soft Roy

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: soft Roy

Postby Rabbit on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:13 am

If it's just a training method and semi cooperation, why is the man in the first clip making sex noises when he gently holds the older guys wrist?
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby junglist on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:55 am

Graham,

I'm curious. What do,you have against Dan?
junglist
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:03 am

I don't think derailing the thread further would be in anybody's interests. They'll just lock it.

Also, I have better things to do than talk about him, which is what he seems to want. I'd rather be doing something else thanks.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:29 am

junglist wrote:Graham,

As an impartial observer (not specifically relating to this thread but this kind of outcome in general), what seems to grind some people's gears is when an individual poster on the board calls out other practices as not being the real deal then fails to offer any in depth explanation of their own stuff. Of course they're not obliged too but that combination of events is frustrating none the less.

On top of that some readers would interpret (whether correctly or not, conversations are so much easier face to face!) what they have read previously from the same poster as a claim to having a more authentic/functional/legitimate etc. practice but again, is light on details. I can understand how frustrating this feels and allows arguments to escalate quickly. It used to drive me crazy but I try to walk away from it now.

If you then see a video with flying and screaming Ukes which attracts a lot of cynicism anyway it doesn't take long for things to kick off. I think if we were looking at videos of soft work and the poster is super humble and doesn't tell stories about breaking bones etc. with no videos of harder work to back it up, then it may not get so crazy and it can be enjoyed for what it is. We all understand it's not fighting, that doesn't need to be repeated but sometimes that is contradicted by cries of pain and facial gymnastics by the recipients of techniques.

Anyway, my 2c. No comment on this thread specifically, I haven't even read/watched it. It just appears to be what's going on here as I used to go down that rabbit hole but try and stop myself now. It seems to be bringing down an otherwise amazing internet resource which has been a refuge for me over many a tough year. I'm sure everybody posting here are great guys/girls but the written word on the internet is a tricky beast to say the least! :)
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby junglist on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:31 am

northern_mantis wrote:
junglist wrote:Graham,

As an impartial observer (not specifically relating to this thread but this kind of outcome in general), what seems to grind some people's gears is when an individual poster on the board calls out other practices as not being the real deal then fails to offer any in depth explanation of their own stuff. Of course they're not obliged too but that combination of events is frustrating none the less.

On top of that some readers would interpret (whether correctly or not, conversations are so much easier face to face!) what they have read previously from the same poster as a claim to having a more authentic/functional/legitimate etc. practice but again, is light on details. I can understand how frustrating this feels and allows arguments to escalate quickly. It used to drive me crazy but I try to walk away from it now.

If you then see a video with flying and screaming Ukes which attracts a lot of cynicism anyway it doesn't take long for things to kick off. I think if we were looking at videos of soft work and the poster is super humble and doesn't tell stories about breaking bones etc. with no videos of harder work to back it up, then it may not get so crazy and it can be enjoyed for what it is. We all understand it's not fighting, that doesn't need to be repeated but sometimes that is contradicted by cries of pain and facial gymnastics by the recipients of techniques.

Anyway, my 2c. No comment on this thread specifically, I haven't even read/watched it. It just appears to be what's going on here as I used to go down that rabbit hole but try and stop myself now. It seems to be bringing down an otherwise amazing internet resource which has been a refuge for me over many a tough year. I'm sure everybody posting here are great guys/girls but the written word on the internet is a tricky beast to say the least! :)

I'm not very skeptical towards Dan, I guess. I haven't met him but there are people who I respect as martial artists who say that he's the best martial artist they've ever met. So when he says something sucks I don't perceive the event as some nameless troll trying to get some attention.

Martial artists are not perfect people. With that in consideration, I try not to disrespect so as to not burn bridges, unless they are complete dickheads. So when someone is vetted (in both skill and being a nice teacher), then I will take the Internet persona with a grain of salt and respect anyway. Why burn bridges and miss the opportunity in meeting possibly the best martial artist I will ever meet because of the way he chooses to comment on videos, not share information about his method, and shows a video in which he is doing techniques within the framework of an art form? I don't get it.
junglist
Anjing

Postby northern_mantis on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:53 am

That seems like a reasonable way to go about things. It's difficult when there's a correlation between people being held in the highest esteem not coming across great online, do you differentiate between the real person and the interwebs person or not. It makes more sense to hold yourself to higher standards online than in real life as it's public and there forever potentially though people tend to do the opposite.

I've been watching too much Dark Mirror on Netflix so my whole view of that issue is all over the place at the moment!
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Patrick on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:30 am

I'm not very skeptical towards Dan, I guess. I haven't met him but there are people who I respect as martial artists who say that he's the best martial artist they've ever met. So when he says something sucks I don't perceive the event as some nameless troll trying to get some attention.

With all due respect...I think many here have met so called masters whom other persons said they are the real deal, and in actuality they were "okay" or "meh" . Or simply not offering what one was looking for in the first place. This argument is pointless.
So Grahams critique seems valid. Just because many here have met Dan and think he has something, does not makes Graham argument less valid.
Last edited by Patrick on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 am

I would be vary wary of a teacher who claimed to have 'hospitalised two dozen people'
What kind of teacher does that?
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby xxxxx on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:34 am

The dialogue between Graham and Bodywork was removed to the Circular File. Since other posters seem unable to stay on topic with this thread, it will be locked.
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Video Links