Ramzi Nabulsi grappling with some Malaysian PH champs

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Ramzi Nabulsi grappling with some Malaysian PH champs

Postby GrahamB on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:07 am

It's true - there's no evidence that the Malaysian guys are doing anything other than 'safe wrestling' but they don't seem to be using (know?) any wrestling/grappling techniques which puts them at a significant disadvantage against somebody who clearly knows how to wrestle, or at least has a basic grasp of takedowns and wrestling moves. He's using techniques like armdrags, body clinch and leg hooks that are not found in push hands competitions. The Malaysians are also significantly smaller, and lighter.

Most people learn in the school yard that big kids tend to win fights. We already know this.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:43 am

GrahamB wrote:. He's using techniques like armdrags, body clinch and leg hooks that are not found in push hands competitions.

leg hooks ( as well as other forms of tripping and sweeping) and arm drags are to be found. Holding on the back of the body without doing anything with it isn't allowed, but saying 'clinching' isn't found is perhaps more a matter of interpretation and specifics than anything else. Certainly some positions like a double neck tie are not allowed, but other positions you'de get away with. You can't grab and do nothing (grab and hold) but you can pull, hence you can armdrag, no problem.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:40 am

Bao wrote:If there's a knife fight and someone suddenly pulls out a gun, I think everyone know who will win.

If two people agree on a set of rules, the first one who breaks the agreement will usually have an advantage. Now, if you can claim that that person won or not is a different thing. When playing chess or football, everyone agrees that you can not cheat by altering the rules. Then you automatically lose and can not win. But when it comes to this kind of martial arts practice and meetings, many people think that it's ok to break the agreed rules.

...Anyway, in general, you can very easily judge a person's character, if he's a civilised gent or not, by his actions in this kind of environment. Celebrating someone for acting as jerk or taking advantage of people who have only good intentions is something I personally have very hard to respect. What is happening in this vid or what was the agreement at start, I can't really make a judgement about. But I don't have a very good gut feeling for what was going on before and after this recording. :-\

I think you're just making negative assumptions without foundation.

Victor Yen posted this video to his facebook page.

The conversation in the comments thread is 100% complimentary toward Ramzi.

Victor also posted his own clip of just his exchange with Ramzi to his own youtube page.

Tiger Tan posted a picture of himself, Victor, and Ramzi to his facebook page everyone is smiling.

I could go on, but it's pointless. You're simply reading negative intention and action into what was clearly a positive event for everyone who was actually there. I don't have access to any more information than you do, but the clip says they asked for non-standard push hands rules. I imagine they were interested in feeling western wrestling techniques.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:31 am

Ok then, thank you for explaining. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:53 am

GrahamB wrote: Especially if the guy is bigger and stronger.

the guy is huge compared to some of those opponents, he should have been throwing them around like ragdolls
0:16 is almost like me wrestling my 6 years old
Last edited by bartekb on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby junglist on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:34 pm

In conclusion,

If a big guy has skills, you're done for. Lol. Weight matters.
junglist
Anjing

Postby bartekb on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 am

one more thing you cvan see on those movies in my opinion - the MAlasyans are concentrating too much on palms, the other guy just goes more often straight for wrist, elbows, head control
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:22 am

no one seems to know how to keep contact
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links