the horizontal plane. Problem is you can't tell if it's a high kick until after about halfway through the kick, so if he stays in place like that and it happens to be a low kick, he'd get hit with fill force (kidney, thigh, knee, etc.) Got carried away with the drill a bit, happens I guess...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:03 am

Tiga Pukul wrote:What am i watching ? I suppose he doesn't show applications but this sort of a relaxation drill? It seems the kicker is kicking 'on the target' instead of 'through the target'.
With systema i never know what i'm watching, but mostly it seems like drills. Although i like drills shouldn't there also be a way of training applications against serious attacks?
I might be wrong, but just trying to comprehend what i see.

VV is jsut showing some different ideas for working against high kicks. We dont do "application" as such as we have no formal movements. Yep, there are lots of different apsects to training , one of them is freeplay / sparring / testing. In terms of intensity, for a demo people need to be able to see what is going on, plus of course there is the question of not damaging your partner. VV is certainly not shy about contact, see previous post
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Tiga Pukul on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:11 am

Thanks Rob, I already thought that was the case. When I mean 'applications' i don't mean 'techniques' (when A does this, B responds with this technique...), but i mean applied 'solutions' for an attack with a certain amount of intent. I always like systema but lately it seems as if a lot of the videos coming out are too much about soft work, which has it's place, but only when combined with hard work as well.
I understand what you are saying, i guess all styles have that same problem to balance out 'showing things in a clear way on video' and 'showing realistic stuff on a video'. Each has his goal.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 pm

I really really wish the ukes would stop obscuring Vlad's skill with this aiki bunny movement. 'Slow' doesn't have to mean 'completely unrealistic'.
Ian

Postby Ba-men on Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:45 am

Dmitri wrote:Nice drills, except for a couple of times where he makes an unrealistic assumption because of the drill's parameters. E.g. at 1:37 he says "(when) a high kick comes..." and he just bends forward without closing in or moving at all in the horizontal plane. Problem is you can't tell if it's a high kick until after about halfway through the kick, so if he stays in place like that and it happens to be a low kick, he'd get hit with fill force (kidney, thigh, knee, etc.) Got carried away with the drill a bit, happens I guess...

I agree, When I see things like this I ask myself "Is this stuff really doable under pressure?" That' said... I like a lot of what I saw in the vid... A lot of what he's doing I've learned through hard knocks.. I call them dirty tricks or un-sportman like applications (we are talking about fighting and self defense are we not..) We all have had that A-hole when you're sparring and he's trying to take you leg off... Even though you have told him to ratchet it down.... he's still looking to take you to the "Pain BanK". (DB thinks it's cool and going full force and rupturing a knee using what he thinks is a valid sportman like technique "hey it's not my fault you can't block that!..... can you tell I've ecounter this type before.. lol ) Pull these out... and then ask "how does it feel?"... He's going to get pissed and not want to play anymore... he'll say your dirty... These dirty tricks/un-sportman apps... are worth there weight in gold. (for self defense in the sparring ring alone.)

Post by Ian on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:30 pm
I really really wish the ukes would stop obscuring Vlad's skill with this aiki bunny movement. 'Slow' doesn't have to mean 'completely unrealistic'.

I agree .... I find nothing wrong with it.. it's slow so I can see what he's doing/explaining.. Prowess always starts slow with lots and lots of reps.. to commit it internally, targeting the triggers/tells that allow the application.. then you start with the speed and force.. it's the basis of gaining skill.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby emptycloud on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:43 pm

emptycloud

Postby RobP3 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:16 am

Large / small movement

www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji