Wudang Neija — Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua Fighting Approach

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Wudang Neija — Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua Fighting Approach

Postby windwalker on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:23 am

this is why no matter how smart you think you are, without relevant experience in an area one should assume ignorance! This lad has never fought... guaranteed!

niall kane

How about some of his teachers who also say and teach the same things

I do not know if Prof. Cheng would agree that the center of the sphere can be at a place other than the center of your body. However, I learned from one of my teachers,

Sam Chin Fan-siong,

that the center of the spherical surface at the point of contact with the opponent does not even have to be within your body—it can be anywhere as long as (a) your body is inside the extension of the spherical surface at the contact point and (b) the force you exert is perpendicularly outward from that surface.

One of Chin’s favorite defensive stances, “The Beggar’s Stance,” which illustrates this concept, involves facing the opponent with arms outstretched to create convex surfaces (see Figs. 7 and 8). Employing a sphere whose center is not that of your body does not negate any of the above analyses. Simply substitute the words center of the spherical surface for the words center of your body in the above analyses.

http://www.chuckrowtaichi.com/ChengCh.7.html

would you say that this teacher also does not have fighting experince nor knows what he's talking about?

"English Name: Chin Fan Siong / Sam F.S. Chin
Chinese Name: 曾帆祥"

http://iliqchuan.com/content/grandmaster-sam-chin
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 pm

windwalker wrote:
this is why no matter how smart you think you are, without relevant experience in an area one should assume ignorance! This lad has never fought... guaranteed!

niall kane

How about some of his teachers who also say and teach the same things

I do not know if Prof. Cheng would agree that the center of the sphere can be at a place other than the center of your body. However, I learned from one of my teachers,

Sam Chin Fan-siong,

that the center of the spherical surface at the point of contact with the opponent does not even have to be within your body—it can be anywhere as long as (a) your body is inside the extension of the spherical surface at the contact point and (b) the force you exert is perpendicularly outward from that surface.

One of Chin’s favorite defensive stances, “The Beggar’s Stance,” which illustrates this concept, involves facing the opponent with arms outstretched to create convex surfaces (see Figs. 7 and 8). Employing a sphere whose center is not that of your body does not negate any of the above analyses. Simply substitute the words center of the spherical surface for the words center of your body in the above analyses.

http://www.chuckrowtaichi.com/ChengCh.7.html

would you say that this teacher also does not have fighting experince nor knows what he's talking about?

"English Name: Chin Fan Siong / Sam F.S. Chin
Chinese Name: 曾帆祥"

http://iliqchuan.com/content/grandmaster-sam-chin

SO I give a logical example that refutes the conclusion given and rather than deal with the logic your argument is to present those who have been demonstrated to have erred as being "people of good standing" in your community? You AGAIN conveniently ignore all my points. I'm beginning to think you are brainwashed into not seeing anything that upsets your world view? (no, I am not the same, I demand the scientific method, and no, that is not on par with "faith")

Lets examine that mentality by taking us back a few hundred years:
He believes in magic and says she's a witch!
Niall Keane demonstrates that the conclusion is incorrect!
Never mind Keane, the accuser if in good standing within our community so burn her NOW!!!

And of course your real reason is to appeal to that gallery, to have me insult others in the hope they and their minions might prop up your defeated argument, and drown out mine, not deal with it, drown it out! (like all good fanatics do) ... Well Windy my pal, I'm not going to research every Tom, Dick and Harry you present, so let me make this real easy, anyone who does the hoppy hoppy tai chi is delusional! I don't care if they are an immortal who claims to be SunTzu's mentor or what colour belt they use to hold up their trousers or how many other tossers support them, I don't care if they are the illegitimate son of Great Grand Master Chang San-feng himself! ! Does that spell out my opinion?

