Interview with Adam Mizner

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Interview with Adam Mizner

Postby charles on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:12 am

RobP3 wrote:... but imagine a 10 volume set on "Deployment of a Manual Geomorphological Modification Implement"

My technical writing professor used to tell us to "eschew obfuscation". :)
charles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:20 pm

The fact is there is a defined method in yang style but most don't teach the whole art
Standing exercises
Breathing
Walking
Slow form
Pushing
Walking pushing
Ta Lu
San shou solo and two man
Pole
Spear
Knife
Sword
All having exercises solo sets and two man
Fighting sets
Noi gung
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 pm

oragami_itto wrote:

As to what makes it superior, in my opinion it is more sophisticated. Chen guys are powerful, no question. Strong, hard, rooted, nothing to fuck with. A good Yang guy will make you start to question the nature of your reality and whether free will as a meaningful concept can exist in a universe where something like that can happen to you.

Ah,about time itto...
Nice slogan, reminds of the old days with my Yang teacher.

More sophisticated? And what excatly are you basing your personal experience on?

Yang guy makes me question reality? What are you basing that comment on?

The question that I asked you is...
You said Yang improved Chen, as in superior too. Now because i know personally that this statement is completely false, I can calmly and confidently
ask you "what are the exact improvements" "in what way has it been modified to make it superior" "what was the exact origin of those falsies."

Do you know that people think that if you put a car battery on concrete, The earth shorts out the battery and kills it? It's not true, but this falsehood
spread everywhere and people believe its true. It was only a false rumor...

So seeing how you said "utter bullshit," when i so kindly tried to correct a couple small errors. Would you kindly express as to how or where you got
you information from, by kindly answering the questions that you yourself created?
Thanks
Last edited by willie on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby origami_itto on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you for the congratulations, the girl's are why I practice.

willie wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

As to what makes it superior, in my opinion it is more sophisticated. Chen guys are powerful, no question. Strong, hard, rooted, nothing to fuck with. A good Yang guy will make you start to question the nature of your reality and whether free will as a meaningful concept can exist in a universe where something like that can happen to you.

Ah,about time itto...

More sophisticated? And what excatly are you basing your personal experience on?

You said Yang improved Chen, as in superior too. Now because i know personally that this statement is completely false, I can calmly and confidently
ask you "what are the exact improvements" "in what way has it been modified to make it superior" "what was the exact origin of those falsies."

Do you know that people think that if you put a car battery on concrete, The earth shorts out the battery and kills it? It's not true, but this falsehood

So seeing how you said "utter bullshit," when i so kindly tried to correct a couple small errors. Would you kindly express as to how or where you got
you information from, by kindly answering the questions that you yourself created?
Thanks

Willie,

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I stated my opinion, your opinion is different, they're both worth about half what it costs to read them.

You tell me what the difference is between Chen and Yang.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Bao wrote:
DuncanBP wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Or that a married man with a full time job, an 18 month old daughter, and another one due on Wednesday...

Congrats on the new arrival. :) Try to get some sleep, while you can. ;D

Congratulations from me as well. :) Cherish every moment you can spend together with your daughter.

If there were any blame to be placed for neutering Yang Taijiquan it would be somewhere in the Yang Chien Hou, Cheng Fu, Cheng Man Ching.

CMC taught self defense. Li Yaxuan, YCF's best student taught, and wrote many practical advice for, fighting.

I would blame the gov for watering down CMA and promoting Tai Chi as a health exercise and trying to control teachers about what they teach and how.

I honestly can't say anything about the taijiquan anybody else teaches or expresses. If it works to get you what you want then more power to you. I was only saying that, hypothetically, IF it were water down it would have been somewhere in that line, not that it WAS or that any of them DID.

My only complaint for the CMC crowd at large, other than that I don't care for the short form, is that they don't seem to study any weapons other than the jian.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby charles on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:29 pm

oragami_itto wrote:You tell me what the difference is between Chen and Yang.

The Chen as practiced by whom? The Yang as practiced by whom? If you go out and look around, you'll find that there is huge overlap in what some individual practitioners do under the name of each.

Is there some pure, unadulturated absolute that uniquely defines each of these things, or is just a bunch of principles that individual practitioners attempt to comprehend, interpret and implement? And, by what objective criteria do you assess who is "better" at comprehending, interpreting and implementing those principles?
charles
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:25 pm

oragami_itto wrote:Thank you for the congratulations, the girl's are why I practice.

willie wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

Ah,about time itto...

Thanks

Willie,

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I stated my opinion, your opinion is different, they're both worth about half what it costs to read them.

