Wai Lun Choi bouncing a student

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wai Lun Choi bouncing a student

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:36 am

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Wai Lun Choi bouncing a student

Postby RobP3 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:10 am

I don't understand the point of that - is it for the student to lock his whole body up so he bounces when hit, or is he not supposed to bounce?
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:57 am

It's part of a demo, but what I believe he's trying to show/teach is the weakness of the stance. The student isn't rooting properly. You can see where he doesn't bounce and he says "good, good".

Just thought it was interesting. My teacher studied with him and once did something similar to me through my hand spontaneously.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:05 pm

I can do this and have had it done to me.

IME It has to do with testing inner connections, when he says "good" he is probably commenting on the connection.
He did say that the students stance was to wide at one point. Its not about locking the body up by any means, it is about inner conectedness.
The teacher depending on how its done has to be very quick....think of making a basket ball bounce just from pressing on it. Not everyone
can do it, but once its understood and with a little practice most can do it...

whats it for? it can be for many things depends on level and insight of the one doing it, in this case it seems to be a way of testing...

In China, my own teacher can put his hands on someone and bounce them around like a basket ball...its kinda funny
everyone laughs....
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Strange on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Sir Isaac Newton (1642 - 1726)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Drake on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:26 am

"Connectivity", "physics", etc..... Choi sifu is using a younger student because young bodies instinctively are better connected than an adult body at this stage. Sifu would check us in similar fashion when we did beng chui. 9 joints, tai gong, etc.... It's for him not for the students, but sometimes it can be enlightening. Like when he check a 300 lb man in another seminar, and bounced him like a handball. ;) Choi sifu is the real deal, fo' sho'
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:41 am

Are you a student of his? Do you know if there is anyone teaching his Hsing I in the south? Texas in particular.

I'm rediscovering the five elements, but have lost my reference material and believe I'm missing some of the intricacy in the footwork for the change form and the dao form.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:33 am

If the student was well rooted, the pushes would be absorbed into the ground. He would not hop. Connection without grounding... :/
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:27 am

The root is dynamic, it is the ability to change.

"...And he knew therefore, that all true definitions of art are circular, and all untrue definitions of art ascribe to it a specific function."
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:41 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:The root is dynamic, it is the ability to change.

No. It's not.
A dynamic root means that you are supposed to use it.
Also, having the ability to change doesn't mean that you are automatically changing.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:28 am

Won't argue the point.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Gus Mueller on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:55 am

Bao wrote:If the student was well rooted, the pushes would be absorbed into the ground. He would not hop. Connection without grounding... :/

This is actually a very good demo and it will work on anyone, even Imaginary Johnny Super-Root. You'll notice the teacher doesn't show that it doesn't work on him, because it would work on him every trip of the train.

Did you see when he bent down and hit the li'l fella in the knee? Can you say "patellar reflex"? He's not "hopping" as commonly understood in the obviously fake demos I've already addressed, his reflexes are making sure his feet are under him. That's why he only goes up once, and only a couple inches, because he's not faking. Bao, I've never met you, but assuming you've got two normal human legs this demo would work on you, your teacher, your teacher's teacher, his teacher, Jesus Christ, etc. even when administered by a random untrained person. In a wheelchair.
Gus Mueller

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:25 am

Gus Mueller wrote: Bao, I've never met you, but assuming you've got two normal human legs this demo would work on you, your teacher, your teacher's teacher, his teacher, Jesus Christ, etc. even when administered by a random untrained person.

Ok then... :-\ Anyway, it would be fun to try it. :)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Drake on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:29 am

OK...... I'm going to address each one of you in succession, and because I'm a curmudgeonly, old man I'm going to *not* be kind in some instances:

Origami Itto: No one from Choi sifu's lineage teaches in the south. Anyone that does is a "seminar star", or a "video tape" athlete. In either case they wouldn't be worth your time, and effort.

Bao: Your experience is suspect, at best. Floating root is common/taught in liuhebafa. It's also taught in hsing-i, bagua, and taiji. If you have no knowledge of it you have no knowledge. Only stance, dance, and pose.

Gus: Good pick up on Choi sifu's demo, and David/Bao's bullshit.As you said it's not a "hop" it's a demonstration that the kid is pretty well connected. *WHOLE* body connectivity. Choi sifu adjust his stance to demonstrate a fraction of the "steel" in lhbf. You don't punch with your arm, leg, or torso, but *EVERYTHING* IN UNISON*, and instantly relax to a "one" state. ((from one to ten with ten being contact/strike))
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:35 am

You can try it with any ball point pen. Put the pen on its clicker push down and let it go, the pen will bounce up, same principle. In this thing we do understanding this quality in our body and structure is that which gives us the ability to move and strike at contact.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links