Taijiquan and MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Taijiquan and MMA

Postby windwalker on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:27 am

“OOH, I do believe that Tai Chi people should do a whole lot more of sparring and similar, and preferably enter free style competitions. OTOH, I don't believe that Tai Chi people tend to approach sparring wrongly.”

One can not ask them to enter into the competitions and then ask why they're not using taiji skill sets
when they haven’t developed any to use. It's a lose, lose situation

“He does not leave the house for 10yrs” an often used saying in CMA meaning until one has reached a sufficient skill level it would be unwise to do so.
For what are called combative sports they quickly transition to the intended usage building skill sets that comparatively to taiji skill sets are relatively a little easier to understand and gain.

Back in the 70s some local CMA promoters tried to mitigate this by having people prove that they were in fact CMA practitioners.
Stylistic usage was also part of the criteria for judging. Unfortunately this lead to the question of who was able to judge what. A little hard finding qualified judges.

Even when the skill sets are developed for ring usage as shown in another thread here the event itself is questioned. From the teacher, practice down to the opponents, mainly it would seem on the basis of “it’s not how I do it”

We don’t speak of boxers for example in the same way.
Ie its very apparent that the person is a boxer and using boxing. With taiji the distinction or focus is on whether it’s taiji or not.
It should be very apparent as to what one is using or not.

This is why I look at training methods and practices and compare to free style usage
whether I agree with what is being done or not.

One would not say thats “x” he or she is a boxer while watching a match.
Why is that many question or even have to make a distinction about what is used
When it comes to “taiji”
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 am

cloudz wrote:

Nice clip! I love when schools host open sparring. Done well, they provide everyone with opportunities to safely mix it up with individuals and styles they are not used to. They are great opportunities for learning and growth.

Re: Ian and his performance in this clip, I'll leave it to the Taiji guys to say whether what he was doing was Taiji, or good Taiji, but I wanted to point out that from 3:00 - 3:57, he was blindfolded.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby willie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 am

cloudz wrote:
I really like Ian and what he does, but it's not a good (edit: or fair) comparison to try and make I think.

Yeah, i was thinking about that, You might be right.
Ian has like 3 decades in his art, but Nick is using it against fighters. So the reality of the training in nicks corner
may be an accelerator to real skills that can not be acquired no matter how many years others train them.

Best of luck.
willie

Postby cloudz on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:32 am

willie wrote:
cloudz wrote:
I really like Ian and what he does, but it's not a good (edit: or fair) comparison to try and make I think.

Yeah, i was thinking about that, You might be right.
Ian has like 3 decades in his art, but Nick is using it against fighters. So the reality of the training in nicks corner
may be an accelerator to real skills that can not be acquired no matter how many years others train them.

Best of luck.

You said it very well Willie, thanks. Better than I could muster up I think.
Ian seems a lovely guy and shares a lot, I didn't want it to seem that I think less of him.
I just don't think he or others like him belong in a discussion around MMA..
Fighting is a barometer but not the only one and not necessarily the 'ultimate' one, unless you choose that.

I've never made a secret of how I would like to see more resistance/ aliveness and sparring drills/ sparring permeating neijia etc.
Getting out of our bubbles is good, throw-downs are good, drilling our techniques and skills compliantly is good.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby zhenwu on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:07 am

Greg J wrote: I wanted to point out that from 3:00 - 3:57, he was blindfolded.

Best,
Greg
zhenwu
Santi

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:44 am

zhenwu wrote:
Greg J wrote: I wanted to point out that from 3:00 - 3:57, he was blindfolded.

Best,
Greg

Can't really see the point of it. Holding out a straight arm, serving someone a handle to use as pleased and a few other things that goes completely against everything a more experienced person would do. Training blindfolded can not IMHO compensate lack of experience, common sense or anything else of the few basic things that you need to be able to fight in the first place. :-\
.. I.e. = Learn the basics first, then you can play around however you want while still keeping to the basics.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:20 am

cloudz wrote:
I've never made a secret of how I would like to see more resistance/ aliveness and sparring drills/ sparring permeating neijia etc.
Getting out of our bubbles is good, throw-downs are good, drilling our techniques and skills compliantly is good.

i know you have been stressing fighting for a long time, i used to follow your writing many, many years ago. you were sanshou?
Last edited by willie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby cloudz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:33 am

Nice power, looking good there Willie.
Since you bring it up, I remember you showing up on the other board I post on.
I've always done Taiji, but I was probably doing a fair bit of sanshou training at the time.

Yang style has a pretty wide range of transmissions, I guess is one way to put it.

happy training
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby willie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:14 am

cloudz wrote:Nice power, looking good there Willie. happy training

thanks
willie

Previous