Top 10 Martial Arts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Top 10 Martial Arts

Postby marvin8 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 am

windwalker wrote:I would imagin that whether one had any training or not it would still apply, the fact that one has had some type of training tends to work against them and might cause people to hold them to a higher standard then would be otherwise applied.

The following supports what you and Bao mentioned (not sure of original source):
Research has failed to reveal any statutory, regulatory or other requirement that boxers -- or anyone skilled in martial arts -- "register" their hands or any other body part as "lethal weapons" in the U.S., UKoGBaNI, Canada, or any other common law nation. However, a criminal defendant's experience in boxing, karate, or other forms of hand-to-hand combat may be relevant to determining various legal issues.

First, in the United States at least, the question of whether hands (or other body parts) of a boxer, martial artist or any other person even qualifies as a "deadly" or "lethal" weapon depends largely upon how "deadly weapon," "lethal weapon," or "deadly force" is defined (usually by statute, which is then interpreted by the courts). _See,_ _e.g.,_ Vitauts M. Gulbis, "Parts of the Human Body, Other Than Feet, as Deadly or Dangerous Weapons for Purposes of Statutes Aggravating Offenses Such as Assault and Robbery," 8 A.L.R.4th 1268 (1981 and supplements); Christpher Vaeth, "Kicking as Aggravated Assault, or Assault With Dangerous or Deadly Weapon," 19 A.L.R.5th 823 (1995 and supplements). Most statutes have been interpreted to require an object external to the human body before a "deadly weapon" element can be met. For example, in _Minnesota v. Bastin_, 572 N.W.2d 281 (Minn. 1997), the Minnesota Supreme Court overruled the trial court's conclusion that the left fist of the defendant, a former licensed professional prize fighter, was a "deadly weapon."

Some courts in the United States have concluded, however, that a criminal defendant's experience in boxing or martial arts should be considered when deciding whether s/he possessed a required intent to cause harm. For instance, in _Trujillo v. State_, 750 P.2d 1334 (Wyo. 1988), the Wyoming Supreme Court found that there was sufficient evidence to support the defendant's conviction for aggravated assault after he punched someone in the head. His history as a trained boxer was one bit of evidence supporting the jury's findings on his mental state. Likewise, in _In the Matter of the Welfare of D.S.F._, 416 N.W.2d 772 (Minn. App. 1988), the Minnesota Court of Appeals held that there was sufficient evidence to conclude that the actions of the defendant, who had "substantial experience in karate," were sufficient to demonstrate his knowledge that he was hitting the victim with sufficient force to break the victim's jaw.

Similarly, a criminal defendant's boxing or martial arts experience may be relevant to determining the validity of a self-defense claim.
For instance, in _Idaho v. Babbit_, 120 Idaho 337, 815 P.2d 1077 (Idaho App. 1991), the defendant shot the victim and claimed self-defense. The trial court admitted evidence regarding the defendant's past training and experience as a boxer, concluding that it was relevant to a determination of whether the defendant truly believed it was necessary to shoot the victim in order to protect himself and others. The Idaho Court of Appeals affirmed.

Documented: A criminal defendant's experience in boxing or the martial arts may be relevant to deciding whether the elements of a criminal offense have been proven. "

An article discussing some of this topic, Self-Defense and the Law
A Roundtable Interview
, from https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/sel ... nd-the-law:
Steven Graff Levine has specialized in California state criminal law for more than 23 years. He was a Los Angeles County district attorney for 13 years, a staff lawyer for the California Supreme Court for three years, and now has an ongoing criminal law defense practice to help those in need of legal assistance in all types of criminal matters. . . .

Sam Harris: Does anything change about a person’s claim to self-defense if he has a 20-year background in the martial arts?

