Rob John and Brian from Aunkai demonstrating" passive skill"

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Rob John and Brian from Aunkai demonstrating" passive skill"

Postby junglist on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:22 pm

I would take those sparring videos with a grain of salt. I would only guess that the purpose of the sparring sessions (at least the ones shown on video) was to maintain requirements (that is, keeping balanced, aligned, etc.) during movement and having someone come at you.
junglist
Anjing

Postby junglist on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:27 pm

In any case, I posted the video. I thought it was interesting in the sense that it was an easy foot in the door for skills in unbalancing, softness, hardness, non-telegraphed striking, relaxed power, etc.--skills that we are after in IMA.
junglist
Anjing

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Can we stop talking about the component parts, and focus on the end result instead?

You can't dress up ...... some things ...... no matter how many pretty buzzwords you use.

Even if they're just working on specific spars to get specific concepts ... it's still ... :-X

Who has more skill - those guys, or these kids?

Ian

Postby junglist on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Well in that case, would you fault McGregor for playing "touch butt" with Ido Portal? or Condit working with Movnat? They're focusing on "component" parts there and not the end result (fighting).
junglist
Anjing

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 am

Yeah... no point for me to argue with you.

Knock yourself out. Keep looking for the hidden meaning in those sparring vids, keep practicing in ways that lead to those results.

Ian

Postby junglist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:21 am

Wtf?

Those are legit questions. Do you have a problem with focusing on components? If so, then will you criticize what top level fighters like Condit and McGregor are doing? Can you explain why it's stupid to focus on the the components like they do? Should we focus on full-blast sparring without regard for components? Should we abandon "movement" stuff and getting into archer stances in the woods and just fight? I'm seriously interested in your answer.
Last edited by junglist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
junglist
Anjing

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:33 am

I'm not against training components ::)

The proof is in the pudding. I'm against training components that lead to those results... and trying to make excuses for the minutiae when you've already seen the end product.
Ian

Postby junglist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:06 am

Um, that's not the end product and those are not the results. I already mentioned what they're doing and what they are focusing on. So you are making the mistake of seeing the components as the results.

And, Brian just recently started sparring.
junglist
Anjing

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:29 am

Knock yourself out. Keep looking for the hidden meaning in those sparring vids, keep practicing in ways that lead to those results.
Last edited by Ian on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby junglist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 am

In any case, if any of you guys have any foot in the door exercises like this, please post some suggestions and maybe even videos! Interesting to see what other people are doing.
junglist
Anjing

Postby dspyrido on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:47 pm

junglist wrote:Well in that case, would you fault McGregor for playing "touch butt" with Ido Portal? or Condit working with Movnat? They're focusing on "component" parts there and not the end result (fighting).

Hell yeah I would fault them for playing games vs. getting on with it.

I will pick out McGregors stuff. A lot of his videos are publicity stunts but if you want a correlation he also lost his first fight to diaz around the time when he & ido did their little buddy videos. But why stop at butt touching? Why not also include "component training" where he played with the Mountain? Or how about the video when he laughs at Rhonda's punching ability? Should we justify this as being legitimate training when even he states he trains hours and hours of gruelling exercises striking pads, grappling, cardio, sparring etc. These other videos are just plain incidental.

There's good training and bad training. What these guys do is not sparring. I would have just ignored it as silly but poking around on youtube they have several other videos they call sparring.

Perhaps they are having fun to mess with us by calling it sparring. Perhaps behind closed doors they get serious. A part of me likes to think this is an elaborate hoax.

Oh and even these little midgets apply a better "yi" into their training:

Last edited by dspyrido on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby syruptragedy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but so far I've read that the internal sparring videos are bad, yet Muay Thai is good. I thought Muay Thai wasn't "internal?"
Last edited by syruptragedy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syruptragedy
Santi

Postby junglist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:52 pm

dspyrido wrote:
junglist wrote:Well in that case, would you fault McGregor for playing "touch butt" with Ido Portal? or Condit working with Movnat? They're focusing on "component" parts there and not the end result (fighting).

Hell yeah I would fault them for playing games vs. getting on with it.

I will pick out McGregors stuff. A lot of his videos are publicity stunts but if you want a correlation he also lost his first fight to diaz around the time when he & ido did their little buddy videos. But why stop at butt touching? Why not also include "component training" where he played with the Mountain? Or how about the video when he laughs at Rhonda's punching ability? Should we justify this as being legitimate training when even he states he trains hours and hours of gruelling exercises striking pads, grappling, cardio, sparring etc. These other videos are just plain incidental.

There's good training and bad training. What these guys do is not sparring. I would have just ignored it as silly but poking around on youtube they have several other videos they call sparring.

Perhaps they are having fun to mess with us by calling it sparring. Perhaps behind closed doors they get serious. A part of me likes to think this is an elaborate hoax.

Oh and even these little midgets apply a better "yi" into their training:

Thank you for being honest.

He also worked with Portal during his fight with Aldo, will you credit his work for Portal? He also worked with him during Diaz 2--will you give Portal his credit? If you want to make a correlation then you at least need to be consistent. Also, Condit works extensively with Movnat. Michael Venom Page with Portal as well. These guys are monster fighters. What problems do you have with them working components? I really want to hear your criticism. If you were their coach, what would you tell them to do instead of playing with pool noodles and ballerina stuff and archer stances all that nonsense? And what would be your analysis to them? I want to hear this stuff because hey you might be right.

"There's good training and bad training. What these guys do is not sparring. I would have just ignored it as silly but poking around on youtube they have several other videos they call sparring.". It's not sparring. You're right. Bad training? You would have to,explain why. And Rob has engaged in "hard sparring". Im not sure about Brian.
junglist
Anjing

Postby junglist on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:56 pm

syruptragedy wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but so far I've read that the internal sparring videos are bad, yet Muay Thai is good. I thought Muay Thai wasn't "internal?"

Many people here, since not finding what they were looking for in CMA, have given up on CMA and moved on to BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA and will say that they found what they were looking for in those systems. In other words, BJJ/Muay Thai etc. are internal (with their focus on leverage, alignment, etc.) but more dynamically so.
junglist
Anjing

Postby syruptragedy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:10 am

junglist wrote:Many people here, since not finding what they were looking for in CMA, have given up on CMA and moved on to BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA and will say that they found what they were looking for in those systems. In other words, BJJ/Muay Thai etc. are internal (with their focus on leverage, alignment, etc.) but more dynamically so.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still kind of confused though...martial arts about about striking and grappling, right? What are people "looking for" beyond that?
syruptragedy
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links