You tell me what the difference is between Chen and Yang.

Your not going to convince me of anything, I already know the truth.
And your wrong again, itto... people's opinions steer the masses, then the sheep who listened.....you know the answer.
willie

Postby willie on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:27 pm

charles wrote:
Is there some pure, unadulturated absolute that uniquely defines each of these things, or is just a bunch of principles that individual practitioners attempt to comprehend, interpret and implement? And, by what objective criteria do you assess who is "better" at comprehending, interpreting and implementing those principles?

Last edited by willie on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:02 pm

charles wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:You tell me what the difference is between Chen and Yang.

The Chen as practiced by whom? The Yang as practiced by whom? ]

Not to interfere with your online argument, but IMHO, there are no styles. Tai Chi is only a set of principles. "Style" is too limited for my own taste. It means that you limit yourself to a visual expression. Yang and Chen stylists all have their own individual flaws. One flaw is not better or worse than another one.
... Ok, pls go back to quarreling now... @@@

oragami_itto wrote:I honestly can't say anything about the taijiquan anybody else teaches or expresses. If it works to get you what you want then more power to you. I was only saying that, hypothetically, IF it were water down it would have been somewhere in that line, not that it WAS or that any of them DID.

Just like everyone before CMC, Chens or Yangs, there was things he taught in public and things he taught only indoors. The same can be said about CMC's student William Chen and probably about every single high level teacher regardless style or lineage.

Beginning in the 1950’s I was assigned to assist Professor Cheng in his advance internal body training which is to absorb a punch while he is asleep. This intensive training was carried out three times a day early morning, noon and late in the evening. I arrived at his house early in the morning and did not leave until late at night. This gave me a great opportunity to understand Professor Cheng’s lifestyle and martial arts skill. Every day, I listened to his lectures and his answers to questions about T’ai Chi Ch’uan asked by students and visitors who streamed to his house. I realized there are many advantages of staying in the Master’s house.

http://www.williamccchen.com/biograph.htm

Mr Chen has also described how he used the iron body skills in competitions and for performance. However, I have never heard about William Chen actually teaching this and other stuff he has mentioned in his writings. :-\

So the issue is not about Tai Chi being "watered down" or not. It's more about that some things are very easy to find, and some other things take time and effort to find or dig up. I wish that people wouldn't blame a whole art when they are just plain lazy for not trying harder to find a good teacher, or when they so easily give up when they discover that building skill takes a bit of time and effort... :P
Last edited by Bao on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:15 pm

[quote="Bao"]

;)
Last edited by willie on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:44 pm

willie wrote:wrong...
cc chen i believe uses k1 for fighting.

He was 60 years old when they had the first K1 match. I don't think he entered a K1 comp... But if course I might be wrong... :P

CMC much over rated.

The only thing I've heard is that people says it's too limp. If you can punch as hard as William Chen I can't see why "limp" should be a problem. :-\

Tai Chi is only a set of principles.

totally incorrect.

You for got the "IMHO"... ;)
Last edited by Bao on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:56 am

It has also been pointed out to me by a friend that In this case if you take a look I beleive he hits that guy with a pheonix eye fist in the solar plexus in the clip.

As Charles and Rob have noted, and if you have felt a hit around there; it really doesn't take too much force for it be very uncomfortable and unpleasant. And could fairly easily cause a reaction that would be disproportionate to what's obsereved on the face of it re. force.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:03 am

Hey George,

You're right - a little extended knuckle there puts all the mass into a very small point.

I do think that it's up to the person who takes the hit how they react though. I've let somebody who is a 'name' punch me from zero distance on the solar plexus, and damn it hurt like hell(!), but I didn't want to let them know that, so I took it like a man, didn't move a muscle and just nodded. :) I think a reaction of falling to the ground in pain would have been equally valid, but they were being a bit annoying (wouldn't let me do it back to them!) so I decided to show no reaction whatsoever. So, I think it depends who you do it on. Your minions are always going to give the best show for the camera as they are emotionally and usually heavily financially invested. ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:23 am

Yea those Systema guys like this one a lot. :)

I actually took a punch there in "real life" (lol) once in a set to at work (don't ask, the guy was always "aggy"). I was caught totally by surprise and it was so horrible I wanted to crumple and groan on the floor for a minute or two.. He had done/ did Karate.
Of course I completely styled it out and acted as if it was nothing and continued the verbal side of our "disagreement". . I'm pretty sure I couldn't hide the colour draining from my face though.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:57 am

jaime_g
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links