Interesting Taiji plus some Xing Yi and weapons

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Interesting Taiji plus some Xing Yi and weapons

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:12 am

jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Interesting Taiji plus some Xing Yi and weapons

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:55 pm

That's not Sun style nor is it "Old" Sun style, it's just bullshit history. Sun style was based of Hao Style by way Hao Weichen(?), there is no "Old Sun Style". Pretty athletic though.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby richardg6 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:15 pm

JB
Thanks for posting the videos. Your efforts are much appreciated.
richardg6
Santi

Postby cloudz on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 am

I like Niu family taiji clip, thanks JB
any more info on them/ their taiji would be cool.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Like the Niu Pai style very much. Nice
WongYing
Huajing

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Thank you folks.

I also like the Niu family Taiji very much. It is quite unique and I have not seen it before. Unfortunately I do not have more details about it at the moment.

The Niu family practitioner was a lot better than the 'original Sun' guy, though the latter was not too bad either. I have written some clarifications for the 'Old Sun style' claim in the video description. I have to say that they did make it look more convincing by the Xing Yi stuff they put in that form.

Do subscribe to the channel! I make an effort to share some of the more interesting videos I happen to find on the Chinese video websites once in a while.
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:44 pm

WongYing wrote:Like the Niu Pai style very much. Nice

I love Niu Pai - it's very tasty. Don't have it in China though...
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Man, that cow family taiji has a 50 second opening 'posture'. FOR WHAT?
Ian

Postby cloudz on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:50 am

Ian, it's taiji movement.. and all that involves. It's for training your mind and body in the ways of taiji movement. That's about as simplistic as I can make it.

Generally speaking the opening posture here is more about 'preparation' as I see it, so there's a bunch of things in there he seems to be doing to get things going so to speak; body forces, 'energy work'. To name some.. edit. but mostly he is focusing on doing vertical up and down forces and combining them. The opening in plenty of forms after wuji is up and down, but is usually kept pretty basic and simplistic, here it is very much elaborated on. Towards the end he adds some forward/ back with the hands..

At some point you need to be able to 'know the difference' between the movement principles and the form/ boxing postures. They are not one and the same thing. It's what you're doing with them/in them that is the heart of the matter..

The goal is to gain taiji movement first in fixed shapes/ techniques/ movements, but then to free oneself from fixed techniques and choreography and rely on the principles therein to move freely into any and all shapes and techniques (no fixed technique) according to principles/ methods.

Well at least I can say that's more or less how I do taiji (formwork). From form to 'shadow boxing', this is form and this is the framework.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 am

I have to say that they did make it look more convincing by the Xing Yi stuff they put in that form.

I have honestly no idea what you mean or how you are thinking here. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Bao -

The 'old Sun style' form seems to be newly made up by someone. Read the video description as I have suggested. The person who created this form was invested in claiming it is related to Sun Lutang. Thus, he mixed his Taiji with some Xing Yi influences to make his claim stronger. I found this mixture to be decent enough in terms in its structural appearance to be convincing and make people believe this Taiji was perhaps somehow related to Sun Lutang.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:57 pm

Sun Lutang didn't mix his bagua with xingyi, not xingyi with bagua and despite what Cartmell and other people says, he did absolutely not mix any bagua and xingyi into his tai chi. Everything that looks like xingyi and bagua was already there in the small frame Wu/Hao form he based his tai chi on. His xingyi was xingyi, his bagua was bagua and his tai chi was tai chi. And the clip bears no resemblance what so ever with the Sun Tai Chi form. He called it "Kaihe Huobu Taijiquan". There's no Kaihe and no Huobu there. No, I don't understand how anyone could be fooled by the performance. If you have never practiced his arts is one thing, but he could never fool anyone who understands the Arts of Sun Lutang.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Video Links