EBI 8 full fights

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

EBI 8 full fights

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:25 am

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/ebi-8-wat ... ht-videos/

Eddie Bravo Invitational 8 -

Good to see Telles in there, but Jiujitsu seems to have turned into a game of nothing but leg locks, which makes me a bit sad. :(
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: EBI 8 full fights

Postby Josealb on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:08 am

MMA used to be a game of nothing but Royce pretzel'ing people out of their comfort zones. Then Wanderlei and Sakuraba came in. :)

Stuff evolves on its own, i guess. Once an advantage tips to much into one direction, someone finds a way to tip it over.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:23 am

True, but they also changed the rules to stop that ground dominance from happening - time limits on rounds, standing people back up again for 'no action' on the ground, etc.. - however in BJJ it's the other way around - the current trend is heading towards less and less rules....

- so when you get sub-only, all subs 'legal', less (or no) time limit - it becomes all about heel hooks. If you allowed punches it would be different, but then that's too like MMA and isn't pure grappling anymore....
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Josealb wrote: Then Wanderlei and Sakuraba came in. :) .

and, another one of my favorites. Watch 2:24 - 2:34. so cool.
Last edited by willie on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby fuga on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm

I think it depends on the grappling rule set, Graham.

The Eddie Bravo thing is no gi focused, and I personally find that most finishes (when I am rolling no gi) are with legs and chokes. Hard to get an arm. Too slippery.

I recently attended one of the Fight to Win promotions which focuses more on getting submissions and a large number of fights in the gi. More traditional finishes there: cross choke from mount, bow and arrow choke.

What I'm also hearing from you is that you need to work on leg submission defenses. ;)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:26 am

fuga wrote:
What I'm also hearing from you is that you need to work on leg submission defenses. ;)

Well, who doesn't? ;D And attacks, too!

As an example, I went to a local MMA event last night - they have started to fill out the cards with grappling, K1 and boxing before the MMA to make sure there are enough fights. (I quite like this as an idea actually, as you get a nice build up to the main events and a bit of 'something for everyone'.)

There were 3 grappling matches. The first two were straight out of EBI 8 - just two guys grabbing each others feet and rolling around until eventually one of them taps and the other guy has to limp out of the cage, probably with something torn. Highly technical, but it's not entertaining really... The last jiujitsu match was more like an old school fight - takedown, get position, reversal, reversal back, north south choke to finish. At least I understood what was going on ;D Man, I sound like one of those old guys going "music wasn't like this in my day"....
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Video Links