Sam Masich Master Class 2016

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Yugen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:48 pm

oragami_itto wrote:What about the part where he says "sometimes I"m feeling a bit more martial" and he moves one way, then "other times I'm feeling more silky, and move in a silk reeling sort of way"?

What do you think of that in particular?


provide a time stamp please.
Ryan
IMA Seattle
Yugen
Mingjing
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Yugen wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:What about the part where he says "sometimes I"m feeling a bit more martial" and he moves one way, then "other times I'm feeling more silky, and move in a silk reeling sort of way"?

What do you think of that in particular?


provide a time stamp please.


At 8:30 he says "diagonal flying" and then does what looks like "Carry tiger" then says "snakes creep down" and does a similar movement, then the part I'm talking about.
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:07 pm

The more important thing for me is not where he raises his shoulders but his consistent loss of balance after doing applications on cooperative students
Does anyone know if the students were his or people resident in China
The mantis and dodging is quite rudimentary
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 2629
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Yugen on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:02 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
Yugen wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:What about the part where he says "sometimes I"m feeling a bit more martial" and he moves one way, then "other times I'm feeling more silky, and move in a silk reeling sort of way"?

What do you think of that in particular?


provide a time stamp please.


At 8:30 he says "diagonal flying" and then does what looks like "Carry tiger" then says "snakes creep down" and does a similar movement, then the part I'm talking about.


yep, found it... um ... so what? today he feels "martial" now he feels silky... tomorrow he could feel groovy... ok.

"martial" is a word I particularly don't like the liberal use of. Aspects of BJJ are not "martial" they are sport. Aspects of what he's showing is dance, not martial. But other than that I have no problem with how he says he feels.
Ryan
IMA Seattle
Yugen
Mingjing
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:06 pm

Just curious as to the communities thoughts.
I wouldn't presume to possess superior skill in any way, but that line in particular is very grating to me, since silk reeling energy is the fountain of the martial application of Taijiquan, so to hear them spoken of separately and distinctly is very strange. Was hoping for some more knowledgeable insight
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:26 pm

oragami_itto wrote:, since silk reeling energy is the fountain of the martial application of Taijiquan, so to hear them spoken of separately and distinctly is very strange. Was hoping for some more knowledgeable insight


IMHO It's hard to know what he's aiming at. Here, he's probably just speaking about having different focuses, practicing on various things at various things. I must admit that I like the more free and playful attitude. There's a certain creativity of practice that I feel is very important but few teachers encourage.

If he teach yang or Chen type of silk reeling, I don't know. But he says "like drawing silk", not reeling. In Yang style, drawing silk is a slightly different concept than Chen silk reeling. Regardless what, there are many schools that just teach it as a concept amongst others and don't teach it as a principle of foundation of movement, or only regard it as an element of form practice. :-\
Last edited by Bao on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5663
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby willie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 pm

oragami_itto wrote: Was hoping for some more knowledgeable insight


But haven't you already insulted the people who knew the correct answers. Why ask now? LOL!
Happy New Year...
Last edited by willie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:29 pm

willie wrote:
oragami_itto wrote: Was hoping for some more knowledgeable insight


But haven't you already insulted the people who knew the correct answers. Why ask now? LOL!
Happy New Year...


Have I?

You would be the expert on insults, I suppose.

Is there anyone else here who feels I have insulted them?
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 pm

oragami_itto wrote:Is there anyone else here who feels I have insulted them?


Insulted who? I don't think you have insulted anyone. Not even Willie. Frankly, I am a bit disappointed... -box-
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5663
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Bao wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Is there anyone else here who feels I have insulted them?


Insulted who? I don't think you have insulted anyone. Not even Willie. Frankly, I am a bit disappointed... -box-

Aww, thanks. Frankly I feel like I go out of my way to avoid insulting Willie. he just leaves it out there, beggin for it!
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby willie on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 am

oragami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Is there anyone else here who feels I have insulted them?


Insulted who? I don't think you have insulted anyone. Not even Willie. Frankly, I am a bit disappointed... -box-

Aww, thanks. Frankly I feel like I go out of my way to avoid insulting Willie. he just leaves it out there, beggin for it!


i feel sorry for you.
willie
Wuji
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:31 pm

willie wrote:i feel sorry for you.


Thank you! It's about time somebody recognized the struggles I face daily and exhibited an appropriate amount of sympathy.
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:59 am

I feel sorry for both of you, and this thread.
"The killer in me is the killer in you"- The Smashing Pumpkins.
http://www.taichinotebook.wordpress.com
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 10916
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Sam Masich Master Class 2016

Postby oragami_itto on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 am

You should blog about it, may help process those feelings
Soft is hard.
User avatar
oragami_itto
Wuji
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Previous

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest