Rob John and Brian from Aunkai demonstrating" passive skill"

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Rob John and Brian from Aunkai demonstrating" passive skill"

Postby jaime_g on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:41 am

Sorry, but I dont buy that.

What kind of attribute does develop diving into a guillotine?

If it was an attribute development drill I would expect to see things like a neck really hard to bend, a spine able to rise and explode from the closed guillotine, some ways to release or withstand the pressure of the choke...Internal work can demonstrate all of that without using any counter or technical application. That would be attribute development training.

It would be much more honest to say that Brian is just a beginner and Rob is taking it easy with other beginners that are starting to do sparring.
Last edited by jaime_g on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby junglist on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:06 am

Hey Jaime,

Good points to bring up. I would agree with you and that's the kind of work I like to engage in. And sounds like you get your ideas from Dan lol.

As far as the videos go, Rob said they are attribution development drills, with a focus on keeping alignment/balanced while on the move or striking with a person doing the same thing back. The idea is how do you keep all these requirements on the move while another person is trying to hit you back? You can disagree with the process if you want. I personally would want fundamental boxing training, embed bodyskill through shadow boxing, and take it for a whirl in sparring.

And you are right too--Brian is a beginner and Rob is just playing around for the most part.
Last edited by junglist on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
junglist
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:12 am

Having touched hands with Rob for a few minutes on one occasion -- he's got a decent skill, at least at standup grappling, not sure what's taking place in the clips but he's definitely not sparring "seriously" there. Just thought I'd throw this in here, FWIW.
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Gus Mueller on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:36 am

They "kick" if you want to call it that, but with no Jhoon Rhee Kick Mitts on their feet. Their hands are all gloved up but neither fellow is in danger of getting punched so I'm like "WHAT?". The two guys in the background were a nice touch, but this just looks like cosplay. I must be missing the super secret details.

Or it could all be nonsense, but that's impossible, right? But seriously, why are they wearing gloves?
Gus Mueller

Postby hl1978 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:12 am

The fact that so many are focused on a "sparring video" (where its pretty obvious at the very least that they are going really slowly..., hmm why might they want to be going slowly?), and not discussing whether or not the principle being shown in the first video, let alone whether any internal type principles are being shown at all in either video indicates precisely the level of understanding going on. Instead people are latching on to what they know which is what makes it all the more hilarious on an internal martial arts forum.

I personally wouldn't want to put such ignorance on display, the internet doesn't forget you know....

Has anyone even tried the first video? Why does it work, or are they just faking their reactions to one another? Is it easier to use this aid than other approaches?
hl1978
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:09 am

hl1978 wrote:The fact that so many are focused on a "sparring video" (where its pretty obvious at the very least that they are going really slowly..., hmm why might they want to be going slowly?), and not discussing whether or not the principle being shown in the first video, let alone whether any internal type principles are being shown at all in either video indicates precisely the level of understanding going on. Instead people are latching on to what they know which is what makes it all the more hilarious on an internal martial arts forum.

I personally wouldn't want to put such ignorance on display, the internet doesn't forget you know....

Has anyone even tried the first video? Why does it work, or are they just faking their reactions to one another? Is it easier to use this aid than other approaches?

I like the idea of holding the bottle. I usually use projection perpendicular to the direction of force, but with a tangible aid like that it can make it easier to get for folks who haven't got the feeling yet. I'm going to try it today with my student and see how it works.

Edit: Didn't seem to help him much. Projecting was easier for him to grasp.

It's hard to honestly demo Peng, it's too easy to amp up the juice when the student is resisting effectively with poor mechanics, present a good structure for them to push against with "bad structure" and give them a bad structure to push against with their "good structure" you just showed them. No matter how correct or incorrect the student's structure is, the instructor's body method should be presenting more resistance than the student can deal with and routing it effectively automatically, if their training is worth a shit. No matter what, any effect the student observes is a gimme from the instructor, so using the instructor as the mass being moved like this is problematic. The way the guy in the rear reinforced his stance when she was supposed to fail and let himself be moved when she was supposed to succeed is a perfect example.

It can be instructive and motivational, but it's just not quite honest.

Pushing a refrigerator is a good demo, you can't fake that. Dumb mass doesn't play along.

I'm also not a fan of the faux conversational style "That's a good question, Rob". I get it, but I don't really care for that kind of pretense.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links