Training Drill and new book

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Training Drill and new book

Postby RobP3 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:59 am

Here's a very simple training drill you night like to try - plus details of my new book, The Ten Points of Sparring. It gives you a complete framework for developing sparring and training drills, advice on structuring your training sessions, how to develop attributes, testing skills and creating scenarios. It can be applied to any style or method

Available in paperback or PDF download from here http://www.systemafilms.com

"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Re: Training Drill and new book

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:39 am

Good stuff as always Rob, and good luck with the book!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:21 am

Very nice. Good to see Systema being well repped and received!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Gus Mueller on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Wow. Can you say amazingly bad and no surprise at the same time? I've seen children, I've been a child, I don't need something to show me how to act like a child. I'm not saying this is fake I'm saying it's a terrible advertisement. It makes me want to not fly to England or wherever.
Gus Mueller

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Little off subject, just curious, have there been any threads with Gus giving positive input?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:11 pm

None come to mind. I blocked him so now I see that beautiful little notice instead of his bullshit.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:20 am

Gus Mueller wrote:Wow. Can you say amazingly bad and no surprise at the same time? I've seen children, I've been a child, I don't need something to show me how to act like a child. I'm not saying this is fake I'm saying it's a terrible advertisement. It makes me want to not fly to England or wherever.

Result!

Please stay in whatever place you are (presumably in a pit of bile somewhere) and don't come here!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:00 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:Little off subject, just curious, have there been any threads with Gus giving positive input?

No, this "Gus" only write when he can be a jerk. He always know if something sucks but brings absolutely nothing to the table. There are also people who tend to write on the board only when they can promote themselves... So no, not everyone is here for sharing and learning. I guess, that's the way it always has been here. :-X ... :P

Btw, I am no big fan of teaching how to getting used being hit in the head in a general class. I would critize any teacher who taught this in their general instruction or proposed it to a general audience by videos and books. So, no, this vid was not my cup of tea... Just sayin'. :(
Last edited by Bao on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:36 am

Thought the clip was interesting, reminded me of what boxers do in avoidance drills, their practice is with a ball swinging back and forth they practice bobbing and weaving. Many CMA practices develop what's called iron body allowing the body to be hit in the testing and training process. In taiji at least in my practice and those I’ve practice with it seems to share a lot of common elements shown in the clip, sticking, following, and leading. The clip seems to have elements of both iron body, and taiji skill sets.

@ RobP3, was wondering how or what are you using to time your movement in the drills to the hits. . I could give you a perspective based on my own practice that seems very similar, you’ve mentioned before systema is not taiji and is based on different principles. Would be interested in reading yours if it’s not too much trouble or something that you’d rather not share on the net which is very understandable. .
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:17 am

After seeing this I checked, and YES there is a guy in town that teaches Systema AND Yang Taijiquan

There are some definite similarities, so I expect them to be compatible, even if they get there a little differently. There are things Taiji has in common with most any martial art, but there are also things unique to it.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Gus Mueller on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:09 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:Little off subject, just curious, have there been any threads with Gus giving positive input?

Yes, in fact. He gave a very positive review to Wai Lun Choi's video. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25410&p=430693&hilit=Excellent&sid=03cf1addf16ae596095cbe7d31544220#p430693

Sorry if calling this video "a bad advertisement" offended you. To reiterate, I'm not saying it's fake, I'm not saying they don't have any skill, I'm just saying the pattycake thing just doesn't sell me.

That said, it's a beautiful day and I'm going to go launch some refrigerators into the air by pushing them with 3/4 power because that's completely real. I don't talk about my heroism, of course, I often don't talk about it at great length, like the time I suppressed a 1500 person riot. Billy Bouncer talks a good game of blocking, yet he sent me a Facebook friend request using the name he previously used here.

Hi Tao Joannes!
Gus Mueller

Return to Video Links