Aunkai striking video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Aunkai striking video

Postby RobP3 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 am

Ashura wrote:

The first thing to learn in Aunkai is to sit, stand up and walk "correctly", then move on. Basically, Akuzawa Sensei just moves and applies the frame he has developped throughout the years. It might sound crazy but that is the way it is.

No, doesn't sound crazy I think that's a very good approach. Get your mechanics and frame sound and let everything else develop from there
Last edited by RobP3 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 am

Interesting concepts. However, I haven't seen videos of him or his students applying the concepts in non-compliant sparring or competition. I am not saying they don't have skills.

littlepanda wrote:thanx for the translation

of all the Akuzawas clips, this is the best I've seen. minimal movement.. maximum power

IMO, why display power on the hand pads, rather than a heavy bag? One benefit of the pads is the holder can move, while the puncher can deliver punches on a moving target.

Wuming wrote:Hi Tom,
In my experience of training (specific to me) focusing on power, vice, balance has been a mistake. Things dramatically improved for me when I focused on balance (first mine, then the opponents), and then I could focus on applying power correctly.

Conceptually, this isn't much different from boxing, where from what I've seen, the best coaches focus on shot placement (via correct head movement, foot work, and yes, balance) far before they focus on power.

It's been my experience that people who focus on power over movement, end up being not very good fighters, and I myself suffered a degradation of skills when I focused on "teh int3rn4l p0w3r."

Everyone is, however, different, and I'm sure for some people, a focus on power is a worthwhile use of their time.

Here is training power and the ability to deliver it on a moving opponent.

Published on Nov 27, 2012
Chris Robinson was on hand inside of Abel Sanchez's Summit Gym in Big Bear, CA as Sanchez put in work with his fighter, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (24-0, 21 KO's) ahead of his January 19th HBO date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRsxQ5uSP0Y

From Robert Tangora Tai Chi Cloud Hands Interview,
This is kind of the place where I say, you can do the cross body power stuff and you can do it just purely as bio-mechanics. And it’s quite effective. It’s actually very efficient. And actually I allude to this in the book, but a good example of this if you want to see it, watch the documentary ‘When We Were Kings’, which was the Foreman-Ali documentary that was done before the fight in Zaire, and there’s a scene where they show Foreman hitting a heavy bag. And it’s the biggest heavy bag that you can get, something like about 150 pounds. And he’s hitting it and he’s basically indented it, like it was a basketball or watermelon from just hitting it. And what George Foreman did very well is exactly what cross body power is:

Published on Jan 21, 2014
George Foreman Hitting the bag with all his power THREE different times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQlzehYyfo
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:38 am

A bullet is small but why is it deadly? = speed.

The saying from Shaolin is "Punch like a stone at the end of a string (thin rope)" Thus your fist is the stone and your arm is loose and supple like a rope (no resistance). You also need "Body harmony"...the sensei's (in the video) right fist punching out fast would be nothing without the left side moving accordingly...this is basic kung fu.

In the 2nd video (video 1469280437) for example, his actual strike is very fast (has the juice) but the moment before is what a professional is looking at. His body tell and movement prior is what I'd be looking at and how I deal with it (from a distance)
You cannot wait to see a strike, you need to use peripheral vision when at a distance. After a block, bridge connection of some type or just he's grabbing or touching me.... it's different.

======================================================================================
Don't read below unless you want to hear my crazy rants.
======================================================================================
To use my favorite analogy:
However this is a bullet but not the Gun. It's only a weapon or tool but you still need the ability to launch it or more appropriately...you still need to set it up.

The Gun is your ability to set up your opponent in order to be able to use your bullets. With out this, the best strikes in the world are mostly ineffective.

Fighting professionally taught me this, it's hard to explain one's own epiphany.

In the 90's I specifically trained (3) individual strikes that I could use from arms length(fist touching the bag) distance to completely dislodge and take off it's 4 holding chains a 200lb heavy bag knocked to the floor. = with just one strike. It took 6months total with thousands of repetitions (failures). For a size reference I'm 5-11" and weighed 190lbs at the time.

* You can spar and fight till you're blue in the face and it doesn't matter how good your strikes are, if you can't set them up properly... = You opponent will always take a piece of it from you, or deny you the ability to land it FULL. That is a cold hard reality that I fought and paid for.

I fought MMA, San Shou and street and I came to some realizations about my Kung Fu. No, I’m not about to be one of those guys who does a complete 180, gives up and goes straight to BJJ and Muay Thai. To the contrary I used those experiences to help me understand how to apply traditional kung fu in a more real world setting. Starting from entry methods down to escaping.

That's what most of my seminars cover, how to bridge modern with traditional in a more realistic way. It's also what most of my gripes on this board are about! When I see dudes who don't have the experience trying to show how to apply traditional methods and they really don't have a clue as to how they'd really work.

I've actually done some YT videos on the subject:
- Kung Fu Basics: Attacking a Closed Gate
- Kung Fu Basics: Mind your openings
- Discussion on Emptiness Sifu Onassis Parungao
Subitai
Huajing

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:58 am

Subitai wrote:A bullet is small but why is it deadly? = speed.

The saying from Shaolin is "Punch like a stone at the end of a string (thin rope)" Thus your fist is the stone and your arm is loose and supple like a rope (no resistance). You also need "Body harmony"...the sensei's (in the video) right fist punching out fast would be nothing without the left side moving accordingly...this is basic kung fu.

I like the body movement in the first video.

Subitai wrote:In the 2nd video (video 1469280437) for example, his actual strike is very fast (has the juice) but the moment before is what a professional is looking at. His body tell and movement prior is what I'd be looking at and how I deal with it (from a distance)
You cannot wait to see a strike, you need to use peripheral vision when at a distance. After a block, bridge connection of some type or just he's grabbing or touching me.... it's different.

In the second video, he shows fundamental mistakes. He throws the right hand and leaves it down. Then, he retracts it way back. If he did this in a real fight, he would be knocked out by a trained fighter.

Akuzawa looks faster and more impressive than a boxer. However, if you took away the extra movements, it may look the same.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:01 pm

marvin8 wrote:In the second video, he shows fundamental mistakes. He throws the right hand and leaves it down. Then, he retracts it way back. If he did this in a real fight, he would be knocked out by a trained fighter.

Akuzawa looks faster and more impressive than a boxer. However, if you took away the extra movements, it may look the same.

I don't know if I would call it "mistakes". Here he shows body movement, not how to fight someone. I am sure he would do at least slightly different against an opponent in a fight.

(...Though practicing what you call "mistakes" solo can give bad habits when you are against someone, even in sparring. There are many types of movements and combos in various styles like Tongbei and Hunggar that are there in forms for practicing shenfa, body method, but should be taken most lightly when it comes to real fighting. If you don't understand this and try to fight with some of these combos, that are very good for practicing "connection" or "fluidity", in a real fight you are almost automatically fxcked. But all of this is OT, so I leave this comment in these bent bows things that I am too tired to remember what they are called...)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:07 am

I-mon wrote:"naka" means "inside", "soto" means "outside".

Actually, naka 中 means center or middle.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:12 am

Nice clips. By my standards, I'd say Ark is applying his internal body mechanics in an external manner, which appears quite effective.

Don't mean it as slag or anything -- just an observation.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Ashura on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:30 am

marvin8 wrote:In the second video, he shows fundamental mistakes. He throws the right hand and leaves it down. Then, he retracts it way back. If he did this in a real fight, he would be knocked out by a trained fighter.

I see your point and it is indeed a very valid one but I definetely agree with the great Swede´s analysis. Akuzawa Sensei was a Sanda competitor back in the days, if I recall well, he even represented Japan in an international tournament.

What is important in the videos, is the explosive power that Akuzawa Sensei is able to generate. I can only talk about my own experience but since I had the priviliege to spar with him, even though it lasted a coupke of seconds, the feeling is a wawe of uncanny energy submerging you. With only two strikes, a left/right combination, I was thrown against the wall which was 1 meter behind me and I had to disengage by running away. There was no other alternative.

I have been punched many times throughout the years just like everybody, got some bruises, a broken nose, blue/black eyes among other things but I had never experienced something like that.

As Sensei says, it is important to remember how it felt and then try to reproduce it, so while being on the receiving end has potentially some drawbacks ;D , it is part of the learning process.
See where there is no shape, hear where there is no sound.

Väck ej björnen som sover.
Ashura
Mingjing

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 am

C.J.W. wrote:Nice clips. By my standards, I'd say Ark is applying his internal body mechanics in an external manner, which appears quite effective.

Don't mean it as slag or anything -- just an observation.

And a correct observation.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby asiawide on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 am

Tom wrote:
littlepanda wrote:. . .

of all the Akuzawas clips, this is the best I've seen. minimal movement.. maximum power

Just curious . . . . Are any of Akuzawa's students approaching anything like his high level of connection and power? Some people outside of Japan have been training Aunkai methods for more than 10 years now, and he's got some long-time students in Tokyo as well . . . wondering what their experience has been. It's hard training requiring a lot of tenacity--respect to those able to sustain it.

Rob John and Alex Lee are probably best guys who can explain Akuzawa in plain english.

Jaemin
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:23 pm

I would like to see him sparing to see if he can generate the same power on a consistent real time basis
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby asiawide on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 pm

George Foreman Hitting the bag with all his power THREE different times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQlzehYyfo[/quote]

One of my peers is teaching TKD to cerebral palsy kids for volunteering. He told me the kids are suck at katas because it's almost impossible them to remember katas. However, he told me the their punch is very strong even if they can't punch at horse stance which is 1st thing to do. He&me didn't understand why so but it seems the kids are not punching by arms but whole body. Their body is rigid but it makes 'whole' body and they are just sending the weight of body through arms. Hitting video reminds me of the episode.

Jaemin
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby asiawide on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I would like to see him sparing to see if he can generate the same power on a consistent real time basis

He doesn't(or veeeerrry minimal) use winding or some pre-setup for punching&kicking. He may lose at ring. But I don't wanna mess up with him on street.

Jaemin
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 pm

It is the street where I think that type of power generation might be found wanting
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby bruised on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 pm

thanks OP! great vids and good discussions in here. i see a lot of parallels in my own training with most of what said here.
bruised
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links