Li taijiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Li taijiquan

Postby 100kilos on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 am

Here is a short clip of Serge doing some Li taijiquan. As a lay person I think it looks rather nice, but I havent done any sort of Taiji training so I really wouldn't know the difference. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/191641199
100kilos
Anjing

Re: Li taijiquan

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 am

Is he one of Doctor Painter's students? That's the only Li Family Taijiquan I'm aware of, good to see it in action.

It looks a bit different than what I am used to, but that doesn't mean much. At a superficial level I would say the way he is playing it seems much more strength/external based than I'd like. You can see the muscles tensing and rippling in his forearm, for example and it appears his lower back is sticking out a bit more than I'd want. The Qi doesn't appear to be sunk.

But overall, he moves well.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby jim on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:56 am

I've read about him in Alex Kozma's books. He sounds like a most interesting fellow. I'd be very interested in spending some time with him.
jim
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 pm

There is a Li style of Li Ruidong Lineage is Yang Luchan>> Wang Lanting (said to be one of the best Yang stylists after Yang Luchan) //Li RUidong
This is one of the few styles I never had a chance to study but I like its unique and distinct posture presentation!

When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:15 am

Is he one of Doctor Painter's students? That's the only Li Family Taijiquan I'm aware of, good to see it in action.

It looks a bit different than what I am used to, but that doesn't mean much. At a superficial level I would say the way he is playing it seems much more strength/external based than I'd like. You can see the muscles tensing and rippling in his forearm, for example and it appears his lower back is sticking out a bit more than I'd want. The Qi doesn't appear to be sunk.

But overall, he moves well.

For sure not. Some films to watch if you would like to know more.

https://vimeo.com/111581568

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/24282/111581431

Here is a short clip of Serge doing some Li taijiquan. As a lay person I think it looks rather nice, but I havent done any sort of Taiji training so I really wouldn't know the difference. Hope you guys enjoy!

I had the pleasure of hosting Serge in the uk a couple of times and we trained some of his Li Style Taiji. It is extremely deep, extremly detailed and extremely scary in a fighting context. Still the best internal arts practitioner I have met.

thanks.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby kingmonkey on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:10 am

I couldn't agree more Chris!

If you ever get a chance to meet Serge in person I highly recommend it oragami_itto.
kingmonkey
Santi

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks! I'll definitely jump on the chance if I get it.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby 100kilos on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:59 am

Just to put it out there if people don't already know. I am a student of Serge so I think he is the bees knees. That being said when I stated that I didn't know much about Tajiquan was to illustrate my level of understanding just in case some one wanted to ask any detailed questions about his taiji. I am a beginner and like I said at this point I really can't differentiate between taiji styles.
100kilos
Anjing

Postby Arnaud on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi guys,

If you want to know more about this amazing and rare style you can find more info here http://urbandaouk.blogspot.fr/2012/07/tai-ji-quan-of-li-fang-chen-who-was.html
Arnaud
Santi

Postby Josealb on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Fluid as hell, heavy, springy, unified. Very nice.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I have always enjoyed master Zhou's work, so sad the loss still.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Serge Augier on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 am

hello everyone,

The Li Style I practice and I teach was never intended to be taught outside the Family Circle.

It is a style that my teacher start teaching me when I was young, before the beginning of the 80' ;)

The main difference that I see we other taijiquan styles, it's that the "Boxing" aspect is still very important in the cursus...very!

I enjoy sharing this style, because I can see the result fast, for the students.

And it's a very "conceptual" form, with some freedom in the manifestation of the Internal concepts.

but I have to look at these "muscle tensing and rippling forearms" and my "lower back sticking out"...and this Qi that does not "Sunk"...pfff...so much to do ;)
Last edited by Serge Augier on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge Augier
Santi

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:04 am

Always a work in progress
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Serge Augier wrote:but I have to look at these "muscle tensing and rippling forearms" and my "lower back sticking out"...and this Qi that does not "Sunk"...pfff...so much to do ;)

Work hard and stay in school!
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links