Steven Levine: If someone is highly trained in a martial art, he will probably have a much better sense of when to fight and know how to defend himself quickly. To the extent that you, as a martial artist, can convince the responding officer that you were in real peril, I don’t think anybody is going to begrudge you having that background and defending yourself. But what exactly did you do? That’s still the question. Did you resort to deadly force immediately? Did you break the guy’s arm in three places? If your assailant just walks away with a bruise on his cheek, no one is going to care that you hit him. While throwing a punch is generally considered a misdemeanor, it is a result-oriented crime, meaning that the same act can be a misdemeanor or, like my client above, a state prison felony case. A battery shouldn’t necessarily be result-oriented, but it is. Generally speaking, everything depends on the result of whatever actions you took to defend yourself.

Rory Miller: Steve, you already pointed out that “great bodily harm” can be defined very differently (two bruises under the eye versus Georgia Code § 12-5-53, where serious bodily injury means “bodily injury which involves a substantial risk of death, unconsciousness, extreme physical pain, protracted and obvious disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty”). How much does intent play into it? I’ve seen policies that define deadly force as “that force in which death or great bodily harm is likely/intended/foreseeable/etc.” How little or profoundly does the wording of local statute change self-defense law?

Steven Levine: GBI in California is particularly broad: For example, a cut lip can be GBI, a broken bone of any kind, a bruise under the eye, and DAs have no qualms about alleging what to common sense seems like a minor injury as GBI. But the basic fact is that if you cause serious injury to your assailant in the course of defending yourself—if you stab or shoot him, for instance—your actions are going to be heavily scrutinized, and the DAs will err on the side of caution. This means that they will at least file the case, and you are going to find yourself hiring a lawyer. Then you will have to worry whether you have a good lawyer or a bad lawyer—but you’ll need a lawyer who you trust to get you through this. . . .
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:12 am

marvin8 wrote:
windwalker wrote:I would imagin that whether one had any training or not it would still apply, the fact that one has had some type of training tends to work against them and might cause people to hold them to a higher standard then would be otherwise applied.

The following supports what you and Bao mentioned (not sure of original source):
Research has failed to reveal any statutory, regulatory or other requirement that boxers -- or anyone skilled in martial arts -- "register" their hands or any other body part as "lethal weapons" in the U.S., UKoGBaNI, Canada, or any other common law nation. However, a criminal defendant's experience in boxing, karate, or other forms of hand-to-hand combat may be relevant to determining various legal issues.

First, in the United States at least, the question of whether hands (or other body parts) of a boxer, martial artist or any other person even qualifies as a "deadly" or "lethal" weapon depends largely upon how "deadly weapon," "lethal weapon," or "deadly force" is defined (usually by statute, which is then interpreted by the courts). _See,_ _e.g.,_ Vitauts M. Gulbis, "Parts of the Human Body, Other Than Feet, as Deadly or Dangerous Weapons for Purposes of Statutes Aggravating Offenses Such as Assault and Robbery," 8 A.L.R.4th 1268 (1981 and supplements); Christpher Vaeth, "Kicking as Aggravated Assault, or Assault With Dangerous or Deadly Weapon," 19 A.L.R.5th 823 (1995 and supplements). Most statutes have been interpreted to require an object external to the human body before a "deadly weapon" element can be met. For example, in _Minnesota v. Bastin_, 572 N.W.2d 281 (Minn. 1997), the Minnesota Supreme Court overruled the trial court's conclusion that the left fist of the defendant, a former licensed professional prize fighter, was a "deadly weapon."

Some courts in the United States have concluded, however, that a criminal defendant's experience in boxing or martial arts should be considered when deciding whether s/he possessed a required intent to cause harm. For instance, in _Trujillo v. State_, 750 P.2d 1334 (Wyo. 1988), the Wyoming Supreme Court found that there was sufficient evidence to support the defendant's conviction for aggravated assault after he punched someone in the head. His history as a trained boxer was one bit of evidence supporting the jury's findings on his mental state. Likewise, in _In the Matter of the Welfare of D.S.F._, 416 N.W.2d 772 (Minn. App. 1988), the Minnesota Court of Appeals held that there was sufficient evidence to conclude that the actions of the defendant, who had "substantial experience in karate," were sufficient to demonstrate his knowledge that he was hitting the victim with sufficient force to break the victim's jaw.

Similarly, a criminal defendant's boxing or martial arts experience may be relevant to determining the validity of a self-defense claim.
For instance, in _Idaho v. Babbit_, 120 Idaho 337, 815 P.2d 1077 (Idaho App. 1991), the defendant shot the victim and claimed self-defense. The trial court admitted evidence regarding the defendant's past training and experience as a boxer, concluding that it was relevant to a determination of whether the defendant truly believed it was necessary to shoot the victim in order to protect himself and others. The Idaho Court of Appeals affirmed.

Documented: A criminal defendant's experience in boxing or the martial arts may be relevant to deciding whether the elements of a criminal offense have been proven. "

An article discussing some of this topic, Self-Defense and the Law
A Roundtable Interview
, from https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/sel ... nd-the-law:
Steven Graff Levine has specialized in California state criminal law for more than 23 years. He was a Los Angeles County district attorney for 13 years, a staff lawyer for the California Supreme Court for three years, and now has an ongoing criminal law defense practice to help those in need of legal assistance in all types of criminal matters. . . .

Sam Harris: Does anything change about a person’s claim to self-defense if he has a 20-year background in the martial arts?

Steven Levine: If someone is highly trained in a martial art, he will probably have a much better sense of when to fight and know how to defend himself quickly. To the extent that you, as a martial artist, can convince the responding officer that you were in real peril, I don’t think anybody is going to begrudge you having that background and defending yourself. But what exactly did you do? That’s still the question. Did you resort to deadly force immediately? Did you break the guy’s arm in three places? If your assailant just walks away with a bruise on his cheek, no one is going to care that you hit him. While throwing a punch is generally considered a misdemeanor, it is a result-oriented crime, meaning that the same act can be a misdemeanor or, like my client above, a state prison felony case. A battery shouldn’t necessarily be result-oriented, but it is. Generally speaking, everything depends on the result of whatever actions you took to defend yourself.

Rory Miller: Steve, you already pointed out that “great bodily harm” can be defined very differently (two bruises under the eye versus Georgia Code § 12-5-53, where serious bodily injury means “bodily injury which involves a substantial risk of death, unconsciousness, extreme physical pain, protracted and obvious disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty”). How much does intent play into it? I’ve seen policies that define deadly force as “that force in which death or great bodily harm is likely/intended/foreseeable/etc.” How little or profoundly does the wording of local statute change self-defense law?

Steven Levine: GBI in California is particularly broad: For example, a cut lip can be GBI, a broken bone of any kind, a bruise under the eye, and DAs have no qualms about alleging what to common sense seems like a minor injury as GBI. But the basic fact is that if you cause serious injury to your assailant in the course of defending yourself—if you stab or shoot him, for instance—your actions are going to be heavily scrutinized, and the DAs will err on the side of caution. This means that they will at least file the case, and you are going to find yourself hiring a lawyer. Then you will have to worry whether you have a good lawyer or a bad lawyer—but you’ll need a lawyer who you trust to get you through this. . . .

This is why you should never use the five finger exploding heart death technique, and instead use the 48 hour exploding bowel technique. Much harder to trace!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Finny on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:34 pm

windwalker wrote:
why ask for something then attempt to dismiss the answer ?

A teacher I had in Korea, got a call in Korea from a US lawyer asking about his clients training with him.
Apparently the guy got in some trouble his back ground in CMA was being used against him.

If one is a pro boxer for example and in an altercation what one does or has
practiced will be taken into account.

I asked because Bao was discussing several different concepts and conflating them to further his argument. I was wondering if he actually knew the state of US legal opinion, or was just repeating a common urban myth.

I didn't attempt to dismiss the answer - in legal terms, finding one local court case where a minor judge has mentioned something similar is not at all authoritative. But what Marvin found is interesting - it seems to support what I said:

To the extent that you, as a martial artist, can convince the responding officer that you were in real peril, I don’t think anybody is going to begrudge you having that background and defending yourself. But what exactly did you do? That’s still the question.

Generally speaking, everything depends on the result of whatever actions you took to defend yourself.

One's actions are what matters, by way of indicating intent. Background can be taken into account of course - a six and a half foot man in his twenties 'defending himself' will be looked at differently than a sixty year old.

