Aunkai striking video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Aunkai striking video

Postby Wuming on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Wuming
Anjing

Re: Aunkai striking video

Postby littlepanda on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:24 am

Wow! nice

what does naka and soto mean?

littlepanda
Anjing

Postby I-mon on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 am

"naka" means "inside", "soto" means "outside".
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby littlepanda on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:22 am

thanx for the translation

of all the Akuzawas clips, this is the best I've seen. minimal movement.. maximum power
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby Ashura on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:28 am

Tom wrote:
littlepanda wrote:. . .

of all the Akuzawas clips, this is the best I've seen. minimal movement.. maximum power

Just curious . . . . Are any of Akuzawa's students approaching anything like his high level of connection and power? Some people outside of Japan have been training Aunkai methods for more than 10 years now, and he's got some long-time students in Tokyo as well . . . wondering what their experience has been. It's hard training requiring a lot of tenacity--respect to those able to sustain it.

Yes, there are several students in Tokyo who are now well versed in the Aunkai method and who, sometimes, teach on Akuzawa Sensei´s behalf abroad (mainly France where the biggest non Japanese "contingent" of students are learning the method). The reviews written by non practionners of the art are always enthusiastic.

Atemis are a very important part in Aunkai, there are a lot of exercices, generally taught in the first part of the training, which are meant to enhance the striking abilities in terms of connexion, power and impact. It is very painful to hold the pao when some of the guys really strike, especially low kicks.

Having been several times on the receiving end of Akuzawa Sensei´s strikes, I can attest that those strikes are indeed devastating. A lot of people have heavy punches and kicks and I have felt many of them be it Kyokushin, Daido Juku, Shidokan, Okinawan Karate, Muay Thai and so on, but the feeling in Aunkai is very different. It feels like the strike is going through the body, muscles and bones anf it seems that the bone and the muscles would break/explode from the inside. Terrible stuff and once you get hit, the only thing you do mange to think about is how to avoid being striked again at any cost.

Some people say that Aunkai is an austere training but to me, and to many others training the method, this is the most wonderful thing a martial art can offer and a fantastic journey.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Patrick on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:01 am

I rather think the unenthusiastic do not talk much about it ;D
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Ashura on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am

Patrick wrote:I rather think the unenthusiastic do not talk much about it ;D

Sure!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Josealb on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:12 am

Here's another one similar. I really like how he combines relaxation, fluidity, expansion and snap, all in one crisp short package, but what really impresses me is his ability to immediately follow with the same thing in one step/beat. Its hard to just do one, but to chain those mechanics requires something else.

Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 am

Me Likey! Dudes got the juice!!!
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Ashura on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am

This one is also very intersting since the movement is performed a little bit slower.

Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Wuming on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Are any of Akuzawa's students approaching anything like his high level of connection and power?

Hi Tom,
In my experience of training (specific to me) focusing on power, vice, balance has been a mistake. Things dramatically improved for me when I focused on balance (first mine, then the opponents), and then I could focus on applying power correctly.

Conceptually, this isn't much different from boxing, where from what I've seen, the best coaches focus on shot placement (via correct head movement, foot work, and yes, balance) far before they focus on power.

It's been my experience that people who focus on power over movement, end up being not very good fighters, and I myself suffered a degradation of skills when I focused on "teh int3rn4l p0w3r."

Everyone is, however, different, and I'm sure for some people, a focus on power is a worthwhile use of their time.
Last edited by Wuming on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wuming
Anjing

Postby Ashura on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 am

Actually, power comes from connection. Akuzawa Sensei´s strikes and throws are powerful because he is connected not because he has worked on power specifically. As a matter of fact, the Aunaki method emphasizes connection, hence the tanren and kunren.

I think Rob explained it very precisely in the past on various boards included this one. Of course, we are all different and we first need to try, and possibly fail a couple of time before grasping the concept. Sometimes, words and explanations are just not enough. In Aunkai you need to understand the concept and then apply it with/through your body. It is both an intellectual and physical work. Understanding the underlying principle and then applying it.

Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:47 am

Ashura wrote:Actually, power comes from connection. Akuzawa Sensei´s strikes and throws are powerful because he is connected not because he has worked on power specifically. As a matter of fact, the Aunaki method emphasizes connection, hence the tanren and kunren.

Add speed, or maybe even better said: "acceleration", to "connection" and you'll have a winning concept. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 am

Wuming wrote:In my experience of training (specific to me) focusing on power, vice, balance has been a mistake. Things dramatically improved for me when I focused on balance (first mine, then the opponents), and then I could focus on applying power correctly.

Conceptually, this isn't much different from boxing, where from what I've seen, the best coaches focus on shot placement (via correct head movement, foot work, and yes, balance) far before they focus on power.

It's been my experience that people who focus on power over movement, end up being not very good fighters, and I myself suffered a degradation of skills when I focused on "teh int3rn4l p0w3r."

I agree. Connection is good for as long as you can maintain a connection. I prefer position, placement and precision.
Maybe I'm missing something with these clips, they look ok but nothing major?
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Ashura on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 am

My boxing coach does emphasize precision and "cleanliness" while striking but here the whole concept is definetely different. With the correct connexion, wherever you hit, the impact is going to be felt very deeply as the strikes do penetrate inside the body as I described above. Having been several times on the receiving end of those strikes, I can only attest that I have never ever been in a position to just stand toe to toe with Akuzawa Sensei even though I outweigh him by some 30 Kg.

The same can be said about joint locks. In the various classical Japanese schools, the level of precision in the locks is nearly surgical and, more than often, the devil is in the details and those locks are both powerful and painful. In Aunkai, there are no such technical subtelties, you "receive" so to speak the structure and you are downed even before you can realize it. I got kotegaeshi'ed last year and could take a safe fall, my buttock hit the wooden floor so hard that I believed it was injured ;D .

The day after, a tomoe nage coming out of nowhere made me fall on my butt again, I was lucky enough to land on tatami mats this time. Thinking of it now, it is very funny but back then.........

Again, the whole concept is different. Please note that by saying different, I do not imply better or superior than other methods or concepts.

The first thing to learn in Aunkai is to sit, stand up and walk "correctly", then move on. Basically, Akuzawa Sensei just moves and applies the frame he has developped throughout the years. It might sound crazy but that is the way it is.

Ashura
Mingjing

Next

Return to Video Links