Rigan Machado on Martin Wheeler Systema

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Rigan Machado on Martin Wheeler Systema

Postby junglist on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:04 am

Prof. Machado saying how impressed he was when MW went up against heavyweight fighters that competed in the UFC and basically saying how effective Systema is to the point where he sends 70 % of his students to train in Systema in order for them to improve their BJJ. Every time a BJJ nut hugger will say Systema is t3h g4y or t3h f4k3 I will show them this video and say "unless you are better than Rigan Machado in BJJ, shut your mouth about Systema is fake!"

To be fair though, MW is a deeply intuitive and analytical guy that can glean principles, analyze them, and apply them. Which makes him such a good Systema instructor. If it were a sub-par instructor who didn't have the same level of perception MW has teaching in LA, Rigan prolly wouldn't be vouching for him. I read somewhere that Vlad said that MW "understood" Systema in two weeks.

Henry Akins also vouched the hell out of Martin Wheeler after training with him.

P.s.--how do you embed videos here?

https://youtu.be/bqa7ToilOAc
Last edited by junglist on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
junglist
Anjing

Re: Rigan Machado on Martin Wheeler Systema

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:55 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:11 am

"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Gus Mueller on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:21 am

Am I a bad person for thinking that video with Dan Inosanto looks super fake?
Gus Mueller

Postby RobP3 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 am

Gus Mueller wrote:Am I a bad person for thinking that video with Dan Inosanto looks super fake?

Seriously!?

https://www.facebook.com/wheelersystema/videos/10153059688805823/
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby junglist on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Lol at those people on reddit. What a bunch of idiots.
junglist
Anjing

Postby RobP3 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:47 am

You can't blame people for questioning odd looking youtube clips. That aside - I trained with Vladimir in the UK last weekend. There were 160 people in attendance, many of them experienced people or instructors in their own right.

This year in particular we have had an influx of instructors from either styles coming to train at our club. One of our guys is teaching a BJJ lad who says Systema training helped a lot with his breathing and movement in his last competition.

On the OP - Martin is very good, but would be interesting to see what those guys make of Vladimir if / when they meet him
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:54 am

LOl - I don't think Vlad would fit with the Beverly Hills vibe and Hollywood actors these guys all have in common ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby junglist on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:55 am

I don't train in Systema anymore but I see Systema as similar to an internal system:' it develops attributes. And it deals with an attribute that is really important: fear (I would say love is the most important but that's another topic). A skill in which we can deal with fear gets really close to the heart of true martial arts and the founders of Systema are the only martial artists in the world (in my opinion, there might be others) actually strive to develop this attribute in exploring the intricacies of movement, posture, breathing, and relaxation. If you look at the sources, the Systema instructors go into amazing depths in regards to this attribute. Of course there is a top down approach and instructors will say faith in God is the ultimate to eradicating fear and that this will express itself in how one breaths, moves, relaxes, and stands but bottom up approach in which they approach principle through these physical activities (I am for both).

So yeah, a BJJ guy is human and deals with fear--I'd say he doesn't deal with fear management in a typical BJJ class, at least not in the way Systema instructors do. And if he learned to deal with fear, he'd have better movement, breathing, posture, and relaxation and thus help his BJJ. But I have a feeling many would be missing the point and learn how to deal with the fear (I think many would learn not fear management but the "branches and leaves"--the breathing, posture, movement, and relaxation stuff) in order to improve one's BJJ.

Also, I've met MMA/BJJ guys at Club Vlad and know that old school BJJ guys like Steve Maxwell met Vlad and have come to the conclusion that it is those that haven't met Vlad that think Vlad is a charlatan and is not skilled. I think anybody that has made it their business to deal with fear and express that through martial art (movement, breathing, posture, and relaxation) is a dangerous, dangerous person.
Last edited by junglist on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
junglist
Anjing

Return to Video Links