I'll certainly look into it further.

But to return to the actual point - in my first post on this thread I tried to point to the obvious disconnect between one's physical ability and the historical claims of an art.

It doesn't matter who kills who with what five point palm exploding heart technique - the reality of modern 'ninjutsu' is that it was NOT 'designed for war'. It was invented recently by an old man who by all accounts was at one point rather skilled. Ninjutsu techniques historically have nothing to do with fighting, they were espionage/reconnaissance techniques.

Oh and thanks Willie - another cryptic, nonsensical condescending post from you certainly makes your case. Have fun talking to yourself in your corner.
Last edited by Finny on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:38 pm

I think the main point for most situations would be that through MA training one would or should know either how to avoid, defuse, or mitigate
any type of action that one might themselves in or feel forced to take....As opposed to some one acting with no "training" responding in what some might consider a normal way.

The law is kind of odd, unless one knows or is aware of it,
what might be considered normal or common sense might not be.

Used to work in a job that required the use of firearms. Might surprise people about the when, where, why one can shoot or not
even to how the weapon is holstered there are laws concerning hand placement pertaining to intent of use or not..
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Finny wrote:
windwalker wrote:
why ask for something then attempt to dismiss the answer ?

A teacher I had in Korea, got a call in Korea from a US lawyer asking about his clients training with him.
Apparently the guy got in some trouble his back ground in CMA was being used against him.

If one is a pro boxer for example and in an altercation what one does or has
practiced will be taken into account.

I asked because Bao was discussing several different concepts and conflating them to further his argument. I was wondering if he actually knew the state of US legal opinion, or was just repeating a common urban myth.

I didn't attempt to dismiss the answer - in legal terms, finding one local court case where a minor judge has mentioned something similar is not at all authoritative. But what Marvin found is interesting. I'll certainly look into it further.

But to return to the actual point - in my first post on this thread I tried to point to the obvious disconnect between one's physical ability and the historical claims of an art.

It doesn't matter who kills who with what five point palm exploding heart technique - the reality of modern 'ninjutsu' is that it was NOT 'designed for war'. It was invented recently by an old man who by all accounts was at one point rather skilled. Ninjutsu techniques historically have nothing to do with fighting, they were espionage/reconnaissance techniques.

Oh and thanks Willie - another cryptic, nonsensical condescending post from you certainly makes your case. Have fun talking to yourself in your corner.

thanks for a reasoned response got it ;)
It may sound odd, but in defending ones self,
one may end up being the one that ends up in
jail.

happens a lot with guns, people feeling they'er in the right
until,,,they find out who really is in the right :o
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Finny wrote:

Oh come on Finny, i'm just starting to have some fun. nothing personal.
I don't care about Ninjutsu finny. I'm just telling you that i have trained and know some of them personally.
They are not Larpers, dude you want to talk about injuries, operations and medical bills... get it.
You cant just go alone with the crowd every time and get away with it.

GOT MY ARM BROKE, DID YOU?
Lost a vein in my leg from knee's, DID YOU?
Broken ankle from a heel hook, Did You?
Nose broke, nerve damage, herniated disks. Did You?
All those guy i trained with had multiple injuries and surgeries.
So Larping? i don't think so...
Now you may be a great Martial artist who paid his dues, that doesn't mean that others haven't as well.
Peace.
P.S. Now back to the weak shit and larping in the park,Thank you.
Last edited by willie on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Finny on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:57 pm

I disagree. I think you're misreading what's been posted. Yes, the law can be odd, that's true.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:00 pm

willie wrote:
Finny wrote:

I don't care about Ninjutsu finny. I'm just telling you that i have trained and know some of them personally.
They are not Larpers, dude you want to talk about injuries, operations and medical bills... get it.

Now you may be a great Martial artist who paid his dues, that doesn't mean that others haven't as well.
Peace.

We can agree to disagree willie, that's no problem.

I've said my piece. If you want to consider ninjutsu the 'deadliest' art out there, by all means, you are free to do so.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Finny wrote: I was wondering if he actually knew the state of US legal opinion, or was just repeating a common urban myth.

