Sensitivity Drill

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Sensitivity Drill

Postby RobP3 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:14 am

A sensitivity drill from last Saturday's softwork workshop - full download will be available soon!

"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Re: Sensitivity Drill

Postby willie on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:23 am

nice moves, stolen from tai chi, still very, very nice stuff. thanks for sharing.
willie

Postby RobP3 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:24 am

willie wrote:nice moves, stolen from tai chi, still very, very nice stuff. thanks for sharing.

No, it isn't stolen from tai chi, but thanks
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 am

yes it is, we do stuff just like that.
Get over it dude, it's a compliment.
willie

Postby RobP3 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:26 am

willie wrote:yes it is, we do stuff just like that.

Not everything is stolen from tai chi :) Some similar drills , but the underlying method is very different
Last edited by RobP3 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:30 am

I know that. your art is very impressive.
A+
my teacher like it too!
Last edited by willie on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby RobP3 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:31 am

Cool
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Sparring was mentioned in this video. Any video examples of free sparring (striking/grappling/mixed)? Competitions or other?
Last edited by dspyrido on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:46 am

dspyrido wrote:Sparring was mentioned in this video. Any video examples of free sparring (striking/grappling/mixed)? Competitions or other?

There's a lot of class clips on the channel, will be some in amongst that too. We film about 80% of the work we do, some work will not be on YT.
As far as competition goes most of our competing guys have "retired" but we've had a couple of the younger lads in comps and one was living / fighting out in Thailand for a while. I don't know what footage there is, there was something floating round a while back from a boxing match I think. I'll see if I can find it
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Giles on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:28 am

RobP3 wrote:

Not everything is stolen from tai chi :) Some similar drills , but the underlying method is very different

I also train and teach some things which are, at least, quite similar in concept and goal. And at around 2.53 to 2.55 Rob does a connecting/bridging move with his right arm that is a classic accepting (soft peng-jin) arm from bog-standard ;) Yang tai chi. Gotcha, exposed at last!!! And I'm going to link this video for my students because there's lots of nice stuff there.

But seriously, folks: "Convergent evolution"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

For example:

The swift

and the swallow

are both birds that occupy similar ecological niches but have quite different "lineages", the swallow being a passerine or 'songbird' and the swift related more to hummingbirds.
So there you are.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 am

Giles wrote:
RobP3 wrote:

I also train and teach some things which are, at least, quite similar in concept and goal. And at around 2.53 to 2.55 Rob does a connecting/bridging move with his right arm that is a classic accepting (soft peng-jin) arm from bog-standard ;) Yang tai chi. Gotcha, exposed at last!!! And I'm going to link this video for my students because there's lots of nice stuff there.

Ha! the funny thing is that, I actually think that he would be a better taiji teacher then a whole lot of taiji teachers are.
willie

Postby dspyrido on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:16 pm

RobP3 wrote:There's a lot of class clips on the channel, will be some in amongst that too. We film about 80% of the work we do, some work will not be on YT.
As far as competition goes most of our competing guys have "retired" but we've had a couple of the younger lads in comps and one was living / fighting out in Thailand for a while. I don't know what footage there is, there was something floating round a while back from a boxing match I think. I'll see if I can find it

Poked around on the YT channel but there was not much free sparring/grappling I could find. By this I mean a 1 on 1 competitive between students or others. I can see a lot of good cardio, padwork drills, technique testing and situational training but not typical 1 on 1.

Just trying to see how the method translates into a typical sports situation where two people face off and go for either strikes, submission, throws etc. (or mixed). Guessing it might not be a part of the curriculum & up to the student to pursue?
Last edited by dspyrido on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:05 am

dspyrido wrote:
Just trying to see how the method translates into a typical sports situation where two people face off and go for either strikes, submission, throws etc. (or mixed). Guessing it might not be a part of the curriculum & up to the student to pursue?

The typical sports situation is not really the focus of our work. Some of the guys who come to me are interested from their professional perspective, which is a different environment. Others are former competitors looking for something else and some are just "normal" :) Like I said we have a couple of guys who compete, everyone uses the training for whatever they like.

Many of the principles, such as the breathing / free movement aspect, are universal in application. The specifics are down to how and when people want to use the training.

There are guys teaching more sports orientated sessions, such as Riazanov and more so in Russia, or at least with some athletes from what I've heard
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 am

Giles wrote:
I also train and teach some things which are, at least, quite similar in concept and goal. And at around 2.53 to 2.55 Rob does a connecting/bridging move with his right arm that is a classic accepting (soft peng-jin) arm from bog-standard ;) Yang tai chi. Gotcha, exposed at last!!!

But seriously, folks: "Convergent evolution"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

;D ;D

Yep, good point. There's only so many ways of doing things
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:03 am

RobP3 wrote:Not everything is stolen from tai chi :) Some similar drills , but the underlying method is very different

What exactly here is different? :-\

And BTW, can't you show this and similar against someone very big, sturdy fellow? The second one looks too easy when you can press down on his shoulder so easily. ;)

willie wrote:Ha! the funny thing is that, I actually think that he would be a better taiji teacher then a whole lot of taiji teachers are.

Instead of following movement, most tai chi teachers of today would say something like "connect with the qi" or "use yi". They like to make it harder for their students and confuse them. Some of them believe that mystifying things is better for business as well as it nurture their ego better.... :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links