I only care about credible and demonstrable evidence, that requires impartiality in application, not an incestuous affair with one's students. I don't buy bullshit drills as we know from sports science and from neurology that we end up performing what we practice , so drill to jump back or freeze (even if its to aid your partner) and you will freeze when it comes down to it too. There is no valid martial reason to be a hippity-hoppity gobshite, its a fad born of demented geriatric masters being worshiped by their students to save face, and then other thoroughly ignorant Chinese hillbilly masters, in their nativity, taking the farce for reality, and / or seeking to cash in on the scam. The Chinese lost a whole generation of practice, due to wars and purges and had to rehire from the nursing home to kick start gung fu again, that's why the general standard is still so shit, and its why only now the likes of the Chen's are re-engaging with combat sports, finally there is the beginning of recovery!

So the Chen's who don't hoppy hop are wrong? my lineage is wrong? you're talking people as close as it gets to direct transmission, with Tai Chi Chuan's famous fighters. But some awl lad in a park teaching forms and compliant tuishou has "the real"? Likely eh?

Simply put, the emperor has no clothes!
And many are rightfully too insecure of their own ability to admit such, that, and they have invested heavily in the pyramid scheme and can't face pulling out of it!

But state again that one "must experience it", to be on the same "level" or some other bullshit that sounds to all purposes like a religious view, requiring faith over evidence, a cult!

As for Chen Man-ching... please! It hurts my eyes to watch his form! (as I've shared previously on this forum) I think he was hyped up in the USA and the middle-class hippie generation drank the koolaid. As far as I'm aware his contemporaries didn't think much of him. My own Sigung pushed hands with him, in a friendly fashion and stated that "he was soft but not a fighter". My own experience with European branches of his style is that they are utterly inept when it comes to martial ability. So much so that after getting absolutely trounced in the TCFE Europeans of 2000 in Utrecht, despite trying to mold the rules to suit themselves (and even banning "pulling" so they could simply lunge quickly and in the most brutish way and not be diverted and dragged down) they set up their own Cheng Man-ching Europeans. How sad is that? Its basically the "special" European! I'm aware of William Chen, and he certainly presents what seems to be a completely different approach. Its an enigma to me how any relationship exists between what his kids do and what I have witnessed of the style on this side of the Atlantic.
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Niall Keane wrote:I don't care if they are the illegitimate son of Great Grand Master Chang San-feng himself! ! Does that spell out my opinion?

could have saved your self a lot of typing. It is appreciated.
We have very different view points and experiences.
Enjoy your training.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby northerndevotee on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 pm

Jeez has someone had a drink or two before posting?
Reminds me of some scottish guy who always rants about how inferior people are to him in the tai chi rags.
Seems to me their will always be a big difference between good kung fu and good tai chi.
Is the nine palace dance supposed to have any relevance to the song internal training btw?
northerndevotee
Santi

Postby Niall Keane on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 am

northerndevotee wrote:Jeez has someone had a drink or two before posting?
Reminds me of some scottish guy who always rants about how inferior people are to him in the tai chi rags.
Seems to me their will always be a big difference between good kung fu and good tai chi.
Is the nine palace dance supposed to have any relevance to the song internal training btw?

if you follow the argument, you will see the nine-palace was used to highlight the difference between hoppy-hoppy BS and real tuishou that delivers martially applicable results.

"song" would require a constant "softness" or malleability with the opponents actions, freezing up ain't song, nor is hoppy hop hop, nor is a "single" timing of when to "fa jin" ... so I call BS on any suggestion otherwise.

And, your are casting their shadow upon me, recall it is the likes of Windy who insists the hoppy hop "dance" is "high level" and that one needs to find "the real" to understand "it"... lets not blur the issue?

And thanks for casting me in line with my Sifu, see, its our training, and its nature: honest and demanding, that leaves us with little tolerance for boxercise boys pretending to be boxers!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 am

Niall Keane wrote:
And, your are casting their shadow upon me, recall it is the likes of Windy who insists the hoppy hop "dance" is "high level" and that one needs to find "the real" to understand "it"... lets not blur the issue?

No one has made that claim.

First understand that there is a difference between a demonstration of a principle and training a skill, then understand there is a difference between training a skill and testing a skill in sparring or other games, then understand there is a difference between testing a skill and relying on your art when there are consequences for failure.

You seem to have collapsed all of these ideas into a straw man that insists hopping to regain your balance is how windwalker says you fight with taijiquan.

First, the hopping neutralization I mentioned previously is known as a "sparrow's hop" and it's just basic push-hands training in my lineage. It's in no way "high level" it's just a skill you pick up in push hands and the two-person sword form to learn to neutralize a big force by getting the hell out of the way.

During push hands, you might wind up hopping as in the video depending on what's going on, and it's always due to a mistake on your part.

For example, I tried to pull my partner down, but before I started the pull, I rose up, my partner followed me and added a little bit of lift at the end of my rising motion, so I was about a half inch or so higher than I wanted to be, my root was broken, and my leverage against him was worthless. When I tried to pull him down, I pushed myself up instead.

The result was that I didn't know where the ground was, my feet came up off of it, I shot my legs out to find the ground, which was closer than I thought, so I jumped up again before I managed to regain my balance and composure. I didn't understand why I was jumping until I went over it with my partner and we broke down the mechanics of it and I realized that he made me do it.

The application of these sorts of skills and how they appear from the outside is a function of the differential in level the players are expressing at the moment and the intent of the one in control. With someone who is completely untrained even a moderately trained tajiquan player should be able to completely dominate them. A trained opponent who knows how to guard their gates and maintain a dominant position requires a greater level of skill. It is not unusual to fall back on the stronger and easier wei jin techniques to contend with a skilled opponent, but it is less than optimal.

The "real" here is the application of the mental component of Lie, Chen, thunder, the arousing, aka split. The opponent's understanding of the world is at odds with the reality they are attempting to deal with. Much like when someone in a debate is arguing against a point you are not making.

I don't know what the Wudang lineage contains regarding study of jin or the energies of the 13 postures (8 gates/five steps), some of what you have been saying is at direct variance with my understanding of the Yang family teachings and methods. Timing fa jin and which jin to fa are both very precise principles and considerations. Again I would hesitate to get defensive about "the real" and "levels" and would much rather hear more about your training methods and working concepts to see where these traditions converge and differ and what we could learn from each other to improve our art.

Windwalker's input regarding intention is in line with all of the teachings from the Yang lineage. If you don't understand it, you don't understand it, and that's fine, you have the reward you have sought in your study. Just don't try to tell people who do understand it that it doesn't exist.

Many of the subtler nei jin are very difficult to perceive and train in high-intensity situations, in my opinion, too much intensity too often can impede the development of nei jin skills. As mentioned previously, you miss the trees for the forest. Wei jin is so obvious and exciting that the five tones deafen the ear, so to speak.

As for boxercise boys, again I will say that after I regain my base conditioning in roughly a year's time, I would be honored to put my methods to the test with you or anyone else on this board in the spirit of learning and exploration.
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:43 am

"Boxercise Boys"?

Meoooow!

S

P.S. This thread makes me want to vomit.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby northerndevotee on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Song shumins internal gong training i should of said. Sorry if i wasn't clear before.
northerndevotee
Santi

Postby Niall Keane on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:33 pm

I see I've rattled the cage a bit, and by the number of positive PMs I'm receiving its not before time!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:36 pm

northerndevotee wrote:Song shumins internal gong training i should of said. Sorry if i wasn't clear before.

ah shur, attack the "story" why don't ya? Not much to attack in the gung fu, (if you have nothing to offer as example) perhaps like Cheng Tin-hung said to Wu Kung-yi : "your gung fu is shit, all in the mouth and not in the hands"?
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:04 pm

First understand that there is a difference between a demonstration of a principle and training a skill, then understand there is a difference between training a skill and testing a skill in sparring or other games, then understand there is a difference between testing a skill and relying on your art when there are consequences for failure.

You seem to have collapsed all of these ideas into a straw man that insists hopping to regain your balance is how windwalker says you fight with taijiquan.

First, the hopping neutralization I mentioned previously is known as a "sparrow's hop" and it's just basic push-hands training in my lineage. It's in no way "high level" it's just a skill you pick up in push hands and the two-person sword form to learn to neutralize a big force by getting the hell out of the way.

My point, that you insist on misunderstanding is that we end up defaulting to how we train when under pressure, this is a known fact in sports science. So, if you train to hop back ... well... have a look at some professional boxing matches and watch what happens to boxers who try and bounce back out of initial attacks. Nei Jia would always hold that one does not move or step without such offering advantage. not 50-50 but advantage!
As for consequences, its pathetic to hear people who have never fought at a decent level dismiss the knock-outs and serious injuries that often occur in full contact bouts as inconsequential. As if all street encounters are lethal? Please! its such a BS mindset to pretend ones art is designed for lethal force and yet cannot cope with the basic tools of encounters like punching, kicking and throwing.

The "real" here is the application of the mental component of Lie, Chen, thunder, the arousing, aka split. The opponent's understanding of the world is at odds with the reality they are attempting to deal with. Much like when someone in a debate is arguing against a point you are not making.

See, that's the problem right there, you think you are being clever and subtle but you are not. Its precisely this situation with the align connect and "fa" hoppy hop "drills".
Timing is of course essential, but it has to happen within flow for any fighter, not just nei jia lads. these drills with the hoppy hop or the sudden fajin by a master and his student back into mats.. .its just fallacy. The evidence is in the many people who can do this trick yet cannot fight let alone employ it in a fight.

Many of the subtler nei jin are very difficult to perceive and train in high-intensity situations, in my opinion, too much intensity too often can impede the development of nei jin skills. As mentioned previously, you miss the trees for the forest. Wei jin is so obvious and exciting that the five tones deafen the ear, so to speak.

"drills" are not useless even "low intensity" drills, it depends on the drill... but you again reveal your flawed opinion about nei jin and people who train to fight, seeking to demean experience with the usual thinly veiled insult as to "obvious and exciting" practices.

As for boxercise boys, again I will say that after I regain my base conditioning in roughly a year's time, I would be honored to put my methods to the test with you or anyone else on this board in the spirit of learning and exploration.
[/quote]

this isn't heroic, quite the opposite its a cop out, realistically I'm not going to jump on a plane and travel thousands of miles just to "experience" what I already perceive as nonsense. Like, if you wish to exorcise the burden of proof, just feckin enter a known local competition of decent level (like we fighters have all done) and video it and perhaps edit the video with commentary to explain your perspective... simple! I would totally respect that and wouldn't be expecting empty force, or massively obvious hoppy hops, I'd just like to see how this method so sung about actually benefits a fighter? You know is it a "martial" method?
Last edited by Niall Keane on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Hop like a sparrow is legit
It is not the hopping crap we see in most clips
It is used to disapate energy that arrives on the body full force

The method of training is to stand arms by side forward stance
The attacker jumps in and hits you full power in the chest with a double palm strike.
You do not try to neutralise just accept the strike fully relaxed and let it throw you back
Now it's your turn
Should hurt like hell on contact but be gone by landing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Niall Keane wrote:

My point, that you insist on misunderstanding is that we end up defaulting to how we train when under pressure,

IT'S NOT TRAINING IT'S A DEMONSTRATION. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

this is a known fact in sports science. So, if you train to hop back ... well... have a look at some professional boxing matches and watch what happens to boxers who try and bounce back out of initial attacks. Nei Jia would always hold that one does not move or step without such offering advantage. not 50-50 but advantage!

The sparrow hop is a legitimate technique from Yang Family Taijiquan. If you use any technique at the wrong time you're going to have a bad time.

As for consequences, its pathetic to hear people who have never fought at a decent level dismiss the knock-outs and serious injuries that often occur in full contact bouts as inconsequential. As if all street encounters are lethal? Please! its such a BS mindset to pretend ones art is designed for lethal force and yet cannot cope with the basic tools of encounters like punching, kicking and throwing.

Yeah, after my last sports match I couldn't walk for a month and picked up a painkiller habit. I decided it wasn't worth it to continue training in that matter because the competitions don't matter. I win, you win, he wins, who cares? Tomorrow somebody else will win and the day after they'll forget all about today. There's better money in IT and I can still train half the day. That is what I mean when I say it doesn't matter. It fails to pass a basic cost-benefit analysis. I changed up how I train and I'm seeing far better results all around.

I prefer to take the fight out of people without hurting them or letting myself be hurt, but that's just me.

See, that's the problem right there, you think you are being clever and subtle but you are not. Its precisely this situation with the align connect and "fa" hoppy hop "drills".
Timing is of course essential, but it has to happen within flow for any fighter, not just nei jia lads. these drills with the hoppy hop or the sudden fajin by a master and his student back into mats.. .its just fallacy. The evidence is in the many people who can do this trick yet cannot fight let alone employ it in a fight.

WHO IS CALLING THIS A DRILL? THEY ARE WRONG IT IS A DEMONSTRATION.

"drills" are not useless even "low intensity" drills, it depends on the drill... but you again reveal your flawed opinion about nei jin and people who train to fight, seeking to demean experience with the usual thinly veiled insult as to "obvious and exciting" practices.

I didn't say anything about drills. What I'm saying here is that
1) You don't even understand what you're looking at, because you keep calling it training, when it is clearly a demonstration of principles.
2) If you don't understand what is going on in the clip AND how to exploit that in a combat context you are missing a huge chunk of taijiquan that could make your fighting better

Now whether you take that as an insult or not is your own business. I'm not contending with you here. I'm saying that you are misrepresenting the spirit and intent of what's being discussed and are being willfully obstinate for no apparent purpose other than ego gratification and the validation of your peers. Maybe there is some insecurity there. Winning isn't enough to convince you that your practice is worthwhile, so you have to convince others that their practice is worthless? I'm just lobbing guesses here, but for someone with such accomplishments under their belt and such proven success, you sure do seem very defensive about your work and fearful of other viewpoints.

this isn't heroic, quite the opposite its a cop out, realistically I'm not going to jump on a plane and travel thousands of miles just to "experience" what I already perceive as nonsense. Like, if you wish to exorcise the burden of proof, just feckin enter a known local competition of decent level (like we fighters have all done) and video it and perhaps edit the video with commentary to explain your perspective... simple! I would totally respect that and wouldn't be expecting empty force, or massively obvious hoppy hops, I'd just like to see how this method so sung about actually benefits a fighter? You know is it a "martial" method?

Heroic? I don't generally talk about my heroism, as it's not relevant and has nothing to do with fighting.

I'm out to train. I train. You question my training, the proof is in the pudding, come check it out or shut the hell up about how effective it isn't.

I DO need more diverse training partners, so, please, if you or anyone you know who is worth a shit is anywhere near Austin, send them my way. I need to reach some conditioning milestones before I get too fancy, but I'm always down to work to my current capacity.

Ultimately, here, I'm just confused as to why people professing to love and study these arts are getting their rocks off acting like this is just Bullshido lite. I thought that just maybe there were some people around here that were interested in talking about the nuances of neijia without all the posturing.

To be clear, I respect your training and accomplishments, but your attitude leaves much to be desired. Can we get past the dick measuring at some point and find out what we can learn from each other?
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:18 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Hop like a sparrow is legit
It is not the hopping crap we see in most clips
It is used to disapate energy that arrives on the body full force

The method of training is to stand arms by side forward stance
The attacker jumps in and hits you full power in the chest with a double palm strike.
You do not try to neutralise just accept the strike fully relaxed and let it throw you back
Now it's your turn
Should hurt like hell on contact but be gone by landing

Yeah, I'm not sure if what I was saying was clear.

Sparrow's Hop/Hop Like Sparrow is a legit and correct technique.

The hopping during these kinds of demos is just evidence of the hopper's shitty skill level compared to whoever is applying the distress.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby JoeWood on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 pm

oragami_itto, look up Mike Graves in San Antonio; shouldn't be too far to visit from Austin.
JoeWood
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links