I don't know much about US law, except for watching hundreds of episodes of Judge Judy, L.A. Law and other series. ;D
But there are in fact quite a lot of seriously written stuff about law and jurisdiction together with many real life examples in more general books about self defense. I've read a lot about violence and law, but of course, it's mostly from this kind of popular literature. But these things are also taught in some self defense schools. Some classical Jujutsu and modern MMA schools for instance try to ground the student's awareness in the modern society, including teaching a bit about violence and law. So I would think that this is more or less common knowledge in many martial arts communities. Maybe not much in CMA, but certainly a lot in much JMA.

Ninjutsu techniques historically have nothing to do with fighting, they were espionage/reconnaissance techniques.

Personally I would rather say: "The methods of the Ninjas historically have nothing to do with fighting, they were espionage/reconnaissance techniques."
There's probably absolutely nothing from real Ninjas taught in what is called "Ninjutsu" today. On the other hand, what Bujinkan people claim is that they teach fighting techniques written down by Samurai. And as Ninjas were often trained Samurai, the ninjas used these samurai techniques. I don't know how much these things are related. But I don't believe in any of Hatsumi's claims and I know that Ninjas have nothing to do with the Yamabushi. But nowadays at least they try to arrange their history so it make some kind of sense. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:41 pm

That's true, they do. Which makes it harder for the layperson to discern the difference between X-kan arts and legitimate koryu budo. And also skews public perception of what 'real' JMA should look like, which furthers the sense of distaste held for them by the wider JMA community.

The reality is that real Japanese jujutsu training doesn't look like Bujinkan stuff at all.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Gus Mueller on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:10 pm

willie wrote:
Finny wrote:

Peace.

Hi, willie. I don't know you and I don't understand the multiple posts consisting of only "." but what you posted above is not a good advertisement for anything.

Anyway, I thought Draeger laid down the law on there being no ninjutsu in the modern world back in the 1960s...
Gus Mueller

Postby willie on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Gus Mueller wrote:
Hi, willie. I don't know you and I don't understand the multiple posts consisting of only "." but what you posted above is not a good advertisement for anything.

Anyway, I thought Draeger laid down the law on there being no ninjutsu in the modern world back in the 1960s...

hi Gus, yes i dotted them out and will most likely dot more. I don't care about advertisement, ninjutsu or anything else in
particular.. lol! I actually joined here hoping to make a couple new friends, but it didn't go that way. I'm not a yesir, i tell the truth, people don't like that.
They want fairy tails. They want to hear terms like Larping, Resisting opponent, Try that on a MMA guy, try that on a boxer.
All of these popularity slogans from the new jacks who scream before they actually know why something is the way it is.
One of my ex training partners, a sheriff, said it well, it's like a guy in jail who's a rat calling everyone else a rat just so there is someone other
then themselves to point the golden finger at.
Like what school on earth doesn't have resisting opponents? where did that term even come from? What are these people even thinking?
Holy snapping assholes batman, lol!
willie

Postby Mr_Wood on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:26 pm

There's probably absolutely nothing from real Ninjas taught in what is called "Ninjutsu" today.

An old friend of mine has spent a lot of time researching and now writes ( several books on this subject ) and teaches about this. Obviously bujinkan peeps aren't too fond of him but from what i know of his character and that he has is very well educated, masters in archaeology, ancient history I trust he's done his homework sufficiently and gives probably the best account for what 'historical' ninjutsu was all about.

http://www.antonycummins.com/ninjutsu.html
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:36 pm

and when i say he did his home work he started this research about 14 years ago and still pursues it passionately. check out his testimonials.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:07 pm

Mr_Wood wrote:and when i say he did his home work he started this research about 14 years ago and still pursues it passionately. check out his testimonials.

mr wood hey that's great, really is.

What does the term legit even mean?
the ruling of the courts against china's claim to the s. china sea. There is no military power to enforce the decision. so as you can
clearly see, what is legit is actually who has the most military might. papers are papers, they don't do you no good when someones bashing your head in.
Last edited by willie on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links