Dan Harden and Roy Goldberg

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Dan Harden and Roy Goldberg

Postby Chris Li on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, this might be fun...

Some videos from last weekend's joint workshop in Massachusetts with Dan Harden (Sangenkai) and Roy Goldberg (Daito-ryu Aiki-jujutsu Kodokai):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF6qj ... hIMpM8bObg

Enjoy!

Chris
Chris Li
Mingjing

Re: Dan Harden and Roy Goldberg

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Very nice, good to see Dan (and Roy!) putting some material up. Thanks for posting!
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Really hope to make it to one of Dan's seminars next year. Thanks for the post.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:14 pm

nice clips,
very clear explanations
windwalker
Wuji

Postby JoeWood on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing.
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby Gus Mueller on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Clicked on the link. In 2 Sides of the Coin, Part 4, starting at 3:40 the uke (white gi guy) sticks with his open palm, without grabbing, to the outside of the forearm of the guy in black sweats and acts like he's being raised up off his heels onto his toes. After a few seconds of this he valiantly does a "martial cartwheel". This goes beyond any "jumping" or "hopping" that has been clearly pointed out. Seriously, WTF? Could it be anymore fake? Being expected to take this seriously is insulting.
Gus Mueller

Postby junglist on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:31 pm

You do know it's very easy to throw people who are off balanced right?
I would love for you to prove Dan Harden wrong! That way we can know you are the man to learn from!
junglist
Anjing

Postby Gus Mueller on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 pm

junglist wrote:You do know it's very easy to throw people who are off balanced right?
I would love for you to prove Dan Harden wrong! That way we can know you are the man to learn from!

You did see his flat palm and fingers and thumb not gripping Sweatsuit's arm at all, right? He could have walked away, grabbed a cup of coffee, come back and slapped his equally flat not grabby palm against Sweatsuit's arm and picked up where he left off. If your idea that he was PUT off balance and was thrown is correct, I wonder how he gets through the day bumping into various people in minor ways without constantly doing "martial cartwheels".

I appreciate that you played the "let's you and him fight" card, but still, it's fake, fake, fake. The part that came after was even worse, the white guy gi laying on his stomach standing on his tippy-toes because someone is twiddling his fingers.
Gus Mueller

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Hey - nobody ban me for saying this, ok? I'm not making any personal attacks ok mods?

But seriously - can somebody please show Dan how to do an armbar (he calls it an 'elbow lock')? Excuse me for being trapped at the level of technique, but that is simply terrible technique being demonstrated.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks Dan! I can understand how hard had to decide to do this. Such a beautiful gift!

GrahamB wrote:Hey - nobody ban me for saying this, ok? I'm not making any personal attacks ok mods?

But seriously - can somebody please show Dan how to do an armbar (he calls it an 'elbow lock')? Excuse me for being trapped at the level of technique, but that is simply terrible technique being demonstrated.

I have been there Graham. It's not the normal bjj armbar, the elbow is free until Dan decides to attack it, but the flesh and skin of the arm are in terrible pain the whole time. I've had to tap multiple times just for that, before the actual armbar starts.

Then there is an absolutely painful forearm grinding than Dan does that is straight against human rights. Did you feel how a catch wrestler is always using elbow grinding? That's tender and lovely if compared with the Dan's version.
Last edited by jaime_g on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:16 am

Jamie - judo/mma/sambo/Bjj all do their arm bars the same way. I can see where this will go so probably wise to not engage. Suffice to say I can see why he never posted video before. Emperor / clothes.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:26 am

GrahamB wrote:Jamie - judo/mma/sambo/Bjj all do their arm bars the same way. I can see where this will go so probably wise to not engage. Suffice to say I can see why he never posted video before. Emperor / clothes.

Well. I tried ::) I suppose it's easier to just hate instead of trying to understand why so many grapplers and mma guys have that wtf look in the face when rolling with Dan and struggle for survive instead of just submit him.Are all of us stupid? Probably ;D
Last edited by jaime_g on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:33 am

jaime_g wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Jamie - judo/mma/sambo/Bjj all do their arm bars the same way. I can see where this will go so probably wise to not engage. Suffice to say I can see why he never posted video before. Emperor / clothes.

Well. I tried ::) I suppose it's easier to just hate instead of trying to understand why so many grapplers and mma guys have that wtf look in the face when rolling with Dan. Are all of us stupid? Probably ;D

Haha :)

Oh believe me, I want to try. But I can't. It's been made very clear to me I have to tread carefully around him, by the mods.

I'll be honest - the armbar is the least of my worries watching those videos, the very least, but if you want to train in that sort of stuff, in that way, then I've got no beef with you personally. "You've only got 1 life, you got to do what you should", as Bono famously sang. Enjoy it and good luck in your training.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:53 am

windwalker wrote:nice clips,
very clear explanations

Agreed. Good clear instruction.

@Graham: ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert