soft Roy

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

soft Roy

Postby emptycloud on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:01 am

Last edited by emptycloud on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Re: soft

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 am

nice clip,,
can you do what is shown?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 am

total b.s.
Last edited by willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Interloper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:24 am

Not B.S.
Aiki, and hakkei (fajin).
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:39 am

Interloper wrote:Not B.S.

Not the moves, The reaction.
bs
Last edited by willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Interloper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:05 am

willie wrote:
Interloper wrote:Not B.S.

Not the moves, The reaction.
bs

You can get that reaction from a person who doesn't have an internally-trained body. They are all stiff and rebound with the force, so the hakkei/fajin sends them flying. Also... When Roy does that aiki-sage, he is turning-twisting his uke's radius and ulna with compressive force... mucho pain!
Last edited by Interloper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:55 am

Does the guy doing the grabbing of the wrists have some sort of medical condition where after he grabs a hold of something he gets a muscle spasm or something that cramps up his fists and he can't let go?

That is... uncanny.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:32 am

D_Glenn wrote:Does the guy doing the grabbing of the wrists have some sort of medical condition where after he grabs a hold of something he gets a muscle spasm or something that cramps up his fists and he can't let go?

That is... uncanny.

There's a clear and direct intention to grab and hold/squeeze; it is simply part of the demo, if I'm not mistaken.

(Plus, it's not like you haven't seen this in CIMA...)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Well, the demo wouldn't work unless he held on - what fun would that be?
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Its just an example of "sticking" its not about being able to let go "he cant"
or having a hard grip.."the amount of strength used in the grip doesn't matter" its easy to tell
a student to use their strength then to say use your "intent" in most cases one must use or have intent in order to
use their strength,,,for most they wouldnt understand or be able to do it....with out using their strength.

things get a little different when one learns to use ones intent with out "tension or strength"

the student does have to have a clear "intent" which allows the teacher to show something in a clear way without having
to hurt the student or do something that would not be understood....

Sticking means to lift up high.
Adhering means to stay and be attached.
Connecting means to let go of yourself and not separate from the opponent.
Following means to follow him wherever he goes.
If you want to move with awareness and yet you do not understand sticking, adhering, connecting, and following, it will be beyond your reach, for it is a very subtle skill.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... i-fa-shuo/

disclaimer: this is from my perspective, and yes I can do similar things according to my own level,
and have met others who can do or cause the same reactions as shown in a taiji setting.
Those who practice the style in the clip might have a different take on
what is shown...only sharing some thoughts here.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:16 pm

He is "sticking" by compressing downward into uke's center of mass through his structure. In CIMA, think of directing "peng fullness" slowly and steadily through the partner's structure while at the same time adding a bit of spiralling motion (via the "shape" of his hands) to twist the partner's radius and ulna while he continues to "feed" in and down to the center of mass.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Interloper wrote:He is "sticking" by compressing downward into uke's center of mass through his structure. In CIMA, think of directing "peng fullness" slowly and steadily through the partner's structure while at the same time adding a bit of spiralling motion (via the "shape" of his hands) to twist the partner's radius and ulna while he continues to "feed" in and down to the center of mass.

His structure is not right and I would just let go.

I have forgotten what a stiff feels like, so I will give you that part. Your explanation seems valid also.

Windwalkers argument also has some validity, He states that it is a demo and it's a way of showing something without
having to injure. I'll go along with that part.
willie

Postby Interloper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Willie,
Yes, I agree with you that this will not work on a person with internal structure. I know because I have experienced it first-hand on people who do this stuff and cannot make it work on me. Also, I can "do this stuff"... and if I were to try it myself on someone with good internal training, I would have to do something to cause them to temporarily lose their internal connections (there are a number of ways) in order to make it work... and it relates directly to what Windwalker said about showing something without having to injure.

But that in no way detracts from the validity of what is being shown in the video. It is a real cause-and-effect. People just have to realize that it has nothing to do with combat or martial application; rather, the body method used to create the effect can be applied to combat/martial situations with the proper training and working it under duress.
Last edited by Interloper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Interloper wrote: But that in no way detracts from the validity of what is being shown in the video. It is a real cause-and-effect. People just have to realize that it has nothing to do with combat or martial application; rather, the body method used to create the effect can be applied to combat/martial situations with the proper training and working it under duress.

I think I like your attitude. You really know what your talking about.
This is just a basic tai chi opening move.

There is a big difference between good and real good.
Can you point out to me what is wrong with the structure?
And not just that, But what is wrong with the entire scenario?

Or How about Charles, Graham, Bao, or anyone else. feel free...jump right in.

Time to earn the paycheck.
Last edited by willie on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willie

Postby JoeWood on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 pm

willie wrote:
Interloper wrote: But that in no way detracts from the validity of what is being shown in the video. It is a real cause-and-effect. People just have to realize that it has nothing to do with combat or martial application; rather, the body method used to create the effect can be applied to combat/martial situations with the proper training and working it under duress.

I think I like your attitude. You really know what your talking about.
This is just a basic tai chi opening move.

There is a big difference between good and real good.
Can you point out to me what is wrong with the structure?
And not just that, But what is wrong with the entire scenario?

Or How about Charles, Graham, Bao, or anyone else. feel free...jump right in.

Time to earn the paycheck.

It looks to me like he is overextending into his opponent. I can see his heel pop up a couple of times.
JoeWood
Anjing

Next

Return to Video Links