The Makiwara

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Makiwara

Postby Steve Rowe on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 am

WOMA just released this talk I did on using the makiwara, whatever art you do it can be a useful tool.

If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Re: The Makiwara

Postby Trick on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:32 am

Can not see the vid, no one has made any comment on it, maby because makiwara practice is generaly not considered as an ima exercise, too rigid and develop calluses on the knuckles. Although back in 1988 in Beijings Tiantan park i witnessed baguazhang practitioners striking tree trunks/branches, so hitting /striking "rigid" objects seems not unfamiliar to ima. But when i was back to China in 2003 i have not seen bagua nor taiji practitioners go into that kind of exercise only within Tongbei. Back in the 80's i was into Karate(shotokan) and in Sweden( at least in the club i was) there was no makiwara practice, after 5 years of Karate practice in Sweden i went to Japan/Okinawa and there i was introduced to the makiwara, although i had been hitting heavybags and focus mitts to some degree previous the makiwara was something else, i quickly found out how disconnected my body was. When i move back to Sweden i will probably build myself a makiwara, the practice has values.
Trick

Postby Steve Rowe on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 am

That's why I put it in here. With Yang Family 'dynamic pushing' through pressure you find the weaknesses in your peng, the 'springing' form of dynamic push hands sends it as a pulse and you can also explore the 13 dynamics there. The makiwara springs back from a ground root and will show any weaknesses in your structure and also help you to develop that 'bite' in your fa jing.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Really enjoyed that, thankyou. Good inspiration for exploring peng without the benefit of a partner. Lovely poem too, it's great to have the classics refreshed in that way.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Return to Video Links