Sam Masich Master Class 2016

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:37 pm



Thoughts?
Last edited by oragami_itto on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Rhen on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:17 am

I predict several Taiji "marketing" guys will steal some of Sam's knowledge and ride it as their own. It happens with the marketing guys...as their ideas run dry and they have nothing else and need to give their conned students new ideas. Sam is good, nothing pretentious there IMO.
Rhen
Santi
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 am

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby wiesiek on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:16 pm

well,
ahem
is he know what he is doin`?
gee, really he is the master but of what?
where is 8 brocades fro the title 1st,
2nd he is showing some drawings from 21 movments manual...
and what?
joyful usefullnes of the effords
User avatar
wiesiek
Wuji
 
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 am
Location: krakow

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Thoughts?

Why did he have to go to China to teach that class?
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 10683
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:07 pm

The set he is teaching there is the yang style noi gung
I teach that set slightly differently as mine comes down thru yang Chen fu
It is on YouTube described as yang pan hou ba tuan chin
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby willie on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Rhen wrote:I predict several Taiji "marketing" guys will steal some of Sam's knowledge and ride it as their own.


I hope your kidding, Right? LMAO!!!
willie
Wuji
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Trip on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Last edited by Trip on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trip
Huajing
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm no expert (have never practiced Yang style), but isn't the material he's teaching (the Yang family Baduanjin) pretty common in the Tian Zhaolin line?

Also the stuff with people pressing down and him being able to break their root is just good peng jin, which is a basic for real, good taiji.
nicklinjm
Huajing
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Shanghai,China

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:40 pm

GrahamB wrote:Thoughts?

Why did he have to go to China to teach that class?


I don't know about "have to," but that is Chen Zhonghua's place. Sam started going there as a guest judge for the push-hands competition a couple of years ago and I guess Joseph decided to offer him seminar space and time.
Last edited by Kevin_Wallbridge on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Nelson BC Canada

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby wiesiek on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:23 am

wayne hansen wrote:The set he is teaching there is the yang style noi gung
I teach that set slightly differently as mine comes down thru yang Chen fu
It is on YouTube described as yang pan hou ba tuan chin


set is present in both,/Yang and Chen/ or even all TJ school, I suppose ,
Difference in teaching lies in breathing pattern - normal breath in Yang, reverse breathing in Chen... 8-)
joyful usefullnes of the effords
User avatar
wiesiek
Wuji
 
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 am
Location: krakow

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:15 am

Where can I see the Chen version
What is tj
Last edited by wayne hansen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby wiesiek on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:50 am

I don`t know where you can see it,- never saw it on the net, but I `m not net-wizz anyway,
description I found years ago in one of the book about Tai ji /tj in short/,
sorry don`t remember which one, I -was MAs books collector once /have to go thru all my library to find it/
joyful usefullnes of the effords
User avatar
wiesiek
Wuji
 
Posts: 3389
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 am
Location: krakow

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Yugen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:42 am

I've never met him, but I have heard good things about him. His workshops in Vancouver are too overpriced for me generally.

From my beginner perspective, there are fundamentals I'm trying to work to correct. He demonstrates those fundamental flaws perfectly at 3:44.
His shoulders are rolled forward, his chin jutting forward (no crown suspension), his scapula protrudes during his push, which means he doesn't know how to use the shoulder properly.

That's where I stopped watching. In my training I oscillate back and forth between soft training and hard stressed training. In working slow, I seek the correct soft, sticky touch and correct body connection and movement. It's hard to do. If I'm trying to pull that off in Judo... well then, a lot of things go out the door fast!

my 2 cents.

... watched a little more .. at 4:26, why is he doing that against a little woman? Look at his scapula and back, he has to, it won't work against any man of equal or greater size with a moderate grappler's center. As I understand it the scapula should be moving down and out if he's using proper intent and shoulder rotation to connect the uproot with his legs and torso.
Last edited by Yugen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ryan
IMA Seattle
Yugen
Mingjing
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby windwalker on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:22 am

Yugen wrote:I've never met him, but I have heard good things about him. His workshops in Vancouver are too overpriced for me generally.

From my beginner perspective, there are fundamentals I'm trying to work to correct. He demonstrates those fundamental flaws perfectly at 3:44.
His shoulders are rolled forward, his chin jutting forward (no crown suspension), his scapula protrudes during his push, which means he doesn't know how to use the shoulder properly.

That's where I stopped watching. In my training I oscillate back and forth between soft training and hard stressed training. In working slow, I seek the correct soft, sticky touch and correct body connection and movement. It's hard to do. If I'm trying to pull that off in Judo... well then, a lot of things go out the door fast!

my 2 cents.

... watched a little more .. at 4:26, why is he doing that against a little woman? Look at his scapula and back, he has to, it won't work against any man of equal or greater size with a moderate grappler's center. As I understand it the scapula should be moving down and out if he's using proper intent and shoulder rotation to connect the uproot with his legs and torso.


good eye ;)
with a not so "beginner" understanding
rule 19
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 5437
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am
Location: Hisnchu, Taiwan

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:37 pm

What about the part where he says "sometimes I"m feeling a bit more martial" and he moves one way, then "other times I'm feeling more silky, and move in a silk reeling sort of way"? Around 8:30

What do you think of that in particular?
Last edited by oragami_itto on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Next

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest